Profile for Clancy > Reviews

Content by Clancy

Clancy "Clancy" (England)

A Vogel Biosnacky Germinator Seed Jar with Lid (Pack of 2 Jars)
A Vogel Biosnacky Germinator Seed Jar with Lid (Pack of 2 Jars)
Offered by Best4Deals

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!, 13 April 2015
I wanted to like this, but the design of the plastic mesh means that water won't flow into the jar, so you have to take it off when you need to rinse the sprouting seeds twice a day, and almost as annoying is that if you are growing seeds that become gelatenous, such as buckwheat, the water won't flow out either! I'd send the things back if I hadn't tried to use them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2016 11:56 AM GMT

A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 2)
A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful new fix for Wimsey fans!, 8 May 2012
This is a terrific book, set during World War 2. Jill Paton Walsh has caught Sayers tone exactly, but has a lightness of touch that is very engaging. I have long thought that detective novels from 'The Golden Age' were a very valuable source of social history,and this book continues the tradition. Daily life during the war years is immaculately researched and brought to vivid, rather touching life. And of course the ongoing love story of Peter and Harriet is also very attractive.
I loved it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant update on an old idea., 21 Dec. 2011
I am delighted with my new Sodastream, and love not having to buy more horrid plastic bottle. I look forward to experimenting with home-made sparkling drinks,such as elderflower and lemonade, as I shall prefer not to use the somewhat artificial looking flavorings that you can get to go with it.

The Cura Romana Weightloss Plan
The Cura Romana Weightloss Plan
by Leslie Kenton

5.0 out of 5 stars A transforming experience., 16 Jan. 2011
Leslie Kenton is a writer I trust - I have been inspired by her books for more than 20 years now.
She explains quite touchingly that she has had issues around her weight since medical procedures in her teens left her with a faulty metabolism. She doesn't pretend to be a physician or a guru, but a fearlessly investigative journalist who needs help herself, so she explores the best options for health and weightloss and then writes a book about it for the rest of us.

In "Cura Romana" she has found an amazing tool in the work of Dr Arthur Simmeons who after many years of clinical research decided that the tendency to obesity was the product of a faulty system rather than just the result of gluttony, and worked out a programme to cure it.

What Leslie has done is synthesise this method, expand and bring it up to date, and, most importantly, hone the method for keeping the weight off for life. [Always the depressing issue for those of us who has yo-yo dieted for most of their adult lives.]

I think this book is brilliant. The system works on everyone - me, in my 60s, now wearing size 14 jeans for the 1st time in 30 years - [gosh its great not to have to describe myself a fat person any more!] my husband, who was highly sceptical that anything homeopathic could actually work - a friend in our village who lost 2 stone in 42 days and looks wonderful and her 30 year old son who did the same thing.

Leslie Kenton's Cura Romana is much more than a diet book - it's a genuine tool for personal transformation. I'm only sorry her publisher puts a quote about it being a "craze" - it's far more important and profound than that.

PS. How I wish it had been available 30 years ago!

Portraits for a King: A J Dubois Drahonet
Portraits for a King: A J Dubois Drahonet
by Jenny Spencer-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Portraits for a King, 16 Jan. 2011
If you are a costume designer, student, or reenactment enthusiast who needs reference about British Military uniforms circa 1830, then this 20 year old catalogue is completely brilliant!
Nothing like it anywhere else.

The Arts Funding Guide
The Arts Funding Guide
by Anne-Marie Doulton

3.0 out of 5 stars Funding Guide, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Arts Funding Guide (Paperback)
This useful guide was actually a bit too out of date to be really useful, everything needs to be re-checked. We probably should have waited till the 2011 edition comes out. But it did save us £40 or so!

Complete Idiot's Guide To Eating Raw: A Fresh Approach to Eating Well - With Over 150 Delicious Recipes (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback))
by Bo Rinaldi Mark Reinfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw but far from idiotic!, 3 Aug. 2010
I suppose the Idiots guides were the only publishers that came forward, but the title did put me off a bit! Actually this is not an idiot's guide at all, the recipes are often complex and require considerable preparation such as marinading, dehydrating and so on. I would say this is the perfect book 2 for someone starting out on a raw food journey, once you have got going with 'Raw food made easy" or some such.
The recipes and advice around cleansing, juice fasting and so on are excellent and inspiring. The book is actually quite rigidly vegan, but I add on what I feel need and like, such as honey and occasional cottage cheese. It's a truly inspiring life style book. I've been 90% 'raw' for 3 months now, I feel really good and have lost about a stone, and it's helping my arthritic knees!

by Marguerite Patten

3.0 out of 5 stars Eating right to treat arthitis, 14 Feb. 2010
Eat to Beat Arthritis : Over 60 Recipes and a Self-treatment Plan to Transform Your Life has obviously worked for the authors, and there are a number of ideas I am now using.
The diet involves no caffiene or gluten and lots of liver.

I got it to go with -"Treating Arthritis the Drug-Free Way", Margaret Hills, SRN." which recommends Apple cider vinegar and honey and a near veggie low-fat diet,which is brilliant except for the rather dull recipes.

If you only get 1 book I would suggest Nurse Hills, or mix and match as suits you best!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 7:40 PM BST