Profile for S. L. Bain > Reviews

Content by S. L. Bain

S. L. Bain (Shropshire, England)

Don'ts for Husbands
Don'ts for Husbands
by Blanche Ebbutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little book, 23 May 2008
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
Bought this today, but finished it quickly, as it's quite tiny. However, I thought it was lovely - some bits were funny or quaint, but to disagree with the other reviewer, I thought a lot of the advise was actually still very good and worth thinking about.

Maybe not one for the feminists, but not as old-fashioned as you might think either; much of the advise is basically about treating your wife with respect and thoughtfulness (which I must say, I'd prefer to being treated as another man any day!). I can't wait to get started on the one for wives now :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2012 2:34 PM GMT

Usborne Phonics Flashcards
Usborne Phonics Flashcards
by Phil Roxbee Cox
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and useful learning tool, 22 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Usborne Phonics Flashcards (Cards)
Just recieved these today, I am impressed by the clear design - a single word one one side of the card, a picture and the word again on the other side, along with the word broken up into it's phonomes. Also a short guide to using the cards, including a very useful list of the 44 sounds a child has to learn for synthetic phonics.

I also own a set of the 12 phonics books by Usbourne, that use the same pictures, so the cards were immediately recognisable to my son. I think they will come in very handy.

It would be great if there was also a set that just had the individual sounds for starting out, but my son is only 2 so I imagine it wouldn't be a problem if it is more for practise with something a child is already learning at school.

Overall, well worth buying - the words are simple and farmiliar to even young children, and being able to show the word 'broken up' and whole is very helpful.