Profile for Mrs. C. E. Matthews > Reviews

Content by Mrs. C. E. Mat...

Mrs. C. E. Matthews (norwich UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Barn on Half Moon Hill
The Barn on Half Moon Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant as always from Milly, 7 Jun. 2016
Brilliant as always from Milly, grabs you from the first word then you can't put it down! And Milly's generosity in donating all proceeds from this book to Clare is outstanding and humbling.

The House on Bellevue Gardens
The House on Bellevue Gardens
by Rachel Hore

5.0 out of 5 stars The house on Bellevue Gardens, 20 April 2016
Another beautifully crafted book from Rachel Hore, she never fails to deliver! Easy to read but in depth characters and stories and unfailingly meticulously researched.
I loved all the characters in this book, even the not so nice ones but the house itself was a very big part of the story.
I always find Rachel's books fantastic to read, always different, never predictable and very well researched, this latest one is no exception and an intelligent insight on modern life.
Looking forward to the next one!

Something Only We Know
Something Only We Know
by Kate Long

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 12 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Something Only We Know (Paperback)
If only it were possible to award more than 5 stars as Kate's new novel thoroughly deserves all the praise possible.
This is wonderful family novel, instantly readable but it deals with serious issues and family relationships in a manner that most of us will recognise, how family works and that none of us are perfect, we just manage as best we can and support whole heartedly those we love.
It is set in Chester, the city where I grew up, it was so lovely to recognise my childhood home, I was instantly back there thanks to Kate's descriptive writing.
As a retired nurse, I really appreciate clear and informative insight into eating disorders, very understandable for non medical people, I also felt that the secrecy that surrounds this issue which is also a large part of the condition was so well written. In my opinion, Kate showed the dynamics of a family dealing with this illness so clearly and sympathetically but was never overly sentimental, each member of the family had a voice, it was again excellent writing in the way this was shown.
The novel dips back into past events and the different interpretation of such events by family and friends was very true to life, it was inspiring and hopeful.
The characters were well defined, both good and bad, there were a couple who needed a wake up call! I felt so much part of their lives and was sorry to let them go at the end!
Every book Kate writes seems to be better than the previous one, I have no hesitation in recommending this book to everyone and am looking forward to Kate' s next book

The One Plus One
The One Plus One
by Jojo Moyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Hardcover)
I thought it would be almost impossible to top Me before You, well this latest novel by Jojo Moyes has, in my opinion, drawn level, it's not really fair to compare as the books tackle such different topics, this ,to me, just illustrates Jojo's versility.
This story of modern family life and living in general is funny, heart breaking and up lifting, I loved the characters and wanted to shake the people who beset them at all! No doubt it will be labelled "chick lit", a term I dislike intensely, this book has a lot of depth to it as well as being very easy to read, top class read that I highly recommend

A Place to Call Home
A Place to Call Home
by Carole Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars A place to call Home, 27 April 2014
This review is from: A Place to Call Home (Paperback)
I have enjoyed all Carole's books that I have read, this one goes up a level in my opinion, a very difficult subject matter covered with tremendous skill and empathy, straight from the first page. Despite the serious theme, there some laugh out loud moments, wonderful characters that steal your heart instantly, a book to make you think as well as enjoy, highly recommend it

Gorgeous Reads for Christmas (Choc Lit)
Gorgeous Reads for Christmas (Choc Lit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Choc Lit, 23 Dec. 2013
I have read several books from the Choc Lit authors, mainly Sue Moorcroft, never fail to enjoy and absorb me, some fine writing, highly recommended

Calling Mrs Christmas (Christmas Fiction)
Calling Mrs Christmas (Christmas Fiction)
by Carole Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended read, 16 Nov. 2013
Each book by the lovely Carole gets better than the one before, must be akin to good wine! This is a truly enjoyable read, while easy to read, some serious issues are tackled and dealt with very well, I found the insight into young offenders honest and thoughtful, the pain of children of separated parents was all too true to life, much to my sorrow this has happened to some of my beloved grandchildren. The lighter issues in the book were equally enjoyable, loved all the Christmassy stuff and the trip to Lapland was superb, I want to go right now! I also loved the ongoing dilemmas endured the heroine produced by different people in her life, linked it all together extremely well, you will regret it if you don't read this book as soon as possible, don't wait for Christmas!!

Call Nurse Millie
Call Nurse Millie
by Jean Fullerton

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Call Nurse Millie (Paperback)
I can highly recommend this book, it is very well researched, very authentic and a great story to boot! I can remember the early fifties as I was a small girl then, although this book is set a little earlier than this it feels very evocative of that time to me. The nursing detail is excellent, I trained in the early 60's but its very familiar, this is how nursing was then! Even with no nursing background this book will appeal as the characters and storyline grip from page one! Many congratulations to Jean on a first class book, looking forward to the next one, meanwhile I will be getting hold of Jean's earlier titles!

Husband, Missing
Husband, Missing
by Polly Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars A book not to be missed, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Husband, Missing (Paperback)
I chose this book as I have read others by Polly Williams previously and was expecting it to be similar, well it was very different from what I expected, very pleasantly so! It grabbed me from the first page, easy to get into but well written, quietly understated but well defined. I found the characters very believable and true to life, some much nicer than others! There were many twists and turns, it never took the direction I expected apart from one which I will not name for fear of spoiling the plot for others.I felt the emotions of the main characters were excellently expressed, I was on the ride with them, really, I could not put it down till I had finished it then was sad because there was no more to read! A mark of a excellent, well crafted book, looking forward to the next book from Polly.

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet
by Anna Jacobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, 14 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I think I have read nearly all Anna's books, so although I do not normally read short stories, I decided to try this as I always enjoy Anna's writing, takes me back to my Lancashire roots in some cases and lets me picture Australia in others! I am so glad I did, I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful collection, I particularly loved the introductions before each story explaining how it came to be and why Anna wanted to write about something. As an avid reader and an amateur scribbler ( never had the courage to submit anything yet!) I loved finding familiar characters in the stories and seeing how some of Anna's books developed from her orginal ideas, this has made re think my attitude to short stories, somethink new to explore, thank you Anna, off to find some more short stories by favourite authors!

Page: 1 | 2