Profile for horrorfilmbuff > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Moving On
Moving On

3.0 out of 5 stars What a swizz..., 22 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Moving On (Audio CD)
I bought the album thinking she'd done a really original classical pop album, after all Myleene herself had reportedly said that she sings 60% on it. What she should have done was take the 6 away. That's right, she sings nothing! Zilch! Not even a "la". It's all piano pieces of the same classical songs we've heard over and over.
Good job I actually like classical music in itself...
What a swizz

Lights Out
Lights Out

5.0 out of 5 stars Who turned out the lights? >:(, 1 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Lights Out (Audio CD)
Who cares? I absolutely LOVE this debut single from Lisa Marie Presley. It's so...different. Her voice, the music, the style. The lyrics are different too, very personal, which is like her album "To Whom It May Concern", which is also faaaaaab. Pick it up!
Lisa Marie Presley - Long may you reign!

Up! [International Version]
Up! [International Version]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Why I hate the words "World Album Version"......, 28 Dec. 2002
When I first heard the samples of various songs from this new album, such as "Up!" "Juanita" and "Gonna Getcha Good", I was excited about purchasing the follow up to the exceptional "Come on Over".
It's not as good.
The album comes to the UK in two colours, Red and Blue, but I'll talk about that in a moment.
The album starts with my favourite song EVER. "Up!" It's the best song I've ever heard and makes the album in my opinion. The came "Gonna Getcha Good!" a nice, catchy different taste of Shania. After those two, with the exception of "Waiter Bring Me Water!" and "In my car I'll be the driver" the songs sound so repetative on the first hearing. But after a few more listens, you begin to pick out distinct signatures in each song. However, they just aren't as catchy and as deep as the songs from "Come on Over", they're just too shallow, as if they were cranked out to fill up the album, and with 19 songs it's a pretty big album. After a while you'll find yourself picking out a couple of songs each time you pop the album into your player, and not bothering with the majority of the album.
Now the different versions...
The Pop version (Red) is what I listen to, just normal, catchy tunes and beats. The World version (Blue) is appalling. I hated it. They backwashed every song with some stupid oriental/indian traditional rubbish that seems so out of place with Shania's voice. I listened to a small clip from each song on the blue version to realise I'd never, EVER listen to it. Worst of all, "Up!" is totally butchered on the blue version!!!
Overall, this is a bland version of Shania. It's not her, it's some sort of manifactured butchery to her music to grab as much money as possible. It will be my life challenge now to achieve the Green version. The REAL Shania.

L.A.Connections
L.A.Connections
by Jackie Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay...until the end., 17 Oct. 2002
This review is from: L.A.Connections (Paperback)
This Jackie Collins book is okay, not good nor brilliant, just okay.
The characters are lively, and possibly the best thing about the book itself. Madison Castelli is a sharp tongued journalist who I would love to meet if she existed. Salli T Turner is a big bosomed Pamela Lee type. Natalie De Burge is a black news anchor woman, who loves matchmaking and dreams of a TV career.
There are plenty more including Kristin, the high priced call girl and Freddie Leon the cold hearted agent.
The storyline is a bit dull, but pacy. It's like she made it up as she went along. The ending is a mess. You expect a great big climax that will explode and shock you. Instead you get a tiny sizzle that just scrapes your satisfaction. Even the identity of the elusive Mr X isn't a great big shock, not that you will suspect who it is, merely the character itself.
This is a book for Jackie fans, but don't expect another "Hollywood Wives" or "Chances" because it's a modern book, and not up to her usual standards...Still I like it.

Love Killers (Paragon Softcover Large Print Books)
Love Killers (Paragon Softcover Large Print Books)
by Jackie Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Who killed the Love?, 16 Oct. 2002
I'VE HAD this book a while now, but I've only just read it. It's a great book with a thrilling storyline: Three girls seduce mob men in revenge of what they did to their friend. The basic plot is "Seduce & Destroy."
It's the usual Jackie, but this time a little bit further away from the Hollywood glamour and glitz. This one's based in luxury hotels and manky underground seedy clubs.
The characters are wicked, from the three girls with names like DivaStarz to the woman at the start who gets...ahem...holy. There's the usual sex, if not more, and she still succeeds in making them erotic without being vulgar.
If you like Jackie, read this. It's not outstanding, but it's Jackie!

The War Of The Worlds [VHS]
The War Of The Worlds [VHS]
VHS
Offered by stephensmith_426

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT an adaption..., 28 July 2002
Okay, I had high expectations for this film after reading the book and reading reviews. Okay, so it wasn't what I expected, it's still a good Sci-Fi schlock.
They've changed the setting from 1800s England to 1950s America, which I thought was better, as they had more experience of that era. (It was the era they were living in...) But they made a "Day of the Triffids" of the storyline, changing it almost completely. I hated the fact that the Martian machines flew instead of walked int he film, yet the machines did look very...strange. I hated the Martians...they looked too rubbery and too.......fake. their eyes spoiled them. they're meant to look like giant brains, not like Mikey from Monsters Inc.
The film is a PG so it isn't as violent as I'd like, but it did succeed in frightening me, if it was a bit too short. Over all though, I enjoyed it, and will be my No. 1 Sci-Fi film...

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within [DVD] [2002]
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Ming-Na

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Hot. Great Plot., 25 Jan. 2002
This film was absoulutely brilliant. the animation was amazing, if not truly convincing.
The plot was somewhat deep and complex, which was a shame; as it seemed to go right above the head of some viewers. Shame they aren't bringing out another.

Code Veronica: No.6 (Resident Evil)
Code Veronica: No.6 (Resident Evil)
by S. D. Perry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this written by S.D.Perry?, 9 Dec. 2001
Oh dear.
I waited anxiously for many months for this, and I'm SOOOOO disapointed.
The plot is excellent, but is spoiled so badly by the way it is written. This is not S.D.Perry's standard at all. Towards the end she rushes clumsily and the final battle is a few lines long. This should have been a masterpiece, but it's not.
The warped minds of Alexia and Alfred are very good, but why didn't she take care and time on this?!?!? It reads like she rushed through it to get it out to the shops. It's SOOOOO bad. I hope that anymore which are released are not like this.
Pleeeeease S.D.Perry. Rewrite it!!! It should have been sooooooooo much better.
*weeps uncontrolably*

Grinny (Puffin Books)
Grinny (Puffin Books)
by Nicholas Fisk

5.0 out of 5 stars I vote we kill her. Tonight., 4 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Grinny (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Grinny is one of those books that you read once, forget about it, read it again, then love it. It's a science fiction classic, about the way children have to cope with a serious dilemma where the parents are completely useless.
Great Aunt Emma (A.K.A Grinny) comes to stay, but soon the children, brother and sister Tim and Beth, and Tim's best friend Mac, start to suspect that Grinny isn't all she seems to be. She's scared of electricity, has metal bones (There was no meaty stuff, just lots of metal rods! - Quote Beth) and she glows at night.
Then as the tension grows, the kids spot Grinny's weaknesses, and use them in a brilliant showdown of Good vs Evil.
This is brilliant, buy it.
P.S. If you enjoy this read it's sequal 'You remember me!' also by Nicholas Fisk.

Caliban Cove (Resident Evil)
Caliban Cove (Resident Evil)
by S. D. Perry
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay I suppose, 4 Oct. 2001
This is the second book in the series, it's very good, but the ending is very weak. The 'twist' with karen is so predictable. But I cannot diss it, as it is her FIRST original RE novel. Well done S.D.Perry! And I'm looking forward to your Code Veronica Novelization.

Page: 1 | 2