Profile for bandcandy > Reviews

bandcandy "bandcandy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Nov. 2016
Beautifully made and delivered very promptly.

The Attenbury Emeralds
The Attenbury Emeralds
by Jill Paton Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Attenbury Emeralds (Paperback)
As an avid fan of Dorothy Sayers’ Wimsey books I was tempted to read more stories about the characters I love so much. So perhaps I started with my expectations too high, as Sayers was a writer of exceptional skill. Jill Paton Walsh has a nice, light, readable style, but is simply not in the same class as Sayers.

The author re-introduces a number of familiar characters, including Peter and Harriet, and also a new set relevant to this particular story. Her treatment of new characters, which were well drawn, seemed to me to be more successful than her use of Sayers’ characters. Particularly in the case of Peter, Harriet and Bunter I felt that, despite the passage of time, they had not developed in any way and they came over as pale shadows of the personalities I had encountered in previous books written by Sayers. I also felt that the historical context of the Sayers’ books added to their charm, whereas this had been largely lost in the update.

The mystery element of the story took many twists and turns and there was a scattering of murders along the way for good measure. The motivation of the perpetrator was well made out, but at the first introduction of the character they were marked out as the one to watch, but then faded out of the story so that the plot wasn’t fully woven together.

Having said all that, the story was pleasant reading and would probably be enjoyed most by a reader fresh to the Wimsey stories.

Amazon Fire Phone, 32 GB (O2)
Amazon Fire Phone, 32 GB (O2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely phone, easy to adapt to my preferences, 12 Feb. 2015
This was a birthday present and I am delighted with this great phone. Having had a Kindle Fire tablet I found the Fire Phone both easy to use and quick to set up just the way I like it with all my Apps and also my library of Kindle books readily available. The sound quality of my music is good and I also use the Fire Phone for my collection of Audible books. All this on top of being useful as a phone, of course. I would particularly recommend this phone for someone like me, who hasn’t had a smart phone before, and wants something that is easy and intuitive to set up and can be quickly adapted to their own preference without too many confusing options.

STEAMPUNK TITANIC (Five Short Tales)
STEAMPUNK TITANIC (Five Short Tales)

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly written and ingenious, 9 July 2014
Some of the most elegantly written, clever and entertaining stories that I have read in a long time. The author creates five intriguing scenarios around the fateful day the Titanic sank with some ingenious new twists. Probably my favourite involves the presence of Dr H. Wells and his Time Machine. The characters in all the stories are nicely drawn and quickly come to life. And I do love the Flying Vests!

Day of the Triffids [DVD] [1981]
Day of the Triffids [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ John Duttine

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic PA series, 23 Feb. 2014
This adaptation of John Wyndham's The Day of the Triiffids keeps closely to the original story whilst updating the action to the early 1980s (the book was published in 1951). Of course now even the 1980s setting has dated, but is still works well with the story.The weakest point is probably the depiction of the Triffids which, apart from the lashing sting, are rather slow and static and faintly comical. At no point do they really feel threatening. I also found the music and sound effects heavy-handed at times. But Triffids is a great story which has stood the test of time and it is dramatized here very effectively, so I do recommend watching this version.

Alain Mecon French Mixed Red White Rose Case - 6 x 750ml
Alain Mecon French Mixed Red White Rose Case - 6 x 750ml
Offered by Fine Wine Sellers

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Jan. 2014
I was sent this box of wine as a Christmas gift and was pleased to find that every bottle was enjoyable - smooth reds, crisp whites and a pleasant rose. I would definitely recommend this selection.

Bittersweet (Book #2) (The Bumpkinton Tales)
Bittersweet (Book #2) (The Bumpkinton Tales)

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely charming, 26 Dec. 2013
I was recommended this book as being "just my thing" - and indeed it was, being a completely charming story set in an archetypal (but quirky) English village. There were some nicely drawn characters, a dash of conflict and bitchiness, and a gently unwinding story which touched the heart. The themes of loss, broken dreams and dreams fulfilled were well handled. An enjoyable read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 12:59 PM GMT

Sekonda Crystalla Women's Quartz Watch with Mother of Pearl Dial Analogue Display and Multicolour Nylon Bracelet 4062.71
Offered by Watch Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely watch - very pretty, 6 Dec. 2013
I bought this for myself when it was on offer and have been wearing it for the last few days. It is very attractive and the face is clearly good quality. I soon got used to the closure on the wrist band and am delighted with it. Although I bought it for the "bargain" price, I think it would still be value for money at the current price.

A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by Shop4World

4.0 out of 5 stars Action, action..., 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: A Good Day to Die Hard [DVD] (DVD)
Action, action...a little bit of father/son dynamic...action. I am a Die Hard fan and nothing was going to stop me watching this new offering. Of course it wasn't as good as the original film, but it delivered everything I was hoping for. I didn't want a complex plot, just plenty of action with John McClane and son, and that is what I got. If you are new to Die Hard I would suggest watching the first film Die Hard [DVD] [1989] before you look at this one, but even if you don't, I think the chemistry is there between the father and son and there is certainly enough action to keep anyone on the edge of their seat. If you are looking for a credible plot, you may be disappointed.

Harry Potter - The Deathly Hallows Part II
Harry Potter - The Deathly Hallows Part II

4.0 out of 5 stars Inevitably dark and dramatic, 17 April 2013
Probably the Harry Potter soundtrack I find to be the least easy to listen to - although this is no reflection on the skill of the composer. Alexandre Desplat has created a powerful and effective accompaniment to the action of the film, but it is the darkest of all the films and unrelieved by the lighter touches of humour and sheer magic of some of the earlier offerings. No place here for the sparkle of Hedwig's Theme, the soaring sense of freedom in Buckbeak's Flight, the charm of the upbeat Potter Waltz or the brilliant musical comedy of Professor Umbridge or Aunt Marge's Waltz. Instead there are some powerful, dramatic and occasionally triumphant pieces - my favourites being Dragon Flight and Battlefield. The composer makes subtle use of the original Harry Potter theme. A satisfying conclusion to my Harry Potter music collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9