Profile for Shootingstar > Reviews

Beautiful Creatures [DVD]
Beautiful Creatures [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alden Ehrenreich

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much change, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Beautiful Creatures [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book a few months ago in preperation for the film. I love these type of films, especially when you read the book beforehand and see it all come to life. I was so excited for this film, as soon as I saw it on the shelves I brought it.

I watched it with my mum who had not read the book. To say the least, she was very confused throughout. I found myself having to explain quite a few things to her, and even then at the end she said it was rubbish. Unfortunately, the film seemed to miss out a lot, and changed quite a few things. I found myself saying 'this isnt in the book!' or 'this didn't happen here' quite a lot. [SPOILER] The ending was just so wrong I actually wanted to cry! The ending was completely changed, and the build up was nothing compared to the one in the book. In the book, there is a huge build up with the whole family appearing and everyone using there powers. Then the actual main event is action packed with fire and lots of drama. In the film, the main event happens and is all over within 5 minutes. Ethan gets shot by Link (who on earth thought that one up?!), Lena feels the pain (I mean how on earth does that one work?), then Ethan turns out to be Macon, Macon's dead and Ethans forgotten Lena even exists. Then Lena moves the moon and kills Sarafine by turning her into a tree. It was just so disappointing after the brilliant ending in the book. [SPOILER]

Ethan was just not the character I expected, he was a really likeable character in the book and someone you really warm to. In the film, he's actually just annoying. Lena is slightly better, but she still wasn't the Lena I imagined. I expected her to be shy, but she had a little too much confidence at times. I did love Emma Thompson as Sarafine/Mrs Lincoln though as she did this character perfectly what with having to switch between the two characters. However, it was made unclear as to who Mrs Lincoln was and who Link was in relation to Ethan. Link plays a major role in the book and is there throughout everything. In the film the only time he comes into play is really at the end. This makes it very confusing as you don't really get any idea as to how Mrs Lincoln and Ethan are connected.

The film missed too much out. This was its biggest fault. [SPOILER] Remember the fact that Ethan and Lena could talk to each other using there mind in the books? Oh and Ethan called her L? Both were missed out. The dreams were shown once at the beginning, which meant there relationship looked very rushed and didn't really have a chance to develop. There was no clear reason as to why they were getting together and why they had the attraction. Then theres the fact that things kept happening for no reason... it turned out to be Ethans mum. They had the part where Sarafine/Mrs Lincoln couldnt get in the house... but that wasn't because of Ethan's mum like in the book. We never even saw Ethan's dad. Marian and Amma's characters had been combined into Amma, which is actually quite confusing because she's a keeper but is also shown to do her talking to the spirits. Oh and Larkin, hes a dark caster... that bits never revealed. Ryan and Reece, the two little cousins of Lena, do not exist. Macon, he's supposed to have a dog that watches over Lena for him and be something completely different to the rest of them... nope he's a dark caster thats choosing to be light? What?! I could go on, there is just so much. [SPOILER]

To be honest, the more I think about it the more i'm disappointed. Nothing was ever looked into enough, and unless you read the book it was just really confusing. I for one, will be sticking with the books. I would recommend them to anyone... but the film, not so much. Its not a bad film, it has some good elements to it and if you ignore the fact that they meet and fall in love within a day... well I guess its quite a sweet little love story. It could have been so much better in so many ways though. If they do sequels, I do wonder how they will do it and how much more they will have to change so to follow on from the already many changes.

All in all, if you've read the books my advice is don't rush out to watch it. The books are so much better, and to be honest, ill be keeping the characters in my head rather than the Ethan and Lena from the film. If you haven't read the books, then you will be so confused! That's all I can say. Nothing is properly explained, and nothing really is built up very well. It all just seems a bit rushed. Just, disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2013 2:18 PM BST

Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
by Grisha Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Feb. 2013
Brilliant book, a must for every dog owner. Explains everything in so much detail, and if you have a fearful/reactive dogs gives you every piece of advice you need to help deal with it. Would highly recommend.

Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
Fifty Shades Freed: 3/3
by E L James

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be worse..., 17 July 2012
I started reading the trilogy out of curiosity. At first I hated it and was ready to stop reading, but as I read on the storyline got more interesting and so I ended up reading all 3 books. Out of them all, the 2nd one was by far my favourite.

At first, this one started off following a really good storyline and was very gripping. However, about halfway through all the issues seemingly resolve themselves and we're left with just reading about them arguing and making up over and over again. I was ready to give up on trying to finish if this was the way the rest of the story played out, and after talking it through I know others who just skipped pages because it just got so boring!

However, the pace of the story gradually changes. Instead of describing every little detail it starts missing out chunks of the story and going through time much quicker. This is the only part I can actually commend James on her writing skills, it definantly builds the tension and prepares us that all is not as it seems. When it darts back into normal pace we are prepared for something, and finally the storyline returns with an unexpected twist. So my advice would be, if you get to the middle and get really bored, hang in there. Its not over just yet! But, to be honest, you can skip pages because you dont actually need anything they tell you. In fact, if James had just skipped that whole time and quickly did a skim over such as 'well in the past few weeks so and so happened...' rather than describe it all in detail the story would have flowed much better.

