Profile for Dave Ansell > Reviews

Pride and Joy : Taking the Streets of New York City
Pride and Joy : Taking the Streets of New York City
by Jurek Wajdowicz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ...but not that good, 8 Aug. 2017
This is a well produced book of high quality print production. It is a photography book (as it says) but almost every photo is of an individual. There are hardly any photos of the actual Pride parade, and not one photo that tells you this is New York (other than the odd placard saying 'New York'). It could be any pride parade in the US. I have never attended Pride in the US but I assume there are floats and marching groups just like Pride parades in the UK ...but they are not featured here. It is worth buying but I felt very disappointed with it - an opportunity missed, I feel.

The Salt of the Earth DVD
The Salt of the Earth DVD
Dvd ~ Sebastião Salgado

5.0 out of 5 stars Very revealing and well worth buying, 20 July 2017
This review is from: The Salt of the Earth DVD (DVD)
A fascinating film about Salgado and his motives, with some useful extras.

Five Children on the Western Front
Five Children on the Western Front
by Kate Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive adaptation of an old favourite, 20 July 2017
I love E Nesbit and was intrigued when I found some recent adaptations of The Five Children and It. I read Jacqeline Wilson's Four Children and It, and bought the DVD of The Return of the Psammead (BBC) by Helen Cresswell. I found these were similar to each other and, in many ways, to the original, but I enjoyed both of them. Kate Saunders book, however, is by far the best. I was a little put off by the idea of the five children dealing with World War 1, but the story is mature and does not try to hide the horror of war. It is funny, intelligent and moving - I became quite emotional towards the end. An excellent read and a rewarding experience, I would think, if read to a child with the idea of WW1 explained.

1116 CD/528 DVD Storage Shelf Rack Unit Adjustable Book Bluray Video Games(Black)
Offered by Lillyvale1

5.0 out of 5 stars Well impressed, 20 July 2017
I agree with those reviewers who have said that this is an excellent unit. It arrived four days early (might be a problem for some people though) and was well packaged in two large and heavy boxes. You may not want to put it together immediately but it says on the packaging that the unit cannot be returned after 24 hours, so you need to check it is all there. The unit is put together in IKEA fashion, so if you are used to IKEA flatpacks, you should have no problem. I find, with IKEA, that one problem is when I bang in the nails to attach the backing - I often just miss the supports/shelves and the nail comes out the other side. On this product there are handy holes to hammer the nails through - a great innovation (maybe IKEA do this now). It will be easier if there are two of you to put this together, especially after the unit is finished and you have to move it, but I managed on my own despite having an arthritic hip! The unit is solid and doesn't wobble even without using the wall brackets. I am very impressed.

City Maps Atlanta Georgia, USA
City Maps Atlanta Georgia, USA
by James McFee

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality - do not waste your money!, 21 Jun. 2017
This is a very poor production which is grossly overpriced. It looks like it is a large map which has been poorly copied and spread over 21 pages. The copying is fuzzy and each page map is small. If you want a decent map don't buy this but buy one of the real maps on offer, such as the one by Rand McNally (much better quality and cheaper than this small booklet).

Morocco to Timbuktu: An Arabian Adventure: The Book of the BBC2 Series
Morocco to Timbuktu: An Arabian Adventure: The Book of the BBC2 Series
by Alice Morrison

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read but poor production, 31 May 2017
This book is a good read and goes beyond the two-part TV series ...I agree with the first reviewer on this. BUT I had not realised it is an Amazon book, so no photos. This is a great shame. I wonder if BBC did not agree to publish a book, as they do for Palin, Attenborough, etc. And it isn't on DVD either. Photos would make this so much better. And there isn't even a map - as a geography teacher, I find this unforgivable! Alice Morrison deserves better.

Gohepi Compatible Cartridge Replacement for HP 364XL Ink Cartridges, 2 Set+2 Black Compatible with HP Photosmart 5520 6520 5510 7520 5524 7510 6510 5515 5514 5511 5522 B010 B109a B110, HP Photosmart Premium C309 C310 C410 C410b B8550 B8850, HP Officejet 4620 4622 4610, HP Deskjet 3070A 3520 3521 3522 3524
Offered by Gohepi

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 9 May 2017
Cartridges are great. I have to keep clicking 'OK' each time I print but that's not a problem and they are so much cheaper than buying new HP cartridges.

MESE London Orange/ Lemon Peeler - Fruit Skin Remover
MESE London Orange/ Lemon Peeler - Fruit Skin Remover
Offered by GreenPriceUK

4.0 out of 5 stars avoid that sticky mess!, 30 Mar. 2017
I like oranges but I hate having to peel them and usually get into a sticky mess. This little gadget is excellent. It is robust and cuts into the orange skin easily ....just as can be seen in the photo. I have given four stars as I think it is expensive - just one for £4.99 and that's a saving of £5! One photo has two peelers but you get only one. Of course, if it lasts for a long time - and I see no reason why it won't - then it will be money well spent.

The Seventh Scroll DVD [REGION 2 IMPORT]
The Seventh Scroll DVD [REGION 2 IMPORT]

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch it as a comedy, 22 Mar. 2017
I agree with other reviewers when they say the acting is poor. It is very poor. The director hasn't done his job well. script is terrible - the books are much, much better ....but then isn't that so often the case? It was filmed in Morocco but no attempt has been made to make Morocco look like Egypt. I have been to Morocco many times and lived in Egypt - Yes, they are both Arab countries in North Africa, but they are completely different: costume, architecture, way of life. When the famous archaeologist is buried - in Egypt - we can see the tomb of the Moroccan king Mohamed V in the background! Of course, many people would not be aware of this so maybe I am being too harsh in my criticism. Unlike one reviewer, I did watch the complete film - all 3 discs - and quite enjoyed it, although I was often laughing at it and I do not think it is meant to be a comedy. Some attention has been paid to detail- for example, the wigs worn by the major Ancient Egyptian characters are realistic (dreadlocks were common in Ancient Egypt ...one reviewer criticises this) - see the vast collection in the Cairo Museum for evidence. But my lasting memory of this production will be Jeff Fahey's eyes ....was he wearing false eye lashes and eye liner? His whole face, and his performance, remind me of one of the puppets in Thunderbirds!

De-Bird Bird Repellent Scare Tape - Deterrent Ribbon Stops Damage and Deters Pests - Silver Diamond Pattern - 125 Ft/38.1M
Offered by Tried-And-True

5.0 out of 5 stars It does scare birds !, 22 Mar. 2017
I bought this tape because I have had an annoying blackbird that had made my life a misery by its constant pecking on my windows. The windows are filthy because of it and there's bird droppings all over the window sill. It's only two windows and just this one bird - all other garden birdlife seems to like me and we live in harmony. I paid for an animal scaring device with high-pitched sound and flashing lights and that worked to some extent but not completely. This tape, however, seems to have done the job. I stuck strips of it on the window sill and hang strips from the gutter using bull-dog clips. I found it useful to weigh the bottom of the tape with a little bit of blu-tac to stop it flying up and getting lodged in the gutter. So I am a happy man., The blackbird is still around but, so far, has avoided the windows.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5