Profile for Dysartes > Reviews

The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One
The Aeronaut's Windlass: The Cinder Spires, Book One
by Jim Butcher

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of something good., 29 Dec. 2015
I pre-ordered "The Aeronaut's Windlass" as a fan of the Dresden Files series, but hadn't actually gotten to read it until I was on my Christmas break - I do a reasonable amount of my reading on trains and trams, where smaller paperbacks are more convenient than a large hardback. It had remained on my to-read list during that wait, though, and didn't take me many evenings to get through once I got started.

As with the first book in any series, Jim Butcher has had to get the staples of his new setting nailed down quickly and clearly, whilst still leaving elements to reveal in future books - for example, what life in any Spire other than Albion looks like, or more detail on the capabilities and perceptions of the etherealists.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a definite feel of Hornblower and other Napoleonic series to the setting and characterisation. There is an importance given to good manners and good breeding which does feel very British to life within Albion. The steampunk elements seem to build around the Napoleonic core nicely, without being excessive - and there's even a sensible reason for the goggles all steampunk characters seem to wear.

Rowl and Mirl, the two primary cat characters, pose an interesting contrast to the human characters, both in attitude and terms of reference. Rowl's position, that Littlemouse (his name for one of the human characters) is his responsibility seems to open plenty of potential for narrative conflict - even if some of that conflict takes place off-screen.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this book - as with Storm Front, though, I have the hope that Mr Butcher can build on it to give a strong series by the time we hit book three.

A Funk Odyssey
A Funk Odyssey
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God!, 27 Sept. 2001
This review is from: A Funk Odyssey (Audio CD)
That being my first reaction after I listened to this album. One magazine described as Jay Kay's break-up album, but this goes over and above that description. One of the finest tunes I've heard in a while, "Little L" signified the return of one of the best groups of the 90's. and now the new millenium as well.
Writer's block is something I'm suffering trying to write about this album, but it sure is something Jay Kay didn't have when he came up with this beautiful collection of ethereal music.
This album has got to be one of the best albums of the year, possibly only rivaled by the Gorillaz album. Admitedly two different genres of music, but both absolute classics.
Take my advice: Buy it now, and play until you can recite the tracks, or your CD player breaks down, whichever happens first.
Then play any other albums you own and see how they pale into insignificance compared to this album. You will soon find you need no other CDs.
Until the next Jamiroquai album that is.