Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., 26 Dec. 2012
Out of the box it took a few minutes to figure out how to switch on and open. Referred to the very minimum booklet and away it went. It easily identified the available WiFi router and once I entered the router code it then picked up all my kindle reader books from my account. This is a problem as I didn't ask it to, and Amazon had automatically assumed it was for me. A security problem so I had a look for a set up screen but the Fire is not user friendly so I decided to leave this to the heavy team( son and grandson) to sort out. It now needed charging so I connected the USB cable to my existing kindle socket and left it for a few hours.

When fully charged I had a play with it and although I new about the nuisance with Amazon flogging their goods I hadn't imagined it would we this bad. I had heard that for around £10 this could be removed but didn't see anything immediately obvious on Amazon site.

Viewing books was easy but screens quite bright so will use mainly e reader. Internet viewing and e mails are also fine. Games and apps have to be downloaded and a few are free. I'm not sure what apps I need so time will tell as I experiment. Sometimes I found it hard to get the home screen icon to appear and I'm not sure why this should be. I didn't expect a fantastic picture but the quality so far is OK. The home screen is rubbish and I hope I can change this.

Apart from advertising my main concern is security as much of my information is held in the cloud and the fact that it automatically goes directly to my Amazon account without asking me to identify myself and log in. To me this seems the simplest of basic protection. The other issue is what security is in place to protect against viruses etc.

It's still early days so I'm not sure if it will be with me for long, I would have preferred a Samsung or Apple but at £99 on special it was less than half the price of an Apple 7 inch and you get what you pay for. As my main use will be web browsing, e mail, pictures, music and a few apps and games it should be sufficient.

1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3
by Haruki Murakami

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow but well written, 1 Sept. 2012
This review is from: 1Q84: Books 1, 2 and 3 (Paperback)
It took me a long time to get through. I have read many of Murakami's books and enjoyed them all, however this one was particularly long as I bought the three books in one. Maybe it would have been better to read the books separately over time. I almost gave up several times as it was so slow. I'm of two minds about the theme, was there really one or did Murakami not have a clear idea and just went with the flow and concentrate on the characters. The book finishes with an opportunity if not a need for a sequel, however, I'm not sure that's Murakami's style.
I can understand why some people might find this book hard going and I'm not really sure if it was worth the effort, but if Murakami comes out with a book 4, about a third world, I doubt if I could resist buying it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 28 May 2012
Was delivered the next day and the price including delivery was still better than the discounted High Street price. I bought it mainly for cold spring/ summer nights but although light it will probably be warm enough in winter under a weatherproof jacket.
Bare in mind there are no pockets

Taming Tigers: Do things you never thought you could
Taming Tigers: Do things you never thought you could
by Jim Lawless

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for taking action, 17 April 2012
Jim Lawson's continual reference to his achievements as a jockey and diver, although commendable, became tiresome after a while, I think if it had been covered in the introduction or first chapter then I could have lived with it . However the story of Jim's year adventure as a jockey and in full, might make a good book on its own followed; by a book concentrating purely on the ten rules.
The ten rules are good advice and if you are making your way in life, and not to old, then this book could be helpful. I got to the stage that I couldn't make up my mind if I was reading the story of Jim the jockey and occasional diver or a self help/inspirational book.
If your 90 and in a nursing home this book is not for you, Jim recons you must be past it. Strangely there are a few people in their late 80's and 90's who are still full of life and in some cases have more energy than many a fraction of their age, The approach that the more caring writer of these types books is the alternative 'what do you want written on your grave stone or epitaph'.
I gave the book a three star because there are other books on the market with a similar message and some more to the point. Written by management/inspirational consultants with details of their wares on the back pages of course.

Winter Screen Cover
Winter Screen Cover
Offered by Xtreme Auto Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars to small, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Winter Screen Cover
You need to check the height of the windscreen. My 09 Corsa is 100cm and as the cover is 70cm it's to small. However it works well if you ensure the windsreen is dry before you fit it otherwise ice can build up under the cover. If the temperature is below zero during the day the cover needs to be put somewhere where it can dry.
A cheap fix for the car where the height is around 70cm. I will get a larger one and give this one to my neighbour who has a mini.