Generally though, the book (in fact all 3) are dreadfully written. In this one the narrative is very muddled up with some bits looking at it from the past and some bits looking at it from the present. A few bits were quite confusing. In most books every little thing has some significance, such as putting an object in a specific place. I studied English literature at A-level so I was naturally trying to work out why something was where it was, and in the end I came to realise that James hadnt actually put it there for a specific reason, it was just there! But hey, I doubt that it'll ever make the book lists for university.

As well as that, the repetition is just ridiculous! I'm not sure if I'll ever read the words 'oh my' in a book again without thinking of Ana Steele. It wouldnt be so bad if it stood for the same thing, but she said it in so many different contexts that I was 'rolling my eyes' everytime! Not to mention the personification of her 'inner goddess' and 'subconscious'. If written in a better way, they could work well, but where they just popped up randomly, I got confused as to which one was saying/doing what. I didn't really understand the purpose of them either, they were just there. Most of the time I hardly registered them as they just had no significance to the story.

(SPOILER) Have to say, the way James ends the story is pretty rubbish too. She finishes it and then starts again from Christians point of view, giving us a small extract. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is, maybe that shes going to write more? But, were jolted back to the old Christian and it sort of ruins it a bit as we've just gone through this journey of him changing only to be jumped back and reminded that actually he wasn't very nice. Maybe some would see this as a way of highlighting how far he's come, but I didn't. I would much rather have ended it with there story and maybe this extract at the front if the purpose is that shes going to write more. If she doesnt write more... well its completely pointless! Yes, its set slightly apart but after reading a whole story and being left wanting to find out what happens afterwards of course were going to read on. Structurally, its just a bit of a weird and pointless thing to do. (SPOIILER)

To me, the books are another twilight with a lot more sex. Instead of a vampire he's mentally insane and she's the same sweet, innocent female character who doesnt care about money or gifts, only him. (SPOILER) The ending is pretty much the same too, other than the fact they're not vampires! (SPOILER)

Not awful, but not great either. Okay for a light read when you've got nothing better to do, but other than that, they're really nothing special.

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy)
by Suzanne Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing end..., 20 Mar. 2012
After reading the 1st 2 books I was hooked. (SPOILER) I was devastated at the end of the 2nd book after Peeta is taken by the Capitol at such a crucial moment in there relationship and in the story. So when I started this book I was looking forward to finding out what happens.

I was utterly disappointed. The first half of the book is very good, with good twists and turns at every corner. (SPOILER) However, while Peeta is still with the capitol she is constantly holding onto the pearl wishing he was there. We dont have a clear sense as to what her feelings are for him, or anyone really other than Prim and her mum, so you'd think this would be explored more. But when he comes back with his memories altered she hardly makes any attempt at trying to help him. A few times she even gets ready to kill him. And then by the end she ends up with him and they live happily ever after, just because hes there. It just doesnt make any sense.

The war side of the story is the main focus. It shows the real brutality of war and has some real twists that really did shock me. (SPOILER) However, I think killing off almost all the characters other than a select few was a bit much. It especially shocked me when Finnick was killed after his wedding, it just seems a bit too hopeless. I cant work out if Prim dying was an interesting twist or a bit too far after the deaths of so many others. And the effect of this isnt explored much either other than when she breaks down talking to the cat. It all seems very rushed.

All in all I think the trilogy should have been more than just a trilogy because the ending is so rushed and there is so much we are left pondering about. (SPOILER) She could have easily written another book just about the recovery of the districts, of Peeta and of how Katniss copes with the trauma of it all. Instead we are left with Peeta and Katniss living happily ever after with 2 children. She tells us at the end that she loves him, but its so brief and after everything in the previous chapters I still dont know what her true feelings are to anyone other than Prim and her mother who she clearly loves dearly.

Personally, if your hooked on the other 2 and want to read the 3rd book to find a positive, hopeful conclusion you will be utterly disappointed. In some ways I wish Id never read it, as its changed my view of all the characters entirely. But, the 1st book will always be one of the best books I ever read, I just have to forget about all that happened in this book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2012 10:28 AM BST

Silence (Hush Hush)
Silence (Hush Hush)
by Becca Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly best book ever read, 6 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Silence (Hush Hush) (Hardcover)
This book was just incredible. I read it in one night, I was just completely hooked. After reading Crescendo I had to order this book immediately, and finished it the same day it arrived. Anyone who enjoys gothic fantasy and romance must read this series. It is amazing.

