Profile for S. Stevens > Reviews

Content by S. Stevens

S. Stevens "Gadget Freak and Avid Chef" (Hertfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
BeGrit Garden Hose Pipe One Way Adapter Tap Connector Fitting For Irrigation 2-pack
Offered by Shuweiuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and better than the tap adapter that came ..., 28 July 2016
Great price and better than the tap adapter that came with my irrigation kit (which broke being made of brittle plastic). I like this is a 2-pack just in case something happens to one I have another to fall back on, but I suspect the they will last quite a while and I will lose the other in the depths of my shed before I need it.

Volvic Sugar Free Orange Fruit Water, 1.5l
Volvic Sugar Free Orange Fruit Water, 1.5l

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, no bad aftertaste*, 14 Jun. 2016
Very subtle and no bad after taste from the sweetners. *This obviously depends on whether you are used to excessively sweet drinks or not, but having drastically cut down on my sugar intake recently, this tastes quite nice.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, 31 July 2013
This product certainly did not absorb in to the skin and especially not the face. I would say it possibly absorbed more on my arms, but much less than other sun creams.

I followed the instructions to the letter and I still caught the sun with this cream after being out in the sun for only 2 hrs. For an SPF100, that's pretty poor.

Waterproof wise, i'd say after 20 minutes of swimming it was gone from my face and neck and I could feel myself beginning to burn.

I'd read so many great reviews on this product, so either I am different to everyone (which I don't rule out), or most of the reviewers don't know their elbow from their... well. fill in the blank. However, my partner and son have totally different skin to me, and they had the same problems.

Try this out before you go on your holidays. I ended up having to purchase some more sun cream from a very limited selection from a tiny shop in a small Spanish town. It was SPF50 and water 'resistant' (not waterproof) and did a far better job through the day and the remaining week away than the Neutrogena stuff.

A pricey mistake.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and well presented gift, 26 Jan. 2012
I bought this as a gift for my parents and it came nicely presented. You definitely don't wan't a simple or brown box for an item like this. The dark colours and velvet feel of the case (inside) are a great contrast with the steel and on the whole makes a great looking set.

I never got to use the knives, I'm not sure my parents every will either, as they think the set looks great just to have as 'looking at' cheese knives :-)

But they are compact in size (not small) so they won't overcrowd your cheese board if its already full of goodies.

Iphone 4 4S Diamante Bling case,Diamond Crystal Full case front and back
Iphone 4 4S Diamante Bling case,Diamond Crystal Full case front and back
Offered by CELLBELL LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, great value and looks great, 26 Jan. 2012
I purchased this case for my partner (along with the phone to go inside it!) for Christmas.

Because of the design, it does have a shiny / gemstone / bling look and feel to it and the girlfriend loved it!

The case snaps on easily enough, front and back, gives a chunkiness to the phone, so I feel reassured wont be dropped lol.

Another good point was that I had to remove the case a couple of times (sim issues) and it went back together as solidly as the first time. I did think it might have been a snap on, break off kind of thing for the price, but this was a welcome surprise.

Only negative point which is why I marked it down one star, is that some of the case intruded a little too far over the camera light which caused odd looking photos (like they were taken in the 70's on a camera with the flash to close to the lens), but after a slight trim, this is now resolved.

T&G Woodware Mini Chopping Board With Cheese Print
T&G Woodware Mini Chopping Board With Cheese Print

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab..., 26 Jan. 2012
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my parents and it looks great.

As per other reviews, its not large, but you can get a quite a few cheeses on for just presenting / displaying, or 2-3 (max) if you wanted to use the board for cutting at well.

Delivered quickly, and greatly priced.

Sugar Animals (Twenty to Make)
Sugar Animals (Twenty to Make)
by Frances McNaughton

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple once you know how!, 26 Jan. 2012
This book is a great introduction on how to produce amazing results without being a world class sculptor.

The techniques are very simple but effective, and once you have done the examples in this book, you certainly feel up to tackling other animals, visually de-constructing them in your mind whenever you're out and about :-)

No tools really necessary, you can get a away with using a sharp knife and cutlery for most of the effects (be imaginative!).

Have also ordered as gifts for friends and family. Highly recommended.

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-511): Windows® Application Development with Microsoft® .NET Framework 4
by Matthew A. Stoecker

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not deliver unfortunately, 26 Jan. 2012
I purchased this book to help me prepare for the certification. It says on the back: "Ace your preparation for the skills measured by the MCTS Exam 50-511" - That is somewhat misleading.

