Profile for Vernal Scott > Reviews

Content by Vernal Scott

Vernal Scott (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
GRDE® Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.0 Headset, Splash-proof Sweatproof Earphone, Headphone with NFC Function. Support Mute Mode, Call, Answer and Redial the Last Number for Iphone, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola and Other Mobile Phones with Bluetooth and NFC (black)
Offered by GRDE

5.0 out of 5 stars These Sound and Look Great - An Attractive Price, Too!, 17 April 2015
I am bowled over by the high quality of this headset; you'll have to hear it yourself to believe it. I am particularly impressed that the volume can get loud without loss of quality. I also like that I can easily control the volume and conveniently scan backwards or forwards in long tracks to get to favourite bits, as well as skip them altogether. An unexpected bonus was the quality of the packaging; first class, especially for this very reasonable price. I wouldn't buy these for bass, but they are awesome for great mids and treble.The package includes decorative rubber accents for the ear pieces, as well as USB lead. Highly recommended!

The Real... Dionne Warwick
The Real... Dionne Warwick

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Collection by Music's Queen of Song and Hearts, 13 April 2015
This is a fantastic collection of Dionne's best recordings for Arista, even though two huge hits are glaringly missing; That's What Friends Are For and No Night So Long. Thankfully, those tracks can be found on the alternative and equally appealing 3-CD Legends box set. Still, it would be an injustice to award less than 5 stars here, because this set is also packed full of high quality music, and shines for its inclusion of the entire totally brilliant Heartbreaker album, the awesome Greatest Hits Live Medley, and the delectable Love Will Find a Way; a little known duet with tragic late cousin Whitney Houston. I was lucky to work with both ladies on HIV/AIDS projects here in the UK in the 90s, as captured with amazing photos in the non-fiction book, God's Other Children: A London Memoir. Together with Princess Diana, both ladies provided love and support at a very dark and horrible time in our lives, and there is something of that love and hope in the music on this sterling collection. We are all survivors of sorts, but Miss Warwick is survivor supreme. Thank you Dionne, you heartmender, you!

Love is any song by Dionne Warwick. The lady and this collection are highly recommended - and don't forget to check out the book I mentioned. I guarantee that it will touch your soul like no other. It too can be found on Amazon.

PSYC Torre Bluetooth Tower Speaker Stand - 2.1 Bluetooth Portable Loud Speaker - Compatible with any bluetooth enabled devices - The Must Have and Must Own if you own a Bluetooth Device
Offered by Cables-4-less

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Box of Solid Sound, 6 April 2015
This is definitely a good buy, for under £24. Whether I'm listening to pop, disco, reggae or r n b, the speaker performed well, with the bass a particularly rewarding experience. The volume isn't ear-busting, but it can be boosted with Android apps such as Power Amp, but I doubt that you'll need it. The bluetooth range is very good, even through a wall. I am puzzled that there is no way of telling when the unit is fully charged. I'm also experiencing a slight buzzing noise when tethered via bluetooth and listening to audio. However, this is still a very worthwhile purchase of audio gadget trickery at a good price. On hearing its performance, a visiting friend immediately ordered one for himself. Says it all!

Best Days of My Life (Expanded Edition)
Best Days of My Life (Expanded Edition)
Offered by Silkysoul

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary Johnny Goes Disco - and It Works!, 5 Mar. 2015
Johnny very much goes disco on this excellent CD, and he does it very well indeed. Gone Gone Gone was a pop hit too. The entire CD has feel-good factor to it, and the bonus disco mixes reaffirm its dance floor appeal. I love it. Mr Mathis is a quality artist, and he's also a man of some integrity, with his decision to 'come out' as gay. Happy 80th birthday, good Sir, and thank you for the wonderful music.

Samsung ATIV Tab 3 10.1-inch Tablet - White (Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
Offered by Silicon Alley

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Five Stars, But Easily 4.5, 9 Feb. 2015
This cutie is now under £180 new if you know where to look, but first things first. This is a very capable tablet, but you MUST install ALL the Samsung and Windows software updates before use or you will run into avoidable problems, as detailed by other less happy reviewers. Once done, I further updated my Tab 3 to Windows 8.1, and while this took more patience than I thought I was capable of, it was well worth it in the end. My Tab now offers a very a buoyant 10.1 screen - my previous 8 inch Voyo proved too small for my word processing needs - 64GB of expandable storage, S-pen functionality, well placed stereo speakers (either side of the screen, making Netflix, You Tube, and Amazon Prime a BIG YES!!!), decent cameras with flash, full MS Office which won't seek a painful 70 quid fee in a year from now, very pleasing aesthetics, as well as being joyfully portable. Those are all major pluses. On the minus front, I initially had to concur with other reviewers who criticised the Ativ's processing performance, but things got much better after all the updates were installed. Also, the accessories are out there, but you really have to look for them - forget trying to find the official keyboard! Anyway, at this new lower price point, this tablet is a bit of an irresistible bargain. I really am very very happy with it, plus I get a certain confidence from the Samsung product name. The even cheaper Linx 10 is a strong contender at under 160 quid, although it has fewer bells and whistles and its Windows Office license runs out after a year. Another contender is the similarly priced Asus Vivo Tab LTE, but mine lasted just one day before it died an unexplained silent death, so I accepted a refund and bought my happy Sammy instead. While I can't give it five stars at present, this may change in the upwards direction in time. I certainly think it's better than the competition at the same price. All else aside, I am especially pleased that full Windows 8.1 tablets are dropping in price generally, and we can all celebrate that!