The Gordian Knot
The Gordian Knot
by Prof Bernhard Schlink

3.0 out of 5 stars Corny, 2 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Gordian Knot (Hardcover)
This book is so bad it's good. I should have given up and read something else, but kept thinking the author would produce some sophisticated turn of events. It doesn't happen. However, it's one of these books that you just keep turning the pages and somehow enjoy, like a cult B movie. Strange!

Glen 2 KW Wall Mounted Downflow Fan Heater
Glen 2 KW Wall Mounted Downflow Fan Heater

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 26 Nov. 2011
Although this fan is fairly small and of reasonable quality it would not compliment a modern bathroom, it looks cheap. Also as others have said it needs to be installed by a qualified and approved(NICEIC etc)electrician as it is a notifiable installation under building regulations. If you can get a qualified electrician to install,test and issue a certificate for under £100 you'll be lucky.
Unfortunately I did not realize that unwanted goods must be returned within 7 days( I had thought it was 30 days)so I'm stuck with it!
Will now go and look at towel radiators which I should have chosen in the first place.

Samsung NC110 10.1 inch netbook (Intel Atom N550 1.5GHz, 1Gb, 250Gb, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter) - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good netbook, 2 Nov. 2011
Review of Samsung NP NC 110
Out of the box-well packed easy to fit battery and start charging. Quick start guide a bit of a waste of time but once you switch it on it is fairly straight forward. Picked up WIFi easily and took about 30 to 40 minutes to download various bits of software. Once that was finished I was on to the internet and away. The Norton security would not allow me to download Firefox which I prefer. Norton security tends to slow the computers down and its only free for 60days and then wants fed with cash. There does not seen to be the normal Works now being replaced with Office Starter(with adverts which can be disabled) giving only a word processor and spread sheet, pretty limited so I will download Open Office.
Initially I found the speed OK for normal activities and not slow like some of the reviews I have read about other netbooks. Maybe i'ts because its an Atom N550 which is dual core and I read somewhere that you need it to use Windows 7. However this changed after a couple of days, Norton started showing memory overload, something I had never seen in any of the computers I have previosly owned. Norton was hastely dispatched and replaced with my old faithful AVG. There were still problems due to the Samsung loaded start up software and some of the settings. I use Google Chrome for brousing and it's fast.
After almost a month I have never had 11 hours out of the battery even on full charge, more like 8 hours, which is fine for almost a day. With the larger battery it is a bit heavier than some netbooks.
Picture quality on webcam not as clear as on my Samsung R530 with I3 processor but at half the price I can't complain. The viewing angle straight on is pretty restrictive when watching i- player etc. Sound quality not that good but pretty much par for a netbook. Keyboard action positive and no problems,so far as accidently hitting the pad.
I am happy with this netbook and got it at a good price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2012 11:07 PM GMT

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 15 April 2011
Kindle wi fi review.
Very light to hold(without cover ) and increases reading speed as no pages to turn. It is fine for books of fiction and other books that are purely text but I don't think it will be as good where diagrams etc., are included and meant to be referenced. In choosing books on Amazon it is difficult to tell the quality of the conversion to e book. I bought the free version of the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin however it seemed somehow less than an edition I viewed in a bookshop. Although I did enjoy the e book and this might be an impression as they could not be compared side by side. If you like to read at least one or two books per week then I think this is a good buy, I've had it ten days and managed to get through three, this could be the novelty of the new toy. I recommend that if you intend to be reading for long periods, and are not travelling, you remove if from its cover(if you bought one) as this adds a lot of weight to the Kindle.

Fifty Major Economists (Key Concepts)
Fifty Major Economists (Key Concepts)
by Steven Pressman

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book on economic history, 6 Nov. 2010
An excellent book if you want an overview of the history of the developments of economics. The book is well structures and gives some information on the personalities and the important works of each philosopher. I would recommend this book to anyone interested or studying economics as it is much easier to read than many books on economics.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4