Profile for M. McCann > Reviews

Content by M. McCann

M. McCann "rednotdead1976" (N Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Back to Basics: (Guitar tab)
Back to Basics: (Guitar tab)
by Billy Bragg

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past but still inspirational- in more ways than one, 5 Jun. 2009
As a Billy Bragg fan, and someone who has been struggling to learn the guitar, I though it would be useful to learn some of my favourite tunes, and this proved to be a good source. This offers more than that- as well as the tabs, chords and sheet music, along with the lyrics for some of Billy's greatest works, there are glimpses of other aspects of the mid-80's. It is well put together, and while it has aged a bit (an ad on the last page to join the Labour Party, with Neil Kinnock probably contributes to this) it is useful as not only a musical source but as a historical snapshot of radical 80's politics when Thatcher was in power.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2011 11:03 AM BST

Araldite 15ml Extra Strong Rapid Adhesive in Tube Pack (Set of 2)
Araldite 15ml Extra Strong Rapid Adhesive in Tube Pack (Set of 2)
Offered by GLUES'N'HARDWARE

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a great product, 5 Jun. 2009
The first time I ever come across Araldite, was when my Granda would always swear by it for it's adhesive qualities. My dad would also use it to fix our school shoes when the soles would come off.So when a few fixtures around the house and my realtively new trainers needed repaired I decided to keep up the family tradition and ordered some Araldite and was not disappointed. It can be a bit messy first time you use it, with the mixing of the two tubes but the end results are worth it- my trainers are still in one piece and the plastics I stuck are still, well, stuck! It is always useful to have such a strong adhesive that adapts to the wear and tear of whatever it is used on.

Vroom by the Sea: The Sunny Parts of Italy on a Bright Orange Vespa
Vroom by the Sea: The Sunny Parts of Italy on a Bright Orange Vespa
by Peter Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success for Peter Moore, 5 Jun. 2009
Everytime I pick up a new Peter Moore book, I do get worried, since I feel it is impossible to keep up such a high level of writing, wit and observation and I fear I will be disappoined. Happily, "Vroom by the Sea" continues Moore's high strike rate! I started this book and found myself falling into the trap of reading right through to the small hours and ending up being late for work the next day. No higher praise can I think of than that! Overall this book is packed with great insight and is an inspriational for wannabe independent travellers to get away from the beaten track and engage with the people from the place in which they are travelling. It is a joy to read particularly as it is written by a man who has not lost any of his enthusiasm for travelling or writting about it.

Oz - Season 6 [DVD]
Oz - Season 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harold Perrineau Jr

5.0 out of 5 stars Going out on a high, 5 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Oz - Season 6 [DVD] (DVD)
This collection of the last season of Oz generally does the whole series justice. There are some major plot jumps in order to provide a small level of closure for a series that quit when it was ahead, but due to the interlinked and multiple storylines each epsiode throughout the six seasons involved, they get away with it. I would argue that OZ is from my point of view the most underated product from HBO, and this is a just reward for those who stayed with the show throughout, even though it quite unfashionably makes it viewers think and recognise the world is not black and white. The ending may make a few people feel unfufilled and lack closure for them, but I think this is in keeping with the ethos that nothing has a nice fairytale ending and no one is immune from moral and ethical contradictions. It is a pity OZ ended but at least it did not taint it's legacy unlike other shows that didn't know when to go.

Principles and Practice of Informal Education
Principles and Practice of Informal Education
by Linda Deer Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most useful books I have ever used, 9 April 2009
This book is an excellent collection for anyone who is invovled in youth work, community work or any other form of informal education. It is very well compiled and contains many articles on a wide range of concepts that anyone who delivers and plans group work or community interventions will find useful. This was an essential resource for when I was doing my Masters but it is also an excellent resource on a practical level- very rarely do academic theory and actual practice come together so well.