The Best Of Cerrone Productions
The Best Of Cerrone Productions

5.0 out of 5 stars "Je suis Cerrone!" A Euro Disco Giant at His Very Best!, 29 Jan. 2015
Cerrone is an original master of Euro Disco - second only to Giorgio Moroder. This double CD cleverly showcases his biggest hits and collaborations in heavily edited but still gloriously enjoyable form. There are 38 tracks on my copy, even though Amazon is only listing 34 for some unknown reason. A few are remixes - the original 7 inch edit of Love in C Minor, plus its stunning Dimitri remix, for example - but they complement rather than irritate, thankfully. Highlights are Supernature, the aforementioned Love in C Minor, Take Me, Got to Have Loving, You Are the One (with Jocelyn Brown on vocals), Standing in the Rain, Give Me Love, Look for Love, and Music of Life. If you are new to Cerrone, then I would urge you to treat your ears and feet to Love in C Minor in its original 16 minute glory, and the same with Supernature, which, incidentally, was recently updated in the form of the totally eargasmic 'Supernature Symphony' - bettering the original! This excellent collection should be seen as a happy sample of Cerrone's original, much longer club cuts, which are available elsewhere. He undoubtedly deserves a place in our throbbing 70s dance floor collections, alongside the likes of Moroder/Summer, Chic, Salsoul, and Gloria Gaynor. Yes, quality disco has survived! As for the oddly suggestive cover art; well this is Cerrone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2015 11:39 PM GMT

Brown Leather Laptop Travel Bag Case Cover Satchel for 13" inch Laptop (Macbook Air, Macbook PRO, Toshiba, Sony, Dell, Chrome Book, Ultra Book, HP)
Offered by Purplemoose007

5.0 out of 5 stars A Case Above the Rest., 24 Jan. 2015
This is one classy looking case which has been made with great attention to detail and with the end user in mind. It has lots of very helpful compartments for your bits and pieces, and everything fits just great. I was also impressed with the low price and grand packaging. Absolutely first class! Buy it without hesitation.

The Real... Billy Ocean
The Real... Billy Ocean

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Billy!, 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Real... Billy Ocean (Audio CD)
Every hit and worthwhile album track is included in this 3-CD Billy bargain box. Red Light Spells Danger, through to Suddenly, Caribbean Queen and everything else. If you are going to buy one collection by this excellent artist, then this is it. Highly recommended.

I Am What I Am
I Am What I Am

5.0 out of 5 stars She Is What She Is - the Godmother of Disco!, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: I Am What I Am (Audio CD)
I Am What I Am is a fantastic record and was a big Euro hit for Gloria back in 83/4. The other cuts on the album are worth having too, except, perhaps, Eeeny Meenie, which is a poor take on Donna's Unconditional Love hit. I've Been Watching You borrows from Luther Vandross mid-tempo tunes of the time. Only in a Love Song is an awesome ballad, which became a single in its own right. Strive, also a single, entered the UK charts and is a positive uplifting dancer, as is Bullseye and Chain of Whispers. For some unknown reason, this CD has been expanded with two tracks from Park Avenue Sound album, instead of the wealth of material from the original album, 'I Am Gloria Gaynor'. Potential content for a proper expansion includes: I Am What I Am (original, instrumental and 7inch,) Bullseye remix, Chain of Whispers remix, Strive 12inch and dub, More Than Enough alternate take. So let's hope Funky Grooves or Big Break Records decide to put out a real issue of this awesome album, but this release will have to do for now.

We love Gloria, our survivor supreme!

Legends
Legends
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A Special Collection by a Special Woman of Song and Hearts, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Legends (Audio CD)
Dionne treated us to countless musical gems in the 60s, but she was rather quiet during the disco dominated 70s. This brilliant collection captures the very best of her golden 80s comeback, courtesy of Arista Records - and at an obscenely affordable price, too! All the big hits are here in their infinite glory, such as Deja Vu, No Night So Long, That's What Friends Are For, I'll Never Love This Way Again, Heartbreaker, and Love Power etc, but there are many fabulous high quality album cuts too. As well as a unique talent, Dionne was also a commendable humanitarian, as captured - with pics - in the non-fiction book, God's Other Children: A London Memoir ( - also on Amazon). Get this CD collection and the book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12