All in all I am very disappointed with the book, for the following reasons:

- Content (very important!) - The book does not cover all the areas you need for the exam. I would expect a book that calls itself an exam prep guide to include references to all the topics in the exam, even if it is just a mention of something you should go away and look into yourself. Yet large areas were missed out of the book. Not a single reference to LINQ or PLINQ, and the aspects of Security were very much glossed over (you will get in-depth, full-on questions about security in the exam believe me). Again, even if the book just told you what areas research so that you knew, but nothing like that.

- Style - The book just doesn't flow right. Also, little things like there are several areas where a code sample is used to make a point, then the very next paragraph on the same page reproduces the same sample to make a slightly different point (maybe with a few words in bold, but without it being necessary on a 4 line code sample). Some samples are used when really, they are not needed. This is also mirrored unfortunately where samples are needed, but not supplied. I certainly had the feeling at times as though the book was trying to meet a minimum page count! Some chapters are not logically organised, and you feel the book changing gears (up and down) quite a lot when read cover to cover.

- Target audience - Who is this book really for? It says it is an exam prep, spends two thirds of the book using MessageBox.Show() in the examples, then decides (at this point) to explain how to use MessageBox.Show()!! Again, either an example of padding, or just poor understanding of the target audience. Even if you didn't know what this did when you bought the book, you certainly grasped it way before they explained it! It seems they over explain the simple bits and gloss over the complex parts.

- Errors - The book does contain a lot of typographical errors. Some are clearly cut and paste errors (like in the sample printed questions where you have 4 subtly different code samples, they all contain the same error!), letters missed out, spaces missing between types and variables in code samples (easy to work out, but will throw you for a second). It is as if the book was proof read by a non technical person, as a good percentage are code errors.

- Book vs Online resources - I found myself delving into the MSDN stuff quite a lot when going through this book, and I have to say it seems as though there are times when the MSDN and book content seem as though they were written by the same person. Not in a good way, but in a way where you can't help wonder if maybe the author read / researched those sections online and rehashed them for the book? I know there are only so many ways to explain things, but after reading the book and comparing a lot of it to online resources, its just a nagging feeling.

I feel this book is more suited to be an introduction to WPF and general application development, certainly not an exam prep. There are a few good points though, for example you do get an electronic copy of the book on CD to use on your laptop or whatever when you are out and about, and the CD includes some sample questions (about 200 I think?) using the MeasureUp engine. The questions themselves are provided by Microsoft, so if you wanted to purchase any MeasureUp exam questions, there isn't that many the same (again, there are only so many ways to ask a question, so there will be some similar). If your budget stretches, I highly recommend this option.

I have other Microsoft press books, but be warned, better not to use as exam prep guides.

World of Data� - 5m Flat HDMI Cable - Premium Quality - 24k Gold Plated - 1080p - v1.3 - Audio - Video - Lead - Shielded
Offered by World of Data Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price, fantastic quality..., 17 Jan. 2012
First thing you notice about this cable is its weight. It feels like a quality product, not too heavy, but not flimsy and light either. Because it is flat, it does have much more of a presence if not hidden under a carpet or in ducting etc - For example, I use it to connect my PC (with hdmi output) to the TV, and they are not right next to each other (hence the length), and with all that floor real-estate between the 2 and no way to really conceal a thick-looking black cable, maybe they should offer a white version to?(!)

The cable is over 1cm wide (11.5mm wide by 3.5mm deep if you're interested!) and the only reason I purchased it was due to the length and price, the 2 factors important to me. I got a quality feeling cable at the right length and price, if not a little too visible for some.

Happy Puppy Maris The Monkey Tennis Ball Dog Toy
Happy Puppy Maris The Monkey Tennis Ball Dog Toy

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough toy, but no match for a habitual destroyer of squeaky toys, 17 Jan. 2012
This is quite a tough little toy. Its made of the same material (in the most part) that dog tennis balls are made of - you know, the ones that don't bounce. I was quite concerned before ordering, that the focus would be the monkey's head, and soon we would have a decapitated toy (or dis-figured at best), however, it turns out the best place to bite to get the squeak is the other end :-)

The toy is quite tough to squeak even for an adult, but any dog with powerful jaws gets a good time out of making it squeak. I have a small dog, a Terrier/Lhasa Apso cross and he loves to destroy squeaky toys. At some point soon after discovering they squeak, he likes to do exploratory surgery with his teeth. Being so tough, this toy lasted longer than others, but persistence is the key and soon my dog had pierced and torn a hole in the non-monkey headed end.

Apart from being de-squeaked, the toy is a nice size and good for tugs of war and fetch. I'm surprised the monkey's head doesn't really get that much attention, but that might just be my dog, and actually means I get the non-slobbery end all the time when playing.

I would say timid dogs that don't like to really get their teeth into toys may never hear the squeak, but other than that, a good purchase.

Page: 1 | 2