Profile for Simon > Reviews

pHAT DAC for Raspberry Pi
pHAT DAC for Raspberry Pi
Offered by Electronic Shop Luxemburg

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiophile performance for peanuts!, 4 Jun. 2017
The pHAT DAC is a neat 'hat' or plug on board that gives you audiophile high quality analogue stereo output audio from your Raspberry Pi. Although primarily designed to suit the Pi Zero (and Zero W), there's no reason why it couldn't be used with a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3 with a 40 pin connector. The board comes without the GPIO header socket soldered so you will need to do a bit of soldering if you intend using it as a HAT. For the price though this DAC represents amazing value for money. Sound quality is really excellent when connected to a decent pair of active (amplified) speakers. Note the output of this DAC is line level so it won't drive speakers directly, but can be connected to a stereo amplifier. I am using it with one of the popular 5V 3W stereo digital amplifier modules and it sounds fantastic! There's a 3.5mm stereo jack socket on the board for connecting to amplified speakers or an external amplifier, but you can optionally solder photo sockets or just a screened output cable if you prefer. Although the DAC has a 40 pin connector, the board actually only needs 6 of these to function. So you only need to connect pins 1 (3.3V), 2 (5V), 12 (GPIO18), 35 (GPIO19), 39 (0V) and 40 (GPIO21) for it to function (as far as I am aware). Setting up the DAC is easy enough as it uses the same drivers as the Hifiberry DAC so popular Pi apps such as Volumio or OSMC will support it. Even if your Pi already has analogue audio output such as the Raspberry Pi 3, this will knock socks of it in terms of sound quality and background noise levels. Definitely recommended for this price, a true audiophile 24 bit DAC!

ClimaxDigital CUH350D USB 3.0 to DVI,VGA,HDMI Adaptor for Multiple Monitors - DisplayLink DL-3500 Chipset (supports up to 2048 X 1152)*1080p Full HD ready * External Videocard * Multi Display Adapter/splitter/converter ** Includes DVI to HDMI adaptor and DVI to VGA adaptor, supports XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8.1/Windows 10/Mac OS up to Sierra 10.12)
Offered by ClimaxDigital UK (VAT NO: GB948688449)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value to add an extra monitor, works with Mac OSX, 4 Jun. 2017
Like many Mac users, I was looking for an economical solution to connect up a spare 3rd monitor to my iMac. I'm running a 27" iMac i7 with Sierra OSX and use a 24" Dell monitor via DisplayPort for my secondary display. This serves me perfectly but as a musician, I wanted to place a smaller 4:3 Dell monitor away from these and behind my electronic piano for displaying tabs, scores etc. I wanted this screen to be an extension of my existing setup, but not necessarily mirrored from either existing screen. I looked at whether I could use another DisplayPort device, but only having 2 thunderbolt sockets with one tied up to an external hard drive and the DisplayPort 24" Dell and the other going to a firewire adaptor for my audio interface, any solution would have been expensive requiring some form of thunderbolt hub. Even then I had no idea if that would work. I hadn't considered using a USB video adaptor as, although I use these in work as a laptop docking station, I didn't think they existed for OSX. Anyway after some research this ClimaxDigital device seemed to tick all the boxes for compatibility, had DVI output that would work with my screen (although it comes supplied with VGA and HDMI adaptors) but most of all the price was considerably lower than competitor products.
Upon receipt I was pleasantly supplied that the adaptor is a lot smaller than I expected from the photo. After downloading the latest drives from the DisplayLink website for OSX, I installed these without any problems and rebooted my iMac. I plugged my spare Dell monitor into the ClimaxDigital unit using a DVI to DVI cable and using the supplied USB cable, plugged the unit into a spare USB port on my iMac. Immediately I was greeted with an extended display, nothing to configure or change! After tweaking the gamma/colour correction on OSX for my new screen, I adjusted a few settings to overcome a few minor issues currently with OSX sierra. Whilst these aren't any problem for me, turning off the transparency of menu items helped improve the visibility of the menu bar on the new screen. I was really impressed at the speed and performance of this new device, I wasn't expected to be able to view video or anything quick changing on the extended screen via USB but Quicktime plays movies perfectly on it! Logic pro X also seems fine and I can now drag my mixer, main working screen or any of the plugins to the new screen. The only issues I've come across so far are when you change the wallpaper image for the desktop, the thumbnail images don't display correctly on the new screen - not a problem though as you can drag the settings to another screen to change them. The wallpaper itself is fine. Also VLC media player had issues displaying video on the USB screen, however as said Quicktime works fine. Overall I am really impressed at this inexpensive solution to extend my setup to now 3 desktops! I am looking forward to DisplayLink improving their drives with time and maybe addressing any minor issues with Sierra, but so far everything works great for me! I would definitely recommend this product. Shame it doesn't appear to work with my Yamaha Montage keyboard via USB (I've read that some adaptors do work and mirror the LCD) but not a deal breaker. I haven't tried it with Windows but as it uses genuine DisplayLink drivers I see no reason there would be any problems. DisplayLink have a good reputation when it comes to this technology and this ClimaxDigital unit is a great value unit! As mentioned you get adaptors includes for HDMI or VGA output, it's a great way to add another screen to a computer without using the existing VGA/HDMI output and brilliant if you want more than 2 screens! Might get another one and see if I can add a fourth monitor!

