Profile for Susan J. Sparks > Reviews

Content by Susan J. Sparks

Susan J. Sparks (London United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Cabin Max Edinburgh Carry On backpack with padded notebook/ laptop/ipad compartment
Offered by Home & Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars So far it has been on one intercontinental trip and I like it very much, 14 Aug. 2016
I had another Cabin Max backpack for about 5 years and it did very well on a number of international trips but started to suffer inside with some of the pockets ripping. It also didn't have a padded laptop compartment so I decided to replace it with this one. So far it has been on one intercontinental trip and I like it very much. It's more comfortable to carry than the other one I had and I like the front zip pockets and the envelope pockets in the back. Another reviewer said the bottle of water he put in stuck into his back but I didn't find that. It was easy to fit my laptop, Kindle and iPad in the padded compartment and that meant I could get them all out for airport security quickly without rummaging in several places. Obviously too soon to say how well it will wear but it wasn't expensive.

Acts and Omissions
Acts and Omissions

4.0 out of 5 stars even for someone like me with no religion or much interest in the ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Very enjoyable, even for someone like me with no religion or much interest in the Anglican church - amusing and warm but not at all sickly. A bit reminiscent of David Lodge.

Episodes - Series Two [DVD]
Episodes - Series Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt LeBlanc
Offered by Door2DoorEnt

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising treat, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Episodes - Series Two [DVD] (DVD)
Loved this, more than series 1. The main cast members are all wonderful. I have always had huge respect for Tamsin Greig, but Matt LeBlanc gives a genuinely great performance too. The fight between him and Stephen Mangan has to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

An Adventure in Space and Time [DVD]
An Adventure in Space and Time [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Bradley

4.0 out of 5 stars As an admirer of Verity Lambert's productions it was also fascinating to see her early career dramatised and I thought Jessica R, 21 July 2014
Very well scripted and acted. I remember seeing these early episodes as a child so it was very interesting to understand how they came to be made. As an admirer of Verity Lambert's productions it was also fascinating to see her early career dramatised and I thought Jessica Raine was excellent in the role.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2015 9:09 PM GMT

NO COLDER PLACE (Bill Smith/Lydia Chin novels Book 4)
NO COLDER PLACE (Bill Smith/Lydia Chin novels Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series, good book, 24 May 2014
I've read this series somewhat out of order, starting with China Trade but then leaping forwards to Out for Blood, back to Concourse, then Mandarin Plaid, The Shanghai Moon and now this. I have enjoyed them all, but I would say I think the 'Bill Smith' narrated ones are somewhat stronger, and this is an example. I found the plots of Concourse (property speculation) and No Colder Place (construction), rooted in different forms of corruption in New York, most convincing, though The Shanghai Moon had some excellent historical aspects. I would recommend all of them.

Sweet Jiminy
Sweet Jiminy
by Kristin Gore

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other novels, 24 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sweet Jiminy (Hardcover)
I had previously read Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House and enjoyed them a lot, so I gave this one a go. I think the concept was good - burnt out law graduate goes back to small southern town and uncovers decades-old racist murders and contemporary racism - but it almost seemed as if she couldn't sustain her interest in the characters or the setting sufficiently to realise it all fully. The plot was too sketchy and implausible in the end. Perhaps she was too far from what she clearly knows a great deal about, the world of government in Washington.

Twenty Twelve - Series 1-2 [DVD] [2012]
Twenty Twelve - Series 1-2 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 6 Mar. 2013
I saw some of the second series on a flight and had to get the lot. If you have ever worked in an office, especially in London, you will recognise these people immediately. Siobhan the PR woman is only a slight exaggeration - I have worked with people a lot like her. Then there is the earnest Stoke Newington-type head of sustainability, the route-bore and so on. And of course, the fantastic Olivia Colman and Hugh Bonneville plus excellent jokes at the expense of Boris Johnson. We find ourselves often quoting the speech quirks of the characters, which is a sure sign of great writing. The double episode about the threatened boycott of the Games over the religious facilities was the best in my view, absolutely hilarious.

The Silver Sword
The Silver Sword
by Ian Serraillier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see it in print and being read still, 13 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Silver Sword (Paperback)
I loved this book as a child in the 1960s and reread it recently after discovering my copy while clearing out an attic. It is a wonderful story and shows the horrors of war while still being suitable for quite young children. It's fantastic to see that kids are still reading it.

The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company (Vintage)
The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company (Vintage)
by David A Price

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 21 Mar. 2011
Occasionally inclined to hype and indulgence in irrelevant detail, this book nevertheless kept my attention and told the business and creative story of Pixar very well. It whetted my appetite for more on how exactly the creative and technical processes work, but that's fine, as it is basically a book about how the company came into being.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but nasty, 15 Nov. 2010
OK, very cheap, but smells horrible and the zip broke after a couple of weeks. Probably worth investing a bit more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2011 6:37 PM BST