Profile for Sabine Zimmermann > Reviews

Burgers: From Texas Cowboy to Miso Salmon Burger
Burgers: From Texas Cowboy to Miso Salmon Burger
by Paul Gayler

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Burger book ever, 16 Sept. 2012
I bought this book about three years ago, after I had some of the burgers at my sister's place. I have since also bought it as a present for a friend who likes to cook. Reading the reviews just now, I thought I should put some things right.

1. We have made quite a lot of the recipes by now, even some of those that sound a bit unusual at first. They all turned out utterly delicious and moreish. That's one of the reasons why we haven't made a bigger part of the various burgers - those that we tried were so good, we just had to make them again.
My personal favourites are:
Lebanese kibbeh burger - it may sound strange, but it's sooo good. Just leave out the sundried tomatoes (an accident at first, but it turned out for the best). Actually, make more of the pomegranate salad, it keeps disappearing.
Miso-basted salmon burger - very juicy and not fishy at all. The salsa is also great with other barbecued stuff.
Fritas - again the salsa is really great and tasty on its own.
There are lots of other great recipes with beef, pork, lamb, veal, venison, chicken, turkey, vegetables .... So, you can even feed vegetarians and you'll probably want to eat their food, too.
The book also gives you recipes for sides like chips, sauces, salsas, guacamoles, ...

2. Some people complained the ingredients were too outlandish or hard to get, if you didn't live in a city. My sister lives in a small town in Wales, I live in a small town in Germany (where it's not always easy to get things you would get everywhere in GB) and we both manage to get all the ingredients, perhaps apart from pâté de fois gras, which you only need for one recipy anyway (the most expensive one, the others aren't like that). If you've got one of the larger supermarket chains near you (and who hasn't?), you shoud't have any trouble at all getting what you need and you'll probably get a lot of the stuff at your local shop anyway.

3. Sometimes you have no time or just aren't in the mood for making all the extra stuff. But the burgers are good in themselves, too. Just add your normal extras. For example, I tend to be too lazy to make one of the tomato sauces and just replace it with a good ketchup. It's still great.

All I can say is: If you like nice burgers, way better than bought ones and you're open-minded to give new things a try, buy this book, it's worth every penny.

Giada's Family Dinners
Giada's Family Dinners
by Giada de Laurentiis

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful book with great recipes for many occasions, 30 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Giada's Family Dinners (Hardcover)
I bought this book after I got "Everyday Pasta" which I liked very much and I wasn't dissapointed. The book contains just what the title says - family dinners. Most of the recipes are easy to prepare, a lot of them can be done at least partly in advance - always nice when you actually want to take part in the fun the others have instead of slaving away in the kitchen all the time. Recipes like "garlic and citrus chicken", "filet mignon with balsamic syrup", "lasagna rolls" or "limoncello cheesecake squares" (don't worry, there's a recipe for limoncello added for those of us who can't get it) not only show you a bit of the wide range of recipes in this book but also make your mouth water by just reading them. The book is split up into 8 chapters: "soups and sandwiches", "italian salads and sides", "everyday family entrées", "the italian grill", "family-style pasta", "family-style get-togethers", "family feasts", "family-style desserts", followed by a few suggestions for menues (christmas, easter, thanksgiving, elegant ...). From drinks over starters, first courses and mains up to desserts, you'll find recipes for everything in it. This book contains a conversion table to help you along, since it is of course american. Some of the recipes are indeed americanized, but Giada always tells you so and who says you're not allowed to add your own touches to standard recipes. I think that's what makes cooking interesting and Giada quite often gives a dish you think you already know too well an unexpected, new and exciting twist. - By the way, the recipe for "tagliatelle and duck ragù" from "Everyday Pasta" was so delicious I immediately got asked for the recipe. You've got to try it!

Everyday Pasta: Favorite Pasta Recipes for Every Occasion
Everyday Pasta: Favorite Pasta Recipes for Every Occasion
by Giada de Laurentiis

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that makes you want to use your pasta machine, 21 Aug. 2008
I just got this book and I really like it. It contains a lot of unusual recipes you'll find in no other cookery book and of course some old favourites, too (quite often with a new twist). There are recipes for many occasions, whether you want to entertain or are just looking for a quick mid-week meal, using both fresh and dry pasta. To turn pasta dishes into a complete meal, there are recipes for side dishes, too. All in all it's a very beautifully made, practical and down to earth book, divided into the following chapters: Pasta Go-Withs: "Antipasti and Appetizers", "Something on the Side", Pasta for All Seasons: "Soups and Pasta Salads", "Hearty Pastas", "On the Lighter Side", "Quick and Easy Weeknight Pastas", "Pasta for Special Occasions" and Pasta Basics: "Basic Recipes", followed by some menue suggestions. Giada never gives you the feeling you've got to be especially talented to cook any of her recipes (and a lot of them really are easy), so I'd recommend this book not only to experienced cooks but also to beginners. The only slight drawback is the fact that this is an american book, so you'll need a conversion table, unless you're used to american measures (but you can get cup measures in any good kitchen store). I simply copied the conversion table from another book into this one - so don't let it stop you from buying this book. By the way - I don't find Giada's recipes too americanized. There are some american touches, but that doesn't really hurt. Anyone who says any different is probably suffering from "It's not like mamma used to do it-syndrome", which seems to be a bit typical for Italians (you'll have realized it, if you watched Jamie's Great Italian Escape).

