Profile for Laurence > Reviews

Content by Laurence

Laurence (Sanderstead, Surrey United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Black + Decker GLC3630L20-GB 36V Cordless Strimmer with 2.0Ah Li battery and charger

5.0 out of 5 stars A cordless strimmer that works, 10 April 2014
Despite positive reviews on the 1.3Ah model, I resisted buying because I was concerned that the battery wouldn't last long enough. When B&D released this 2.0Ah model, I was out of excuses, so I bit the bullet.
As reviews on the 1.3Ah model suggested, this is perfectly powerful enough to replace a corded grass trimmer. I use a strimmer for tidying lawn edges, not brush cutting. My first go with this one left me pleasantly surprised. I fully charged the battery, started a stopwatch and set to work on the lawn. I didn't find the need to use it in anything but economy mode (which helps the battery last longer) and I got 53 minutes of constant use from it before the battery gave up. There was no discernible loss in power until the last few minutes of use.
Being used to a corded strimmer, it took a little while for me to stop looking for the cable and I really felt the benefit of not having to worry about it.
The strimmer is very well balanced and the telescopic height adjustment is quick, simple and secure so it was comfortable to use. I was able to work with it for the 53 minutes without aching arms. I particularly like the twisting head which turns on its side for doing edges vertically. With the guard in place it makes edging a doddle.
I've considered cordless grass trimmers for a few years now, but have resisted because I wasn't convinced they were powerful enough (premium models which might have been were too pricey), but this one ticked all the boxes and I've not been disappointed. I was tempted to buy a spare battery, but with an hour of use and a fast charger, I decided that wasn't necessary - and they're not cheap.
Would definitely recommend.

Logitech R400 Wireless Presenter
Logitech R400 Wireless Presenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this in the classroom., 22 Mar. 2014
Wouldn't be without it now. Comfortable to hold, useful pointer. Have a few of these in adjoining classrooms and they don't interfere as they're each paired with their own receiver. It is possible to get the receivers separately around £10) when they get lost and there's a short procedure for pairing the replacement with the presenter. I read a review somewhere that said replacements don't work, but I bought one anyway. I'm guessing that reviewer hadn't followed the pairing instructions properly as I had no problem at all.

Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 - Black, Size - M-XXL

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly with iPhone 4S., 22 Mar. 2014
Was using an older polar monitor with watch, foot pod, MP3 player and headphones, but was sick of having so many gadgets to connect before I could head off running. So bought this and bluetooth earphones to go with the iPhone. Admittedly, that hasn't reduced the gadget count that much, but it seemed like a good idea. Anyhow, it works very well. Was easy to connect and the battery has lasted well so far (the iPhone doesn't on a long run, but that's because of the GPS, not the bluetooth for the monitor). Would recommend this.

Provado Lawn Grub Killer 10 sachets
Provado Lawn Grub Killer 10 sachets

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it seems to work., 22 Mar. 2014
Got a couple of packets of this, because I've read that it was about to be banned.
Treated the back lawn and the dead patches seem to be recovering, which suggests the grubs have been killed. What I don't get is why the birds haven't stopped tearing up the lawn. Maybe I need to buy a gun.

Tromner Reflex Hammer
Tromner Reflex Hammer
Offered by ADTUK Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tromner Reflex Hammer
A little delicate, so not much use for putting in tent pegs. But for reflexes, it's just fine. If you need to hit them that hard, you're probably not doing it right anyway.

Draper 40765 18-Volt 2-Speed Cordless Hammer Drill Ni-CD Battery
Draper 40765 18-Volt 2-Speed Cordless Hammer Drill Ni-CD Battery
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 22 Mar. 2014
Have bought a few cordless power tools. This wasn't the best, but at the price (around £50), astonishing value for money. On a par with Bosch green range and more than capable of most home DIY jobs. For heavy masonry work, I'd use a mains powered or 18V Dewalt, Makita, Hitachi or better, but at this price, as a multi purpose cordless, this is very good indeed.

Tetris Version 2 Tetrimino Light
Tetris Version 2 Tetrimino Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, gadgety light., 22 Mar. 2014
Bought this as a Christmas present for my nephew and it went down very well. Would have gone down well with most of the family, I think.

Rentokil PSBN804 Rat Killer 1kg
Rentokil PSBN804 Rat Killer 1kg
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for the wife..., 22 Mar. 2014
Well, for the mice in the garage that she'd been complaining about.
Worked well. They loved it so much that they started stashing it in one of her trainers, where they'd decided to make their home. The mice were long gone before she discovered their remains, and where they'd been hiding the poison. The look on her face made it worth every penny.

10 [DVD] [1979]
10 [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Dudley Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite amusing..., 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: 10 [DVD] [1979] (DVD)
But Dudley Moore not as good as in Foul Play, which is my favourite Dudley film.
I'd seen bits of this in the past, but never the whole film and after seeing a couple of his films recently, thought I'd take the opportunity to see it all the way through. Worth watching but not nearly as funny as I'd remembered it was. Still, quite a sweet film and an easy watch.

Bosmere C610 Bench Seat Cover - 3 seat
Bosmere C610 Bench Seat Cover - 3 seat

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for protecting a 3 seater garden bench., 22 Mar. 2014
Purchased two of these to protect a pair of Lifetime convertible benches (from Costco) and they fitted perfectly.
I already had a similar Bosmere cover for a barbeque and that has lasted for around 8 years and is still going strong. The negative review that says the plastic cracks after one season may be referring to the cheaper 'B' product line, which is made of poorer material. Certainly, the barbeque cover has survived a few British summers and winters without any problem.
The product description doesn't state height at front and back which I'd have liked to know before purchase. In case it's of use to anyone else, at the back, height is 880mm and at front it's 620mm. By chance that happened to be just right.
The only teeny niggle for me is that the 4 cords it comes with are too short to reach around the whole bench. It's designed so that one passes around each leg, but the design of these benches means it works better to have cords around the entire bench that pull tight onto it. Not a big deal, I can easily buy some cord and for most benches, a cord around each leg is probably the way to go.
Terrific product, would recommend this. Worth the extra money over the cheaper B range which would probably need replacing every couple of years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7