At first, its confusing. She doesnt remember anything, and this bit is a bit frustrating as we just want to get to the good bits. Its very cleverly done though. We know everything that Nora doesnt and so when she starts asking questions you feel as if you want to tell her. It does feel very disconnected from the other books at this point because its completely different, but it definantly captured my attention as I just wanted to know what happened and when everything would be explained! I think thats what made me read it so quickly, it was just so gripping.

Once the confusing part passes, it really gets good. There is action round every corner, with some twists and turns too. Patch/Jev is just amazing, you really will end up falling in love with him. He is very different than in any of the other books and we see a very different side to him. We see some secrets shared and finally get to see where he lives after much anticipation. Nothings a smooth ride though, and everything is just very exciting.

The ending is the best part. There is a very good twist, not entirely unexpected but still very surprising! You wouldnt guess its going to happen. Yet through it all, Patch still loves her and its just so heartwarming reading about them. The book is just unbelievably gripping, you wont want to put it down! Even once you've finished it, your'll want to know more. I cant wait for the next one and to be able to once again lose myself in there world. I wish I hadnt read it so fast, I miss the characters now! Its by far the best in the series so far, and possibly one of the best books ive ever read. Honestly, you'd be silly not to read it!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 6 Mar. 2011
This is a great product, it looks good, is sturdy and protects the phone well! The only negatives is a couple of times I've dropped my phone the cover has come apart. Also, when taken off it leaves marks on the screen protector which show up really obviously if you want to change to a gel/silicone cover. But, if not, then its a great cover which looks good too!

His Last Duchess
His Last Duchess
by Gabrielle Kimm

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and exciting!, 6 Mar. 2011
This review is from: His Last Duchess (Paperback)
Normally books like this dont capture me, but this one certainly did!

I was intrigued after studying 'My Last Duchess' by Robert Downing at GCSE. The poem was very dark, and it made you want to know more about what happened. I wish the book had been around when I was doing my GCSE's, it gave me a better understanding to the poem and made it much more interesting.

The book itself is brilliant. The characters are so believable what with Alfonso's dark and chilling ways and Lucrezia's sweetness. I found it very chilling reading Alfonso's bits as he is such a dark character and is most definantly a villain what with his madness which is so cleverly portrayed.

The book had me gripped from page 1 right to the end. It is incredibly well-written with a lot of detail which makes it such an interesting read. It has such a touching love story that it is frustrating that Lucrezia is 'trapped' within Alfonso's grasp and you can really see the desperation of her situation. The ending is the best bit though. I stayed up 2 hours later than I wanted to just to read right through to the end. It almost had me yelling in furstration, but then in the end it was a brilliant ending and I cant say anymore without giving away spoilers!

All in all I recommend to anyone who is/has studying/studied the poem as it makes it much easier to understand and in turn a lot easier to write about (I think). But even if you've never heard of the poem, I still recommend as it is so touching and a really interesting novel showing what 17th century Italy was like!

Offered by emartbuyuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 5 Mar. 2011
Great cover, simple but fits the phone perfectly. Looks good too! The only negatives are that the buttons need pushing a bit harder to take effect, but not as bad as Ive seen on other cases and the screen protector came with a little hole in it at the top. Not a major issue, and probably just a fault but still a bit strange! All in all, a great product for its price and would highly recommend!

Lament: 1 (Books of Faerie)
Lament: 1 (Books of Faerie)
by Maggie Stiefvater

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 2 Mar. 2011
I have read all of Stiefvaters books so far and love all of them. I have found every single one gripping and unput-downable! This one is definantly no exception.

It is about Dee who meets Luke and accidently falls for him. I wont go into anymore detail than that. Both Dee and Luke are very believable characters, especially Luke. He's sort of like the mystery guy at the beginning but as the book progresses he becomes more and more an interesting character and is extremely likeable.

It is a clever twist on typical faery books. There are no courts, it is purely a story of love, evil and fantasy. The only downside to the book is that the ending is extremely frustrating and not what you want to happen (cant say anymore without spoilers). However, in some ways this does make the book even more unique as it doesnt have the completely good ending like most fantasy love stories.

Overall, if you loved Shiver and Linger you will love this! Its gripping, engrossing and unique!

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, but still brilliant!, 8 Jan. 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
When I first saw this book and read the reviews I decided it was a book I must read. I was expecting a book that was gripping and I couldnt get my head out of.

I was slightly disappointed, but not to the extent to say I wouldnt recommend it. It is brilliant, theres no doubt about it, but for me it just took a while to properly get into it. It was about midway through that I got properly engrossed and wanted to find out more.

It is an amazingly clever and unique book. There is so much information missing as it only talks about one day in the year, every year. However you still know whats going on, and you can still feel for the characters and watch them grow up. I so desperately wanted Emma and Dexter to get together and its frustrating watching them in there seperate lives. When the ending comes its sad and unexpected, which makes the ending so brilliant.

All in all, a fantastic book for everyone. It seems to be one of them books where everyone has there unique taking on it, some loving it and some just liking it, yet no one hating it!

Page: 1 | 2