Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for One Step ahead, Two Steps behind > Reviews

Content by One Step ahead...

One Step ahead, Two Steps behind

Captain America: Civil War  [Blu-ray] [2016]
Captain America: Civil War [Blu-ray] [2016]
Dvd ~ Chris Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars The best superhero movie this year without question and one of the best Marvel movies., 6 Sept. 2016
Don't let anyone say otherwise. This is an amazing movie that gets better and more layered with each viewing. Every character is great and it is truly astonishing that these characters are introduced so cleverly and their motivations are clear cut. The action is some of the best action in any movie for a while. This is what you want in a summer blockbuster and so much more. It has brilliant humour, yet it still manages to be emotional and dramatic in key moments. In fact this is the most serious and mature comic movie this year without sacrificing the heart of what makes a comic spirited film. This is the bench mark for ensemble movies which I highly doubt that the competition will ever do and trying way to hard to mimic. It just proves if you want a successful movie franchise, look at the source material and see why these characters are popular and then represent them on screen and people will love them for that. This is exactly why the X-Men movies are poor and drab and the recent DCEU films are poor. The Marvel movies are still more comic accurate without scarifying editing and the rich character development. This is why a Cinematic Universe exists to do a project like this but it still works as a singular movie. You can show this to anyone and they would enjoy it but you can't with the DC films and that's why this works even more so. I like this turn for the Marvel universe and how it will progress. This movie is also so much better than the poor comic that it is inspired by, which is pretty amazing. I am genuinely baffled that people want a page for page interpretation, that wouldn't work film making wise, see BvS for reference. Pure awesomeness.

Batman: Assault on Arkham
Batman: Assault on Arkham
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the Arkham universe, 3 Sept. 2016
I watched this before Suicide Squad and after watching that trainwreck, I appreciate this movie a lot more. Batman has more than a cameo, the Suicide Squad are set up fantastically without a 40 minute montage, Harley Quinn has an actual reason for being in the Squad and each character has a moment to shine without going to melodrama. These are bad guys and the movie makes you realise that, the jokes and character moments land a lot better and achieves so much in relatively short run time. The voice acting is great with the best being Harley Quinn, The Joker and Batman. If the film universe for DC is anything to go by its current state then I would say keep watching the animated stuff. If you want to watch a Wonder Woman film, watch the brilliant 2009 animated film which tells the origin, if you want the Justice League watch the animated series.

Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game 9/10, 3 Sept. 2016
If you haven't played the original or an old time fan, this game is great. The graphics are the best of the series and the gameplay is so polished, definitely uses the capabilities of the PS4. My only complaint with the story is that it focused a bit too much on the other characters and sometimes I didn't know who was who at times. However, everything involving Ratchet, Clank and Quark was great and most of the corny jokes and references that the series is on point. The story is only as good as the original. I hope after Spider Man, the developers focus on remaking the next two in the original trilogy. Another minor complaint I had with the game and this has been a since a Crack in Time is that it is a few hours shorter than the original series. There are one or two planets in the first game that I really would have liked to visit is this remake. On the other hand, whilst slightly easier than the original, it is still more challenging than other games in this genre currently. For this price, it is great that you can get so much content that triple A games do not provide. If want the No Man's Sky experience without getting bored, buy this, you'll be happier for it and save money. This is a fantastic gaming experience. If this is the last of these games I would be happy but I highly doubt that.

Jim Dunlop 47PXLS Stiffo XL Jazz Pick - Black (Pack of 6)
Jim Dunlop 47PXLS Stiffo XL Jazz Pick - Black (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for some great picks!!!, 23 Jan. 2016
Very great picks. One of the best heavy picks I've played with, great for the heavy, bluesy or jazzy music. It is also very easy to execute pinch harmonics with this pick and very sturdy.