Cider With Roadies
Cider With Roadies
by Stuart Maconie

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, recognisable and even the title involves great word play!, 18 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Cider With Roadies (Paperback)
I have always been a fan of Stuart Maconie, particularly since his and Mark Radcliffe's show on Radio 2 keeps me company on the long drive home after working late. This book is basically about Maconie growing up an dhis immersion into music, and is a great antidote for the X-Factor Generation to see that people who care about music and get into it indepth are more interesting and better company than those who follow the latest trends. From his time growing up immersed in Northern Soul right through his experiences in Thatcher's Britain, I had to ration myself to a few pages otherwise I would have read this book in one sitting and not gotten any sleep. Really recommend it for those who really do love music rather than the trite banal nonsense that pervades our everyday existence and media. Don't read this book in public though since the involuntary loud laughs you will emit may draw strange reactions from those near by.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2009 10:35 PM BST

BG: Saints Row 2 Signature Series Guide
BG: Saints Row 2 Signature Series Guide
by BradyGames

2.0 out of 5 stars More a plot summary rather than guide, 18 Dec. 2008
As SR2 is such a great game I was severly disappointed with this guide, particularly as Brady guides have served me well in the past. Basically the maps with the tags, hidden CDs etc do not contain a lot of info- not when compared to GTA strategy maps for instance. Each mission section simply describes the plot rather than any real strategies- no real hints to get through the tricky bits particularly the higher levels of the diversions and activities. The book just tells you what you already know, and normally I am a fan of strategy guides for games such as this but this one was a real let down. While it looks great from a style and artistic point of view, this is one clear case of style ruling over content. Apart from highlighting the secret mission, this book did not benefit my gameplay in any way, and since the extra mission is well documented on the internet, save your money unless you just want the fancy artwork.

What's Going On?: The Meanderings of a Comic Mind in Confusion
What's Going On?: The Meanderings of a Comic Mind in Confusion
by Mark Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars The personal is political, 5 Aug. 2008
Having read and devoured "Vive La Revolution", "Reasons to be Cheerful" and "It's Not a Runner Bean", I preordered this book and was really glad to get it earlier than expected. I recieved it at 4pm on the Thursday and by bedtime that night had finished 3/4 of it and completed the rest after work the next day. This has been my experience of all Mark Steel's books- they mix humour and great writing with political views that I happen to share and make for a book that you just want to read right through to the end. This is not a book to read in public, unless you don't mind people looking at you strangely when you keep laughing out loud! Mark also articulates the difficulties make of us have on the left with the manner certain things have been done, so it is good to see we are not on our own. I fully recommend this book- it is almost enough for me to start buying the Independent again on Wednesdays!

The Simpsons Game (PS2)
The Simpsons Game (PS2)
Offered by Warby 4 Games & Gifts

2.0 out of 5 stars Potentially good game hampered by camera and controls, 29 Dec. 2007
I have been after this game since it came out and having played the previous Simpsons games was expecting a fun and relatively easy distraction to provide a break from Scarface. At one level this is what I got, but on another the game suffers from really bad camera views, often affecting the action- I lost coun of the number of times I failed because it flipped at the wrong time. It can also disorientate due to the way it flips. The controls are not as responsive as could be either. Overall, if you get used to the camera it is pretty good and a bit of fun, although the problem solving elements aren't overly difficult.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Official Strategy Guide for PS2 (Official Strategy Guides (Bradygames))
by Tim Bogenn

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and misleading in places, 21 Jun. 2007
Like the previous reviewer I buy the Bradyguides to try and achieve 100% and before now the only big problem I had was in the San Andreas Guide where the Horseshoe map was inaccurate. However this one really does take the biscuit- you have to ask if Tim Bogenn even played the PS2 version of the game. He refers throughout to players entering yellow blips to start a mission when they are pink, two of the red balloons are not where he said they were and in a lot of cases the screenshots beside the discriptions of the locations are mixed up and some of the mission details are wrong as well. He says that Starfish Island cannot be accessed after the first few missions until after the "Zero to Hero" mission which is wrong- it is open all the time. He also says that in Vic's barracks is a power up icon for an assault rifle- it is actually a pistol, and in the mission where Phil helps Vic to break into Fort Baxter there is a whole section dedicated to the player having to find a Linerunner lorry to climb on to get over the wall, when the mission marker is actually on top of a small building you get on to jump the wall.

Overall, perhaps because of the previous high standards Brady guides have encouraged me to expect I was severely disappointed. My first instinct when things aren't where they are is to think I am doing something wrong, so when it turns out the book is the problem then I do feel it was a waste of time and money- there are better red balloon guides (the only reason I really bought it in the first place) for free on the net. If you want help to get 100% go elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4