Profile for W. I. Taylor > Reviews

Content by W. I. Taylor

W. I. Taylor "quality humorist" (Fife, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
George Foreman 4-Portion Family Health Grill 18471 - Black
George Foreman 4-Portion Family Health Grill 18471 - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor show, 20 April 2017
Bought this to replace a larger GF grill which has seen better days and lost a lot of it's non-stick coating. I appreciated that the new one was smaller and has come in for some stick (pardon the pun) re the grill size. That didn't matter to me but I was disappointed that it doesn't have a timer which means being ever present to avoid distractions and hence over-cooking. Neither is there a temperature control. All previous grills came with one or two drip trays and a plastic grooved spatula to avoid scraping the non-stick coating. The tray is included but NO spatula. On the plus side, it does cook as quick as the old one but I doubt very much if the original price quoted ever attracted any purchases. Bought this smaller grill as it took up less space but fortunately I haven't ditched the old one yet so there's a very good chance that it will be recommissioned.
Nearly forgot to mention that the outer casing becomes extremely hot after only 10 minutes. Not good!

British Railways Volume 6 - Steam in the Midlands [DVD]
British Railways Volume 6 - Steam in the Midlands [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wilf Watters
Offered by i want one of those

1.0 out of 5 stars The content would be brilliant if only it had been shot with a half ..., 8 Oct. 2016
Eagerly awaited receipt of this disc. I am normally quite acceptable of old film as the quality can never be of that of which we expect with today's equipment. The content would be brilliant if only it had been shot with a half decent camera. Thank goodness there is commentary to describe what you cannot discern with your own eyes. E.g. He describes a "Crab" passing on a freight working. Without the commentary, I would have been none the wiser. I would guess that the content has been shot on 8mm with a poor transfer to video/DVD. Sound has been dubbed onto the film poorly as far as synchronisation is concerned. In short, the quality is abysmal and is only marginally better than watching paint dry.

What We Did On Our Holiday [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
What We Did On Our Holiday [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Rosamund Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this one., 23 Nov. 2015
It is said, "never act with children or animals". The children in this movie were excellent with some great interaction and an unusual story line. The adults shone as well. Definitely one for the shelf as you'll watch it more than once.

Replacement TV Remote Control for LG 6710T00009D[DVD]
Replacement TV Remote Control for LG 6710T00009D[DVD]
Offered by spares4us

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 9 April 2015
Did all the things it was asked to do. Different layout from original but once I got the hang of it performed fine on both tv and dvd.

BR Mark 1 and Mark 2 Coaching Stock
BR Mark 1 and Mark 2 Coaching Stock
by Hugh Longworth

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 15 Mar. 2015
Whoa! Hoped when I purchased this book that it would give me regional prefixes for coaching stock numbers and I am not disappointed. It also includes regional changes with dates. I disagree that the book is only good for spotters as we are about 30 years too late for that. Listed are all Mk1 and Mk2 stock including prototypes, Pullmans, mail vans & TPO's, GUV's, CCT's, special parcel van conversions, car artics, car flats, horseboxes, departmental vehicles, internal users and Private Owners. Additionally, bogie types with change dates are detailed. Information includes type,diagram, lot no's, builder, year built, weight and accommodation. There are appendices covering multi regional train formations and SR set formations. There are small side elevation and plan drawings for each category roughly 1.25mm/ft which are not sufficient for modelling unless modelling Z gauge. However they are quite neat but lack dimensions. There is not an abundance of supporting photos but there appears to be at least one of each type. Well on that score, I suppose you've seen one and you've seen them all. I bought the book primarily for prefixes of my specific O gauge coaches....... A bit of overkill but I hadn't realised there was so much information and detail available so now plodding through all 304 pages. Sad, eh?

Cathy Come Home [DVD] [1966]
Cathy Come Home [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ Carol White

4.0 out of 5 stars Whew!, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Cathy Come Home [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
I know this film is a classic. Carol White is pretty much the same character as her portrayal in "Poor Cow". It's difficult to say whether the film is well acted or not as it comes across as a docudrama. Certainly, the film has captured the conditions, bureaucracy, desperation and squalor of Britain in later post-war years. I wasn't in the mood when I tried watching it and had to switch off after 45 minutes. Perhaps it negatively reminded me of conditions in the 60's . The 50's weren't so bad as we had no expectations then but as we pushed against the system in the 60's, we knew we could have better but it was a helluva battle to get there. Anyone thinking of a career in social services should watch this as a compulsory part of training.

The Very Best Of Julie London
The Very Best Of Julie London

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Jan. 2015
Fantastic Julie. A beautiful lady with a beautiful voice. This album is well worth the pennies. I put her up with the greats such as Ella Fitzgerald and Doris Day. I have listened to this DOUBLE album over and over and never tired of listening to it. Go for it!

18 Heartbreaking Songs
18 Heartbreaking Songs

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget it, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 18 Heartbreaking Songs (Audio CD)
Having heard one original track of Timi Yuro "Hurt", I thought I gotta get me some more of this. This album was a bad choice. I don't know when the songs were recorded but the album had a 1993 date on the credits. I can only say that the voice on my original track is nothing like the voice on this album. I would like to say that if her voice had changed on this album, it had perhaps come more husky. Not a bit of it....It was coarse in the extreme. I could only listen to 4 tracks before making a decision to continue and slash my wrists or switch to Julie London for much needed therapy. Perhaps if I can find an original album, my pleasure in listening to Timi may resume.

The Very Best Of Cat Stevens
The Very Best Of Cat Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation, 29 Jan. 2015
I get so much enjoyment from the mellow tones of Cat Stevens. Many tracks I had forgotten about now refreshed. I highly recommended this album.

An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons: v.1
An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons: v.1
by R. J. Essery

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor reproduction, 29 Jan. 2015
Full of expectation and looking forward to my new source of reference, I was totally disappointed when I first opened the book. I will never understand why photographic quality always seems to suffer when a book is reprinted. Always looks like you're seeing them through fog. I bought the book as I was researching a specific wagon. There was a very small reference there accompanied by one photograph. However, the photographic reproduction was so poor as to render the photograph useless. In the end, I had to call upon a loan of an original copy from an associate. This reprinted book is not fit for purpose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7