The Order: 1886 (PS4)
The Order: 1886 (PS4)
Offered by Parkway Sales

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Gaphics does not equate into a Great Game., 21 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Order: 1886 (PS4) (Video Game)
What more can I say about this disappointing game that hasn't been said before. I picked up this when I just recently bought a PS4 on Christmas and thought the graphics, visuals and sound design would be a good tech demo for what the PS4 is capable of. I mean it is from a developer who has made some good games in the past albeit there were spin-offs for other studios. I supported this game when it was announced and the developer based on their previous games. I guess their previous games was directed by the IPs parent company. I so wanted this to become another franchise for Sony that will do just as well as Uncharted, The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank or LittleBigPlanet. But, this is a mess!

I'll start with the story. It is lackluster to say the least. The Order is divided into 16 chapters and a prologue and epilogue. Three of these chapters are long winded cutscenes that are very, very dull. Normally I wouldn't mind the long winded chapters in a game, especially when it has a good story, but The Order lacks any good story. It is full of cliches that at times it is unbearable. I can see plot twists coming from a mile, when I was playing this game there was no engagement from me to the story or the bland characters. The voice actors tried their best and basically did their jobs, but the script lacked any substance, character development or growth. Ready at Dawn and Sony were so confident of a sequel that they half-baked a story last minute. Even with cutscenes that seem to drag along for entirety, the plot moved at a snails pace, I've seen better pacing in one of those parody movies. And that completely sums up the story, it is a parody of things that work in other games and just put it together in a sorry attempt to make it work. To put insult to injury the ending leaves so many questions left unanswered because they were expecting a franchise from this game.

Secondly, the gameplay is very generic. Take any cover-based third person shooter ever. Other games also have some unique weapons as well so stuff like the arc-reactor didn't add much, little innovation here. In fact the gameplay, like the story, seems to put everything that is popular with gamers to the wall in hopes that it would work. When I heard about this game I expected to fight stuff like werewolves, vampires and other ghouls. But, no sadly in this I'm simply shooting poor people more than the Lycans. The AI is waaaay too simplistic, the Lycans and human enemies stay in one place. The hardest enemy-type in the game are not the Lycans but the heavily armoured shotgunners who keep on charging you downand take way too many bullets unless you use the slow motion thing that every other TPS has done in the past. Wait there's more, RAD managed to fit in stealth in the game, it is so great and very intuitive. NOPE! Why are the stealth element in this game a timing context command, that makes no sense. There was a section where there was an instant restart if not done stealthily for some reason. Other non-stealth games in comparison have infinitely better stealth. I am to believe a Victorian Tom Selleck who has a magic potion that heals him can withstand a sniper during gun combat but not a guard who spots him when he wasn't moving with a much smaller weapon. What?
What else can make this worse. Oh I know QTEs - every gamer likes them, no to be honest they can work if done well, but in most times they were done so we weren't dozing off in the cutscenes. And the two exact same boss battles rely on these QTEs, you know because such innovative gameplay such wow. And the final cherry on the cake is the short length of actual gameplay. You can finish this game in a weekend without trying or committing too many hours in this.

That's my main gripe with The Order 1886. It is not what I expected, especially since it was developed for 5 years and by an inspiring and upcoming studio. Even the amazing visuals and graphics have taken a toll, it looks amazing and one of the best games on console so far. But, what is the point of the black bars, the filters and the 30FPS. If black bars is your main selling point then something is definitely wrong. However, I find this to be a nitpick because after a while I did not notice it and the game did in fact look amazing. Conversely, graphics ARE NOT everything and The Order with its poor story and generic gameplay shows that. Some of the chapters were just walking bits and nothing more. Other times the directive was to look around. WE get it your game looks amazing, stop it RAD.