UGREEN Micro HDMI Cable 3M, Micro HDMI Type D to HDMI Type A High Speed Cable with Ethernet Gold Plated Support 3D & 4K Resolution and Audio Return for Micro HDMI Smart Phones, Tablets, GoPro Hero 5 Cameras and Much More Other Device (3M)
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and value cable, 29 April 2017
Perfect to connect my Canon G7x Mk2 to the TV and display photos and videos in full HD. Good length cable, well made and packaged with protective caps on both plugs. Excellent service from Ugreen, definitely will deal with again. A+

SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and dependable brand, very good USB3 flash drive, 20 Mar. 2017
Dependable brand, quick and compact. The SanDisk 32GB USB flash drive comes with a software encryption utility although I haven't used it. It works fine on PC, Mac and Linux and I like the ability to retract the plug end into the case for protection. There's also a handy label strip on one surface. Formatted to FAT32 on a Mac capacity is 30.74GB. I ran a speed test on it using Disk Speed Test from Blackmagicdesign and it gave an impressive ~141.3 MB/s read and ~48.2 MB/s write on average.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60 mm Magnifying Glass
Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60 mm Magnifying Glass

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for soldering PCBs and wiring connectors!, 20 Mar. 2017
You never know when you will need a helping hand soldering or assembling small jobs until you need one! This great product is perfect for holding PCBs in position when soldering, devices such as small switches or socket/plugs to solder wires on and many other applications. The crocodile clips are on ball joints and can be adjusted in an almost unlimited number of positions and then tightened using the thumb clamps. The magnifier is solid glass and is useful, especially if your eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be! Just be careful to keep this out of the sunlight when not in use for obvious reasons. Nice weighty base makes this a good buy.

HQ Tind Solder 100 g
HQ Tind Solder 100 g
Offered by TheTechTree-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solder, flows easily and a good small diameter for general electronics., 20 Mar. 2017
This review is from: HQ Tind Solder 100 g (Misc.)
Good solder, diameter is about 0.7mm (22 SWG). This is a flux cored solder from Taiwan, as far as I can tell its 60/40 Tin/Lead so if you need Lead free solder then look elsewhere. However being Sn/Pb based it flows nicely and forms shiny solid joints quickly unlike other lead free variants on the market. The 100g reel should last you a while, there's about 35m of solder on the reel I believe. Melting point is around 180-190 deg C so flows nicely even with low powered irons.

Am-Tech Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Assortment (127 Pieces )
Am-Tech Heat Shrink Wire Wrap Assortment (127 Pieces )
Offered by Trendz365

5.0 out of 5 stars Good range of heat shrink tubing pre-cut to save time!, 20 Mar. 2017
Extremely useful range of heat shrink tubing, an essential addition to any project workshop. The precut lengths are ideal for quick electronic project building and are much neater than wrapping insulation tape over wire joints! Although I think the preferred method of shrinking the tubing is a hot air gun, I just hold my soldering iron very close to the joint and it shrinks well enough to seal the joint tightly. The storage box is a useful addition and overall this was a good value purchase.

