Profile for G H > Reviews

G H

Page: 1 | 2
It's All Over Now (Vinyl) [VINYL]
It's All Over Now (Vinyl) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brinsley Schwarz It's All Over Now Vinyl Review, 9 April 2017
Great album, more soulful than their previous LPs. Could have done without the 'Direct Metal Mastered' crap of course, especially on a vinyl record! No recording information, no liner notes, (I know, I know, look it up on the web), awful title track sounding like a totally unnecessary micky take of, you've guessed it, Mick Jagger! (Please fellers, leave the parodies to Mick, he's the expert, innit Mick). Apart from those few caveats, another tasty Brinsley Schwarz to enjoy any time of the day or night; almost as much fun as their 1974 'Live Favourites', released in 2016, but not quite. They were always at their best playing live. I bet they still are! I've said it before & I'll say it again, ain't none of us getting any younger, so digitum exractum est please. Come on sleepyheads, get outta that bed & make some noise with the pots & pans!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2017 9:35 AM BST

your mind and we belong together 45 rpm single
your mind and we belong together 45 rpm single

5.0 out of 5 stars Are We Supposed To Be Like History?, 25 Nov. 2015
I bought this incredible single as a US import in 1968 after a very good friend, (Many Thanks, Pete!), told me he had spotted it on a record stall in,
of all places, Burnt Oak! Six shillings & eight pence! I had been into Love since getting their first LP in 1966 & I was even more enthralled by Da Capo & then Forever Changes. Three very diverse LPs in two years, all great, but each one even better than the previous one. Then this, a stereo 45 no less, (unusual in those days). And even better, deeper, wider, wilder, higher, exciting, scary, uplifting than ever. Both sides dynamite, especially that guitar solo at the end of Your Mind And We Belong Together. The lyrics still get me as well, there's a whole lot of extant truth in both those songs about the human condition. My initial thoughts were of course that the subsequent LP was going to be dynamite as well. Sadly, it wasn't to be, as the group disintegrated. Nevertheless, Your Mind And We Belong Together/Laughing Stock will do very nicely thank you, in this universe at least, but to hear it properly, it has to be the US stereo 45. Yeah, Baby!

Live Favourites [VINYL]
Live Favourites [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?, 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Live Favourites [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ah, Brinsley Schwarz Live, Unbeatable in the mid 1970s! The Lovely Stephanie & I saw them regularly in various pubs & venues. We saw lots of bands, but Brinsley Schwarz were always the cat's whiskers. They started off sounding great, & then just kept getting better & better. Wonderful Funky Music, yes Funky, with a touch of Country, R&B & Pure Pop. Everyone bopping the night away. This LP captures them at their peak. Time for a reunion, Boys! We need you now more than ever, especially this century. Love to you all, & Steph as well

Holme Steam Mop HSM2001 Replacement Pads - 3 Pack
Holme Steam Mop HSM2001 Replacement Pads - 3 Pack
Offered by Electrical Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars they were brilliant. Unfortunately the quality of the second lot is ..., 11 May 2015
This is the second time that I bought them because the first time I bought them , they were brilliant. Unfortunately the quality of the second lot is very disappointing when I bought a year later. The reason I bought again is the last ones started to lose the grip to the steam mop and they became difficult to clean the floor with. Now I expected the new ones would stay in the position. However they are softer and thinner. They don't pick up dirt as well as the old ones. After cleaning, they don't become as dirty as the old ones. They tend to roll up at the edge while you push it over the floor and come off the bottom of the mop.

Elevation [VINYL]
Elevation [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Elevate Yourself, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Elevation [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have always loved the original vinyl LP, but this edition, spread over four sides of a two record set, surpasses it.

