Profile for S. Abinger > Reviews

Content by S. Abinger

S. Abinger (Berkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Ace Frehley
Ace Frehley

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Ace!!, 7 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Ace Frehley (Audio CD)
I still have all of the kiss albums in vinyl in a box in the garage, along with all the solo albums and a medley solo australian album and concert photos and programmes. I recently went down memory lane, looking at all my concert programmes that I could find, KISS included, an autographed Scorpion one, Iron Maiden, ACDC, the list goes on. My children are embarrassed when I start bopping round the kitchen to "my music" and I often get told to "turn it down mum!!"

My brother recently took me to see Kiss in concert again at Wembley (my husband wouldnt come). I'm now 47 and last was "in" to KISS when I was about 17-20yrs. However, it was such a fantastic show, bringing all the memories flooding back that I decided to buy a couple of the old albums on cd (as I no longer have a record player). Ace's was always the best and I love 8 out of the 9 tracks, most especially fractured mirror.

I am not being analytical about this album or any past KISS connections, I just really still enjoyed listening to it after all these years and would say that even if you are not sure about KISS or the make-up thing! For the ridiculously cheap price you can pick this up now, go for it and decide for yourself. Out of all four solo's - this is the one to start with.

Painting Americana
Painting Americana
by Judy Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars Painting Americana, 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Painting Americana (Paperback)
This is a lovely old type americana style painting book. There are some lovely patterns in here. Probably not totally for the total beginner, but one or two could be attempted.

Big Book of Decorative Borders: Over 500 Borders You Can Paint
Big Book of Decorative Borders: Over 500 Borders You Can Paint
by Jodie Bushman

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Book of Decorative Borders, 16 Jan. 2009
Brilliant book. I have had a copy of this for years in my studio. Literally hundreds of ideas in it. You will be hard pushed not to be inspired by this book when you get stuck on the last little bit of your project which needs a border to finish it off, be it cards or pottery.

Flowers A-Z with Donna Dewberry: More Than 50 Beautiful Blooms You Can Paint
Flowers A-Z with Donna Dewberry: More Than 50 Beautiful Blooms You Can Paint
by Donna Dewberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Flowers A-Z| with Donna Dewberry, 16 Jan. 2009
This is a fab book. Lots of clear pictures and instructions and as it says, a selection of flowers in alphabetical order. I teach painting and this has been well thumbed by myself and my students. All of Donna's books are clear and concise and this is no different. I met her on a workshop once and she is extremely friendly and down to earth, just like her books.

Decorative Painted Wood Projects
Decorative Painted Wood Projects
by Provo Craft

5.0 out of 5 stars Decorative Painted Wood Projects, 16 Jan. 2009
This is one of those books that I will never part with. I found it years ago at an NEC craft show, before I could paint and was well into quilting. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the folksy little picture projects to paint. They are simple and well designed. Lots of colour picture inspiration, even in the layout and presentation. There are bees, noahs ark, rabbits, all sorts. I dont think you would be disappointed in this if you like whimsy.

Decorative Painting for the First Time
Decorative Painting for the First Time
by Plaid

3.0 out of 5 stars Decorative Painting for the First Time, 16 Jan. 2009
Quite a nice clearly written book with simple, well photographed projects. Various techniques are shown and basic first steps to get you on the road to decorative painting.

The Model Railway Manual: A Step-by-step Guide to Building a Layout
The Model Railway Manual: A Step-by-step Guide to Building a Layout
by Cyril John Freezer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Model Railway Manual, 16 Jan. 2009
I purchased this book for my husband for Christmas after he had borrowed it from the library and loved it. He is new to the hobby of trains and I thought this was the same book as the library edition (same author). I made a mistake. He loves the book and would thoroughly recommend it - the only downside was that all illustrations are in black and white. (The one I was supposed to have purchased is still by Cyril Freezer but called Model Railways and has coloured plates!) Enjoy.

Pretty Little Pincushions (Pretty Little Series)
Pretty Little Pincushions (Pretty Little Series)
by Lark Books

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty little pincushions, 16 Jan. 2009
This book is nice, but that about sums it up for me. There are possibly 2 pincushions in it that appeal and then I would never open it again. If Id been able to flick through it in a shop I would not have purchased it.

Warm Fuzzies
Warm Fuzzies
by Betz White

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm Fuzzies, 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Warm Fuzzies (Paperback)
You must get this book! If the cover appealed enough to your creative instincts then you will love everything else inside. It simply is one of those "must have" craft books. I have never done felting and now I will definately be making some, starting with the cover example.

In the Red: The Diary of a Recovering Shopaholic
In the Red: The Diary of a Recovering Shopaholic
by Alexis Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars In The Red, 28 Dec. 2008
Absolutely brilliant. A light hearted read which made me feel better about my own financial circumstances. It is by no means a bible of what to do, more a light hearted laugh at someone else muddling through (and actually clearing about £9000 off her debt in one year - I wish!)

Inspiring and funny - read it in 2 days here and there. Would love to read some more by this lady but apparently no sequel as yet to see if she had stuck to her guns.

Page: 1 | 2