Draper 23554 Soldering Iron Stand
Draper 23554 Soldering Iron Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and weighty metal stand to suit a range of irons, 20 Mar. 2017
After melting a hole in our carpet using the flimsy stand supplied with a soldering iron kit I purchased, I decided it was necessary to invest a sturdier soldering iron stand. The reviews for this Draper model seemed positive and the tapering dual spring design meant it should accommodate both smaller and large soldering irons. The price is excellent and I have to say the quality is also high. The stand is supplied with the spring separate and you just need to attach it with a wing nut supplied. The sponge comes dehydrated and almost looks like a piece of card until you soak it in water when it then becomes usable. The stand is weighty and although it doesn't have rubber feet, the epoxy coated metal is smooth enough not to damage your worktops. Make sure before you start your soldering session that you moisten the sponge. Overall a great value stand!

Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810  - UK layout
Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810 - UK layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bluetooth keyboard for multiple devices and a good replacement in the UK for the K811, 20 Mar. 2017
As a Mac and iOS user, I really wanted the Logitech K811 keyboard. Unfortunately the K811 is no longer available in the UK and after much research and trying second hand faulty keyboards from Ebay, I decided to go with the K810. This is such a great keyboard in so many ways, the star feature is being able to pair up to 3 bluetooth devices and then quickly choose between them with the press of a key. This works perfectly with my iPad, iPhone and Raspberry Pi media centre. The second key feature of this keyboard is the backlighting, the keyboard illuminates as if by magic as you approach the keys with your fingers to type and then fades out to save battery when you stop! You can adjust the illumination and disable the auto lighting feature if you prefer. The third star feature of this keyboard is the amazing battery life. So far I've only charged it once since it arrived and it's lasted several months of use. I do switch it off when not using it, although it sips power even when powered on. To charge it, simply plug the micro USB cable supplied into either a computer or USB charger and it should be fully charged within a few hours.
In terms of using it with iOS devices, the experience was better than I had expected. Once you get used to using the Windows key as a replacement for the Apple Command key and realise the @ sign is shift+2 (it's swapped on the key labels) then it works great. Even the media and volume shortcut buttons work. There's also a key to operate the pop up keyboard on your iOS device which is handy when you need to access symbols or emoticons. Overall it's one of the best if not the best portable bluetooth keyboards on the market, quality of construction is excellent and very similar to the previous generation Apple Bluetooth aluminium keyboard. The black finish is attractive, my only annoyance is that it doesn't come supplied with a carry case for the price although there are many available to purchase from Amazon. Definitely recommended!

Elegoo Mega 2560 Project The Most Complete Ultimate Starter Kit w/ TUTORIAL, MEGA 2560 controller board, LCD1602, Servo, Stepper Motor for Arduino Mega 2560
Offered by ElegooUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant starter kit for the Mega 2560 but tutorials need improvement, 20 Mar. 2017
I picked this up in a lightning deal but even without the discount it represents extremely good value! This kit comes supplied in a nice plastic organiser and includes a huge array of components that should keep any Arduino fan busy! It comes with the 8 bit Mega 2560 (identical in function to the Arduino Mega 2560) so you get 54 digital I/O pins (15 can act as PWM output), 16 analog inputs, 16MHz clock, 4 hardware serial ports and plenty of flash memory for your sketches. The kit includes a whole array of sensors, displays, motors, indicators plus a breadboard, a breadboard power supply (including a plug in mains PSU), capacitors, resistors, transistors and more. The kit comes with a CD rom that contains tutorials and examples, you can also visit the Elegoo website and download these. Whilst the quality of the components provided are excellent (the displays for example include driver chips to save on wiring and minimise the number of I/O pins needed), I am dropping a star as I feel the tutorials could do with some improvement, especially for beginners. Many of the examples contain insufficient detail to wire up the circuits, and some are clearly incorrect. For example the temperature sensor project refers to a semiconductor temperature sensor yet the kit is supplied with a thermistor, requiring a completely different calculation in the code to work correctly. If you are prepared to research the examples or use your own, the kit offers a great introduction into using the Arduino with a variety of sensors and hardware. Presentation of the kit is excellent as is the customer support - I contacted Elegoo as my power supply was dead on arrival, they kindly mailed a replacement from China. I think if the tutorials could be improved and perhaps a printed version also included, this kit would be perfect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10