I had such high hopes for this; not a good start for the next gen console for me. However, considering the price I got this at, I am not that overly fussed about it. It is a good tech demo after all. I'm not a game designer, but this game shows what they could have done and missed opportunities to improve it. If only they didn't rely on QTEs, had longer chapters, better or no stealth, hire an actual story writer, better AI, multiplayer and a longer length. There is no replay value unless you are trophy hunting. Is it too much to ask for in a game irregardless of the price in 2015/16. I have my money on that the new Ratchet & Clank will have a longer length and much better gameplay, with a better price than The Order was at when it was released. I dunno, I'll guess I'll put this in my gaming shelf to collect dust and will do so by pressing square.

The Jak and Daxter Trilogy (PS3)
The Jak and Daxter Trilogy (PS3)
Offered by Bonisell

5.0 out of 5 stars Jak and Daxter HD Collection, 17 Mar. 2012
Wonderful game. Nice story with a decent narrative with fun characters providing brilliant humour, excellent gameplay (combining racing, third person shooter, at times first person shooting, wonderful minigames and of course the basic 3D platforming). The developers behind this are the same people who made other masterful video games such as Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted. Since Naughty Dog's games are mainly story-based then the trophies reflect this so I feel I must talk about the game and the story.

Before buying this, I haven't played the original Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - and after it I can see how this wonderful trilogy by Naughty Dog came to light. The first game has not converted as well as the other games in the series. It is still a fun and kid-friendly video game with cool collectibles and the trophies reflect this.

Jak 2: Renegade is fantastic, the platforming is more diverse and the plot is stronger in this game (I dare you to count the number of cutscenes or the time in minutes of these cutscenes). The HD is fantastic, there is no distinction that this game was made roughly a decade ago. But, it is much easier than I seem to remember, its probably me so I am going to ignore this.

Jak 3. This is not possible. How has Naughty Dog improved upon Jak 2. The plot and narrative are much tighter with more diverse gameplay (racing, Light Jak and guns). It has less missions than the previous installment, therefore less hours of gameplay but I guess the writers couldn't extend the trilogy any more. The visuals are great with many environments to visit beyond the walls of Haven City.

What I would have loved in this collection more than anything is Jak X - Combat Racing (since I do not own this game, didn't have much money back then). It could have worked quite well for the PS3 supplied with a respectable online mode. However, this is still the best video game for the PS2 brought into the world of the new audience and of course old school fans. Now, Naughty Dog make Jak 4 please.

Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Torchwood - Miracle Day (Series 4) [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Eve Myles

2.0 out of 5 stars "Let's make Series 1-3 pointless" by Russell T Davies, 20 Nov. 2011
Russell T Davies confirmed in an interview that a prospect of Series 5 is bleak. Firstly I thought Miracle Day was average with some near masterful stories but upon hearing this the whole series is pointless. The fact that this Series may be the last I blew my temper. It is literally a 3 hour story expanded into 10 pointless hours were nothing is developed, characters are stock and acting is uninspired (with the exception of Barrowman, Myles and Owen).

I usually don't complain about some characters being underplayed or pushed to the side when others characters are being developed, but a series almost full of boring and dull characters who I wanted them to die or did not care about them is well to put it simply just painful to watch. Captain Jack was the main focus of the story arc but he was underplayed most of the series, with the exception of one story which was the only story with hope for this dying Series (An Immortal Sins) where Jack's history was under focus minus some plot holish issues which is a common occurrence for Miracle Day with its parent show's continuity.

Most of the character development is contradictory, there is no sense of scale in terms of the grand scheme of things and how it will fit together in the end because of equally contradictory villains who the writers are not going to answer what their motive is? Or who are they're working for? The series is solved with a somewhat unbelievable cop out which does not make sense as the character arcs are not fulfilled and totally ruins what was set up in Doctor Who a few series finales ago.

Well amongst all those negatives, there are some positives. Good acting by Barrowman et al (previous cast), high production values and CGI. I'd only wished that John Barrowman wasn't busy with this utterly rubbish project so that he could have appeared in something a hundred times better in A Good Man Goes To War in Doctor Who alongside Smith. Oh well, maybe next Series...