'Elevation' sounds even deeper, wider, higher & more spiritual than ever before. Scoff not, earthlings, this Music will lift your soul into the heavens & blow your little cotton socks off into the bargain. Pharoah Sanders is right up there with Miles Davis, Tim Buckley & John Coltrane, but unlike Miles, Tim & John, Pharoah is still with us, so go see him while you can. And get this edition while you can

Primative Jupiter [VINYL]
Primative Jupiter [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pharoah Still Rules, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Primative Jupiter [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Pharoah Sanders still has it. This is Magical Music. Fans of Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, Miles Davis & Tim Buckley need look no further to find the fire is still burning here.

There are different tracks on the CD which makes that worth getting as well.

Go for the vinyl if you can only afford one

Forever Changes LP (Vinyl Album) European Rhino 2012
Forever Changes LP (Vinyl Album) European Rhino 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars ***** Forever Changes LP (Vinyl Album) European Rhino 2012 *****, 20 Dec. 2014
I first bought this album on UK vinyl in 1967 & since then I have had it on US vinyl, Japanese vinyl & all the CD releases. This version is without a doubt the best sounding version. 'Nuff said!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2015 6:02 PM BST

Long Handle Mobility Disability Soft Shower & Bath Sponge Aid
Long Handle Mobility Disability Soft Shower & Bath Sponge Aid
Offered by Betterlife at LloydsPharmacy

3.0 out of 5 stars Another point is the long plastic handle is too bendy and flexible to have a good grip/pressure for scrubbing on the back, 21 Nov. 2014
Delivery was prompt. However in my opinion the sponge surface is too smooth to feel clean, after cleaning my back with this. Another point is the long plastic handle is too bendy and flexible to have a good grip/pressure for scrubbing on the back.

Humax HDR-2000T 500GB Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder
Humax HDR-2000T 500GB Freeview HD Digital TV Recorder

2.0 out of 5 stars Older Humax was far better but not available, 5 Nov. 2014
My Humax PVR 9200T finally stopped recording. So I bought another Humax, expecting it is as good or better. However, first the remote control stopped working after a month. ( Humax sent a replacement to me promptly.) When you are watching tv, the screen suddenly changes to a recording programme. There is no display on the recorder. It is very slow for the tv screen to appear after you press the button from standby. You cannot check what you already booked to record in time/date order like Humax PVR 9200T. If you stop watching a recorded program in the middle and goes back to watch later, this does not go straight to the last video that you watched. So you have to scroll to find it. Subtitles do not sync if you fast forward the recorded program. Even if a program is recorded, very often it says the recording failed. Apart from the fact that you can record 2 programs and watch the third program at the same time, there is no reason to buy Humax HDR-2000T.
P.S. After only 2 years and 5 months of using this, it is getting so bad to receive digital signal, TV is unwatchable now. I know that the bad signal is not caused by my TV aerial because TV reception is better without the Humax . I will never buy a HUMAX TV recorder again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2014 5:38 PM GMT

Monteverdi: L'Orfeo (Gesamtaufnahme, italienisch) [Vinyl Schallplatte] [3 LP Box-Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is The One, On Vinyl Of Course, 3 Mar. 2014
Superb 1968 recording of one of the earliest operas from 1607 with original instruments & Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting The Concentus Musicus Wein. Also truly great singers including Cathy Berberian & The Capella Antiqua. This is Claudio Monteverdi's first opera & it still sounds as fresh today as when I first heard it in 1969. Monteverdi was way ahead of his time, & he still is. There is so much space here, this Music makes every other opera sound cluttered. This is Music from a time when the Earth was far less crowded, & Wow, it shows! So pure & at the same time very, very sexy, sad, joyous & ultimately so uplifting. I have heard other versions of course, but this is the one that really makes my heart swell. Everyone I have ever played it to has loved it, young, old or
indifferent! It will bring tears to your eyes & fill your heart with joy at the same time.

Just one caveat, get it on vinyl if you can. I think most of us are now aware of just how big a con the digital medium is, with it's horribly compressed sound. If one is too lazy to get up & turn a record over, then one has truly lost it.

Oh, & please believe me when I say, it's got Rhythm with a capital R. The Life Force shines strongly in this Music & long may it continue to do so. Thank you Claudio Monteverdi. We owe you big time

Page: 1 | 2