Profile for Tamra > Reviews

Content by Tamra

Tamra

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell Mystery)
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell Mystery)
by Laurie R. King

5.0 out of 5 stars finally!, 31 July 2007
This is how I discovered this book: While attending a small two year college in a one horse town with one main street, I began to hunger for something to do. I had visited the on campus library any number of times and decided that it might be fun to investigate the public library in town. After a small self guided tour I settled into my basic rut; the mystery section. As I was scanning the lowest shelf, crouched on my knees with my glasses on the tip of my nose, I found it!

A book called The Beekeeper's Apprentice, in the middle of the mysteries could only be about one person: Sherlock Holmes! I'd been searching for new material for ages, reading little things meant for children and meant as spoofs, with the usual half amused snort. I even listened the old radio show hoping for something worth my time. I was nearly to the point of succumbing to my fear that I would never find such a thing. I was wrong. As a bonafied Baker Street Irregular, Holmesian or what-have-you, I recommend this book and the seven subsequent volumes to anyone who has ever wished that Sherlock Holmes really lived. (The book even makes you wonder if he did.) Mary Russell is the perfect addition to the "Holmes Gang" and my personal role-model where fiction is concerned. A must read. I can hardley wait for the ninth installment!