Profile for Sandy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Florrie the Dummy Fairy
Florrie the Dummy Fairy
by Anthony J. Crosbie

1.0 out of 5 stars Great story idea, difficult to read, suitable for older children, 11 Feb. 2015
The basis of this story is great: the fairy dummy takes the dummy and makes it in to a star, albeit, offering a present in return. I think this book is aimed at older children than I was expecting as the boy in the story looks school age. This created a slight problem in the preamble I've been having with my 2 year old daughter as I've been telling her that she's getting too old for a dummy and am planning that by the time she's 2 and a half we'll be on our way to ditching it. The boy in the story is in a "big bed" so my daughter was a bit confused about why he had a dummy at all as I'd been prepping her that she's getting too big for a dummy.There are some good things about this book but a lots of things I don't like about this book, some of them practical, some of them personal (and arguably subjective).

The things I liked:
1. I really liked the way there was repetitive catchphrases that children could pick up
2. The dummy gets turned in to a star (kaboom! Great idea, after one reading, my toddler pointed to stars and said 'dummy')

The practical issues
1. The font is difficult to read and is quite small (it's in Footlight MT rather than something that's easier to read, like Arial or Helvetica)
2. On some pages the font is black on a coloured background and is difficult to read (with a bedside lamp on or in a tent with a torch).

The personal issues
1. I didn't like the poems at all. They might have been better for older children but I found them a bit tedious and found I had to skip them or paraphrase as my toddler lost interest, about 20 seconds before me
2. Once everything else had started to annoy me, the illustrations did as well. I mean, it's not that hard to maintain continuity in a book, so the fact that there are errors irritated my already frazzled nerves (Elliott goes to bed with socks on but then there aren't any socks on; he goes to sleep under the blue duvet, then his bare feet are sticking out of the bottom of the green and yellow rug. Why? Why? Why? Are you trying to tip me in to insanity?!!)
3. I think this book is trying to please everyone by covering a number of bases but this ends up making it feel a bit unnatural.

As a temporary fix I'm going to print out the text again, summarising it in simpler language. The long-term fix is to write my own.

Jolly Jumper Musical Crawling and Walking Mat
Jolly Jumper Musical Crawling and Walking Mat
Offered by baby cribs1

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, horribly executed., 29 Aug. 2014
I hate this. For a start, the volume is either loud or loud. I put a cushion over the speaker but my daughter was more interested in removing that and trying to move the buttons than using the mat. The first time she used it, the noise of it startled her. It's also no good for crawlers or new walkers because you have to stand on the footprints to use it. So, it's only worthwhile as a toy for a competent walker, which negates its purpose. You'd be better off getting a piano mat (in the style of the one Tom Hanks used in Big). Or better still, buying them a walker.

Treetop Tidings Fold and Mail
Treetop Tidings Fold and Mail
by Susie Ghahremani
Edition: Stationery

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous return to the art of letter writing, 26 Aug. 2014
I really love these, having bought them to use to correspond with my sister and a friend who emigrated. The pages do have lines on them, but they're not straight, which I imagine could get on some people's nerves. You only have the one side to write on them with as the back side is the back part of the envelope so you just need to bear in mind that they're smaller than an old aerogramme. However, such lovely designs that I've bought 3 more. I haven't had a storage problem mentioned by other people and ideally open letters sent on these with a knife to avoid ripping, but that's what you used to have to do with aerogrammes anyway.

Alphabet bags, cotton tote bags with long handles. Letter bags
Alphabet bags, cotton tote bags with long handles. Letter bags
Offered by Sugarushuk

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected but refunded promptly, 28 Feb. 2014
Bought this to us as a bag to put on child's nursery peg. Unfortunately, although the font was a lovely bright fuchsia pink, you could see the rest of the rectangle of transfer paper in the background so there was an ugly greeny background. A real shame as it wasn't what I expected or wanted. I just wanted the letter to be visible and no background. However, my money was refunded promptly and if the supplier improves the quality then this would be a fantastic product. The advantage this had over my usual go-to supplier for this sort of thing is that the font was so pretty and unusual so it was such a shame that it wasn't right.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2014 4:47 PM GMT

2014 Organised Mum Family Weekly Planner
2014 Organised Mum Family Weekly Planner

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer a month-to-view calendar, 14 Jan. 2014
This is a great product if you have lots of family members and activities to co-ordinate. Personally, I've found it difficult to use because it's heavy (being one page a week), it's large (so doesn't fit in my usual calendar spot) and I've discovered that I prefer a month-to-view calendar as it's easier to see at-a-glance what you're doing rather than rifling through 4 pages.

It does have a plastic over sheet which is great if you have lots of recurring appointments as this saves you constantly writing them in. Overall though, this is over-engineered for me and I need something simpler. As it is, I feel less organised than I did with my smaller calendar.

Tala Stainless Steel Crinkle Chip Cutter Blade
Tala Stainless Steel Crinkle Chip Cutter Blade

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 22 Aug. 2013
I didn't get the knife-style one pictured here but have found this a very good value product for helping my daughter grip food when she's being weaned.

The Tiger Who Came to Tea
The Tiger Who Came to Tea
by Judith Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this story, 22 Aug. 2013
This was my favourite story as a child and nothing's changed! The only thing I wish were different, and this is one for the publishers, is that they publish these in a smaller size (closer to A5 than A4) because they're much easier to put in a changing bag.

The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: Over 130 delicious recipes for the whole family to enjoy
by Gill Rapley

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference book, 22 Aug. 2013
There's a lot of repetition of the Baby Led Weaning book in here but if I was going to buy one or the other I'd get this one. It covers the principles of BLW and then has a lot of recipes. Granted, some of the recipes aren't rocket science but they are good for giving you ideas on what to feed your baby. It's probably a good book to leave lying around for relatives that don't understand why you aren't spoon feeding. Instead of explaining it to them you can just give them the book.

My Dad
My Dad
by Anthony Browne

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as My Mum, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: My Dad (Paperback)
It's nice - bought it for Father's Day - but I don't think the illustrations and story is as good as My Mum.

Maude: The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton
Maude: The Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton
by Lauren Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Great moral to the story, 5 Aug. 2013
This is a lovely book with a great moral about not being a noticebox. Lovely illustrations and really nice to read aloud.

Page: 1 | 2