Profile for J. Ewing > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey
Bright Starts Hide and Spin Monkey

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 1 hour, 17 Feb. 2016
Bought for my daughter's birthday, then after 1 hour of use it stopped working. It now makes all the sounds but the monkey doesn't move up and down and doesn't release the balls. After some research it seems this is a common problem - seems like it is poorly made as it should be able to withstand months of play, not just an hour! Very disappointed.

Winstory Kids Toddler Pop Up Ball Pit Play Ball Pool
Winstory Kids Toddler Pop Up Ball Pit Play Ball Pool
Offered by Amegdeshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, compact fun for the kids, 1 Feb. 2016
Well the kids love it, it keeps them amused for ages (you need to put balls in it, obviously), and at the end of the day it folds away to almost nothing so doesn't leave a mess. Great.

NOW TV Box with 3 Month Sky Entertainment Pass
NOW TV Box with 3 Month Sky Entertainment Pass

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor hardware, mediocre service, 1 Feb. 2016
It's hardly surprising that now TV are practically giving this hardware away, it's really low quality. It locks up very regularly after just a couple of months use, requiring a hard reset. As for the now TV entertainment package itself, it's not a bad deal per se, but even if you're only planning to watch it on your laptop you still have to deal with poor design and tech. For some reason, you can't watch nowtv in a chrome browser, nor the new browser from Microsoft, Edge. So if either of those are your browser of choice you'll just have to find something else. Also, you can only watch it on 3 devices, and for some stupid reason you can only change one of those devices once per month. So if you and your wife get new iPads for example, only one of you could start watching nowtv on it straight away. It's just plain weird, and a completely unnecessary restriction.

On the plus side, the TV channels you get for the monthly subscription (if you decide to stay with them past the 3 months provided with this package) are good value, compared to paying for sky TV. However, be aware that not ALL shows are available on these channels. Some strange rights issues prevent nowtv from showing certain programs live, and this isn't made clear upon sign up.

Overall, nowtv is a decent subscription offering let down by poor hardware and baffling restrictions.

Henkel 1807921 UniBond Aero 360 Moisture Absorber Refills, Pack of 2
Henkel 1807921 UniBond Aero 360 Moisture Absorber Refills, Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product., 23 Nov. 2015
Very blue. Also a bit white. Well, half of it in fact.

WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good hard drive, 23 Nov. 2015
You can store digital data on it.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC DVD)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC DVD)
Offered by Ace Goods Co. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning achievement, 23 Nov. 2015
Quite simply the best roleplaying game ever made. Visually stunning, technically superb, challenging, mature stories that break out of the bioware mould of mmo style quests a la dragon age. This is an emotional rollercoaster with SO MUCH STUFF TO DO! I really can't quite believe how cdprojekt have achieved this. Bravo.

Make Money Online: How I Created a Six Figure Income Giving Away a Dead Guy's Book

2.0 out of 5 stars Padding and waffle, 11 Jan. 2012
There is SOME useful information in this book, but it is so padded with waffle and management catchphrases that you might just miss it. I had reached more than 30% of the way through the book before I gleaned anything useful. The only reason I gave it two stars instead of one? It's 77p, so at that price you might as well satisfy your curiosity, but in my opinion you will still be disappointed.

Portal 2 (PC/Mac DVD)
Portal 2 (PC/Mac DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Portal 2 (PC/Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was a bit late getting to Portal 2. I felt the original was a wonderful little package that had said all that needed to be said- I was sceptical at best about whether it was possible to create 6+ hours of content from the same mechanics. Somehow, Valve have managed just that. They've evolved the mechanics just enough to make it feel fresh and new, but not too much that it loses what made the original so special. I thoroughly enjoyed the singleplayer story. I thought some of the middle parts of the game were a little overlong, but whenever it started to really drag they introduced a new gameplay element or story twist that pulled me back in. It took me about 8 hours over the course of three nights, but I've only brieflytouched the multiplayer stuff so far and it looked there is plenty more there to entertain me. One more thing (though it's probably been said enough by other reviewers already)- the voice acting from Merchant et al is superb, and laugh out loud funny in places.
I would give this four and a half stars but at this price (£12.99 at the time of writing) you can't go wrong. Great game.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Raining Mammoths!, 9 Dec. 2011
This is an outstanding achievement from Bethesda, taking everything we loved from Oblivion and cranking it up to 11, creating a more believable, immersive world and a gripping main quest to go with it. Of course, they left in some trademark bugs to make sure you were in absolutely no doubt that this is a Bethesda game through and through!

Bethesda create the illusion of a living open world remarkably well. Villagers rise at dawn, leave their homes, walk to their shops, work for the day, banter with neighbours, then at dusk they retire to a local inn to drink and listen to a ballads tune. Then it's off to bed to rest in preparation for the next day in Skyrim. Sounds great doesn't it? Actually, it really is, because the detail crammed into these towns, villages, citizens and their routines distracts the player from the fact that they're all on rails for such a long time. I'd been playing for 40 hours before the game started to get a little predictable for me- I'd seen through the illusion, understood all the mechanics and the game didn't hold the same sort of magic for me anymore. But... 40 hours!! In that time I'd played through a main plot that was 10 times superior to anything Oblivion had to offer, and also engaged in a few side quests that were nearly as much fun.

Now that the magic is over I will still play - there is still so much more to see and I don't doubt I will be surprised and drawn in again by the great writing on offer. Great stuff, Bethesda. Of course, there are drawbacks. The aforementioned bugs raise their ugly head again, and whilst I understand that a game of this size and complexity must be verging on impossible to test completely, it's still frustrating to happen upon a broken quest or crash to desktop. At the same time, some of the bugs just make me laugh, like the mammoth that fell out of the sky one day and almost crushed me. Totally random. The UI also seems as though it has been lifted straight from the console version with little or no thought for how PC users might experience it.

It's difficult to know how to score this. It's a totally different animal to linear RPG's like Dragon Age or Mass Effect, and that can be refreshing, but its also not as tight and cohesive as those titles and can leave the player feeling a little aimless at times. I think 4-stars is fair because it's a brilliant game, but it's also not without its fair share of faults that could have been avoided.

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R.R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Cool, George., 8 Dec. 2011
I can only echo the many reviewers complaining about the unnecessary length of this book. I wouldn't mind 1000 pages if there was much of anything to fill it with, but the plot development is so excruciatingly slow I wonder if even GRRM knows where he's taking it. I was past page 700 before I experienced anything I could describe as excitement, and to be fair there were some chapters toward the end that got my hard pounding, but sadly they don't make up for what came before.

My erstwhile favourite character, Tyrion, has become so tedious and humourless that I can't bear to see his name at the top of a page anymore. Daenerys is unrecognisable from previous books, I can't believe anyone would want to follow this woman (sorry, girl) and look to her as Queen. Jon, well, others have remarked on the cliffhanger that his arc ended in. Well it has made me angry because at the current speed of George's writing it will take half a decade to resolve. And even then, will it resolve? Heck, half the cliffhangers from Feast of Crows weren't resolved so why should we hold out much hope for this one?

There were some highlights that prompt me to give this 2 stars instead of 1. I enjoyed the stories of Reek and Barristan. Reek's were disturbing but very compelling. Barristan is the guy you just want to root for, and his `action scene' near the end is probably the only bit of action I can recall. For a world at war it is bemusing that there are so few accounts of swordplay or anything close to it. I understand that the focus is on characters rather than action, but for some reason I find it tedious where it was once engaging.

GRRM might not care about my point of view - he is a multimillionaire already and probably isn't even held to account by his publisher- but I for one will eye the next instalment with caution.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3