Profile for E. Hardy > Reviews

Daughter
Daughter
by Jane Shemilt

4.0 out of 5 stars like Jenny, I have been and still am a ..., 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Paperback)
Daughter is totally absorbing and has the reader guessing to the last few pages. I resonated with me as I am sure it did with every mother of teenage daughters; particularly as, like Jenny, I have been and still am a working, professional mother.
Might one of my daughters feel toward me as Naomi feet towards her mother? I dont know. Is it a singularly middle class phenomena, that children who have every life advantage can find reasons, like Jenny's children to be dissatisfied with their parents' role?Then, I would argue that it is the role of the parent to ride the storm of the narcistic teenage brain and not accept the guilt unreservedly.
I have really enjoyed this book because it has made me think about my own relationship with my family. I would have sussed out the unfaithful husband a mile off I suspect, but I will try harder to listen to my children and not talk at them.

GCSE Modern World History for Edexcel: The era of the Cold War 1943-1991: International Relations 1945-1991
by Steve Waugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 29 May 2012
I love this book, I have to use it to study for my modern history GCSE and although the topic has to cover a vast expanse of knowledge this book really helps you do it.
The book has pictures graphs and easy bullet point that really help you learn,I really recommend this product.

A Fine Balance
A Fine Balance
by Rohinton Mistry

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Balance, 20 May 2006
This review is from: A Fine Balance (Paperback)
This is a truly great book. It chronicles the story of 4 individuals from very different sectors of the Indian Caste system.

Not only does it accurately portray the political and social situation in India in the 1970s,it reflects the predudices within the upper castes and the fatalistic attitude of the lower castes, formed from their religious beliefs that suffering is their destiny and the reward will be in the afterlife.

This story is overwhelmingly sad and also shocking as the reader can identify the ethical question of human suffering for a possibly laudable goal (in this case it is population control). However, the novel is also uplifting in a peculiar way; that individuals who struggle so hard to exist in appalling conditions can find joy in their lives is humbling. It also allows the reader to identify with the predudices and to see a situation from another side. Maybe at the end of the book, the reader feels that they have grown a little in spirit and have the capacity to be a 'better' person as a result.

For me, the mark of a great book is one that remains with you long after the back page is read. This is such a book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2011 10:50 PM GMT