The Return of the Naked Chef
The Return of the Naked Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you shouldn't miss, 17 Aug. 2008
This is just as great as all the other books - easy, delicious recipes that actually work in normal life. You'll find some really new, inspiring recipes for pasta and risotto ... One of my favourites is the "salmon fillet wrapped in prosciutto with herby lentils, spinach and yoghurt" (tasty and moist). The book is also great, if you're planning to make your own pasta but don't know exactly how: Jamie explains this in detail. I would recommend this book to everyone!

The Naked Chef
The Naked Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of yummy recipes, 17 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Naked Chef (Paperback)
In this book, you'll find a wide variety of recipes ranging from british over north african and asian to the italian ones that are Jamie's trademark. There is something for every occasion in it, up to making your own bread. A book not only for fans but for everyone who's looking for easy manageable recipes that can still impress. Try the baked butternut squash served warm with a salad - you're sure to get applause. A book that should be missing on no shelf.

Happy Days with the Naked Chef
Happy Days with the Naked Chef

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book you`ll use for many years, 17 Aug. 2008
Don't believe the one star reviews - I've had this book for years now, I'm coming back to it again and again and I'm definitely not a beginner or a bad cook, even if I say so myself. The recipes I made all turned out well (apart from one time which was my own fault, I boiled the onions for stuffing too long, to find the exact point is a bit tricky) and they're definitely not all simple beginners' stuff. Try the pork fillet in Parma ham with the rhubarb, it's a great dish for entertaining. Of course, the book contains easy recipes (and those that look impressive are often easy enough to accomplish, if you follow the recipe) but perhaps that's just the good thing about it: beginners won't be frightened away. This is actually the book that got my brother in law cooking and he's by now an accomplished and very good cook!

New Covent Garden Book of Soup for all Seasons: Our Favourite Seasonal Recipes (New Covent Garden Soup Company)
by New Covent Garden Soup Company

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate book on soup, 16 Aug. 2008
I always find it hard to say which one of the three books I like most. Perhaps it's this one, because it contains my absolute favourite: "Apple, Vine Tomato & Smoked Bacon". This soup is just too yummy to describe. It may sound a bit strange (when I tried it for the first time, people asked why there were apples in a tomato soup), but the result is completely stunning. It's also the perfect soup for late summer, because then you're often swamped in both, tomatoes and apples. In fact, I make this soup whenever I feel like it, because you can get the ingredients around the year. Of course, there are many more delicious recipes in this book. It is split up into four main chapters (the seasons), which in turn are split up into the different months, making it easier for you to find something seasonal. Buy it - a great gift, too!

New Covent Garden Book of Soup and Beyond: Soups, Beans and Other Things (New Covent Garden Soup Company)
by New Covent Garden Soup Company
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 16 Aug. 2008
Like the first one, this is a book I couldn't live without. The recipes are just as delicious and easy as before, only this time you'll also find some for beans and breads. My favourite is "Bean and Spelt Soup", which is also great, if you've got to feed someone allergic to wheat. I tried a lot of the other recipes, too and they were all winners. I can only recommend it!

New Covent Garden Soup Company's Book of Soups: New, Old and Odd Recipes
New Covent Garden Soup Company's Book of Soups: New, Old and Odd Recipes
by Fionna Geddes

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no better books for soup lovers, 16 Aug. 2008
I've had this book (the older edition) for almost 10 years now and I'm still using it. The recipes always work perfectly, the short little stories over each recipe are fun to read and I've never made any soup from this or the other two books without people asking for second, third and in one case even fourth helpings (and most of the time the soup was supposed to be the starter!). Normally, I make at least double the quantities because of that. Can you say more to show just how yummy the recipes are? This definitely is a book I couln't live without. Everybody should have it!

The River Cottage Family Cookbook
The River Cottage Family Cookbook
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners, children and everyone else, 16 Aug. 2008
Yes, this book does contain recipes that are too basic for people with decent cooking skills, but there are recipes for those people too. It's the mixture that makes it a true family cookbook - you can hardly start your children off cooking with complicated recipes. All the recipes are presented in a very clear way and easy to follow. What I realy like about this book are the projects that are included in most chapters. They really make it possible to teach children how food is or used to be produced (make your own pasta, cream cheese, grow your own potatoes or little salad garden on very little space ...) or just suggest ideas for having some fun, for example at a children's party (have a pancake race, create your own icecream maker ...). Many recipes have step-by-step photographs to help you along, plus serving suggestions to vary the recipes. I quite enjoy this book, although I do also cook from Gary Rhodes' or Gordon Ramsay's books and obviously am not a beginner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3