Profile for Jackofswords > Reviews

Content by Jackofswords

Jackofswords

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
by Chris Kyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, A fine story about a man and ..., 10 April 2015
Easy reading, A fine story about a man and from a man I think I could have liked. A bit jerky in places and lacking information that might have given it more depth. I suppose he was handicapped by what he could and could not write? I'm sorry to say I didn't find his wife's comments added anything to the story. I didn't buy and read it for the human interest aspects. But I will certainly watch the film.

The Eagle of the Ninth (BBC Radio)
The Eagle of the Ninth (BBC Radio)
by Rosemary Sutcliff

2.0 out of 5 stars I can sum this story up in one word: ..., 10 April 2015
I can sum this story up in one word: "Boring" It was too short and the voices did no justice what-so-ever to the story. If there had been a 3rd CD I don't think I would have bothered to listen to it. Just another disapointment for me from the BBC.

Operation Mincemeat: The True Spy Story That Changed the Course of World War II
Operation Mincemeat: The True Spy Story That Changed the Course of World War II
by Ben Macintyre

3.0 out of 5 stars A great true story, 10 April 2015
A great true story, I was fasinated by the details. But therein lay the reason I only gave it 3 stars...There were too many details. The reader or ,more likely, the story kept going off at tangents. Making it sometimes quite hard to get back into the flow of the storyline. This whole plot could have been condenced into half as many CDs. Perhaps it would be better to have read it myself in book form? Sadly I also found the pitch of the readers voice did not do justice to the subject matter. This is, of course, only a personal opinion but the reader, John Lee, did not put the story across as interestingly as, for example, David Rintoul, in "An Officer And A Spy". The whole thing sounded to me, a bit like a sporting or racing commentary.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy
by Robert Harris
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great story. Well researched and very well read, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: An Officer and a Spy (Audio CD)
What a great story. Well researched and very well read. It confirmed many of my negative oppinions of France and the French. But I enjoyed listening to every minute. 1895-1900 were not such enlightened times as many would have us believe. The main character Picquart would seem to be the exception that proves the rule that the ruling class at that time in France had no honour or back bone and were basicly anti-semitic.

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - Complete Collection [DVD] [1980]
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - Complete Collection [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Paul Eddington

3.0 out of 5 stars It might have been funny in it's day but now I found the humour ..., 23 Jan. 2015
It might have been funny in it's day but now I found the humour old and dissapointingly shallow. It became a struggle for me to watch more than one eppisode without a break to do something else.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2016 10:37 PM BST

Dominion
Dominion
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best works of "what if, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dominion (Audio CD)
One of the best works of "what if..." fiction that I have read or heard in a long time. Many household names and events give it plausability, depth and colour. The reader even took the trouble to get the accents right. Perhaps the German accents were a bit overegged, but I speak as someone who has lived in Germany and amoung Germans.

Agincourt
Agincourt
by Bernard Cornwell
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars I love history in general and British history in particular, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Agincourt (Audio CD)
I love history in general and British history in particular. This audio book did not dissapoint me in the slightest.

Great Britain's Great War
Great Britain's Great War
by Jeremy Paxman
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting and some quite funny "tongue-in-cheek" comments, 23 Jan. 2015
Well researched, very interesting and some quite funny "tongue-in-cheek" comments. Plus a reading style that I found good to listen too.

Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars With a good choise of reader, 11 Dec. 2014
Another success for B Cornwall, With a good choise of reader. Very clearly and cleverly researched with believeable conclusions.

My Underground War: The True Story of how a Group of British Prisoners-of-War Fought Back against their Nazi Captors
by Albert Edward Clack

5.0 out of 5 stars but a good read. A small insite into another side of ..., 22 Aug. 2014
Short, but a good read. A small insite into another side of WWII.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3