Profile for Koektok > Reviews

Koektok "Cloggy" (Holland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Weekend Transition
Weekend Transition

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately, for reasons I shall not dwell upon here, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Weekend Transition (Audio CD)
I saw this band perform, briefly, on a TV show a short while ago. They sang one song and I wasn't too impressed.
Fortunately, for reasons I shall not dwell upon here, I became owner of this LP. I listenen to all songs, then I did that again and then - again - for a third time.
Certain things 'grow' on you.
This album certainly did and I love it. There are fast songs, slow-ish songs and a ballad. Goor lyrics, zippy drumming and very pleasing to listen to.

Which band they remind me of? Dunno, maybe early Cream or Yes???

PS:that 1 song is (obviously) on this LP and sounds, in context, far better now...

Babylon By Bus
Babylon By Bus

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Babylon By Bus (Audio CD)
Deserve the 5 stars as the cd lived up to all my expectations. I was googled best BM live album and this was it. Arrived rapidly, love listening to the cd and the price was right!

Chavasse, Double VC
Chavasse, Double VC
by Ann Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moved., 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Chavasse, Double VC (Paperback)
I can not add much to the previous three reviews. This is, without any doubt whatsoever, an absolute classic book on this very brave and interesting man. I have visited his grave a while ago, and will pay my respects the next time I return to Ieper.
I will also endeavour to locate the farm where he received his last, fatal wound.
I would thoroughly recommend this book to everyone. It has so many appeals: the war story, the medical/RAMC/Liverpool Scottish story, the twins/school/sports story, the Liverpool connection story, the trench stories, the love story, the faith aspect and last, but by no means least, the man himself.
What a great bloke!
I put the book down a few times. The bit that really got me, was the comment (a letter sent to Noel's brother Bernard) of the author: "this was the last leter Noel ever wrote".
You know then, that within a few pages, this remarkable man is to die.
A great book amd thank you, Ann Clayton, for writing it!

West Ham United F.C. Mug St George
West Ham United F.C. Mug St George
Offered by Beautifeye

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 13 May 2012
Just as I would expect:
a proper mug, fit for a proper cuppa. Nothing wrong with it, whatsoever. Lively and true colours, the crest is very visible, the St. George's cross give it that something 'extra' and the delivery was swift.
And, for the lefties, no probs: the Hammers crest is on both sides of the mug!

Theirs Is The Glory [DVD]
Theirs Is The Glory [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Maxted
Offered by somethinginmyeye

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Theirs Is The Glory [DVD] (DVD)
For all people who have an interest in what happened during September 1944 in Oosterbeek, Arnhem, Renkum and Wolfheze, I have one word of advice:
buy this film.
Watch it, think about the changed lives of all those poor boys, Allied as well as Germans, and then add a sprinkling of understanding of the level of terrific hardships the Dutch population endured, think about the fatalities and bereavements, think of all the bravery and reflect!
Two things make this film very special: the fact that the actors are the actual soldiers and the final scene, in the Nissan hut.

Hill 60: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
Hill 60: Ypres (Battleground Europe)
by Nigel Cave

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading!, 25 Oct. 2011
I got this book after I had visited the battlefields surrounding Hill 60.
Before my trip to Ieper, I had read other books about the titanic struggle, bought a good map, read up on the various WW 1 fora on internet and thought I was jolly well prepared.
Wrong!
Nigel Cave has written a very clear book which covers nearly anything even remotely connected to the fighting around, and UNDER, Hill 60.
His walks are very interesting and refer back, dove-and-tail like, to his writings concerning the various activities that took place there. The walks are not too hard, actually they are very easy walks but a lot of the time is taken up photographing and refering to notes on such walks!
Take along good walking boots and a decent jacket!!!!
I warmly reccomend this book and I also very warmly recommend all to go and visit this very, very special and thought-provoking spot.
Hurry, because the blinking house builders are busy blocking the view of Ieper, from Hill 60, trench 38's location.
For really detailed writings about "The Tunnellers", there are other, more specialised books, but Nigel Cave's book is a very good place to start.

OFFICIAL WEST HAM UNITED THREE CREST MUG.
OFFICIAL WEST HAM UNITED THREE CREST MUG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luvvly Cuppa, 2 Oct. 2011
Got two of these for my cousins in Amsterdam. Arrived very quickly, neatly wrapped and the boys are well chuffed.
Well done!

100 Cars Britain Can Be Proud Of
100 Cars Britain Can Be Proud Of
by Giles Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I expected!, 2 Oct. 2011
Bought this booklet for a mate who had lent me one of his MG's for a weekend. The least one could do, not?
He was just off on a short trip east and was very glad. He spent a lot of time, immediately after opening the wrapper, flicking through the pages and finding all sorts of 'fond memories' and 'I wish I could afford thats'.
He also found lots of time to sit down and enjoy a quiet moment with some lo vely cars.
An excellent way of enjoying British carbuilding, a period of time when we had something to be pround about.

Winter
Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Winter (MP3 Download)
Saw/listened to these two guys last Saturday @ Shoreditch Fest.
Very good. Enjoyed it a lot, even an old crow like me!
Keep up the good work, chaps...

Colditz: Oflag IV-C (Fortress)
Colditz: Oflag IV-C (Fortress)
by Michael McNally

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...., 11 July 2011
Having just retreaved this book from the book-case, I am again disappointed by the quality of the cover.
I have been buying Osprey books since 1977 and never have I held such a flimsy, floppy book in my hands yet! What is it? It isn't a paperback, is it the result of some international shortage of quality cardboard to stiffen up the outward appearance of a book?
Hence my 3 star rating, nothing wrong with the book itself, at all.
The content of this book is fine. I visited Colditz in 1994 and I am very glad that the authorities have decided to do something about the toutist appeal concerning Schloss Colditz. In 1994 it was a dump, literally. Good thing was that you could roam about the place without troublesome guides, or whatever, to curtail your curiosity.
It is a beautiful place and full of exciting, and moving, stories, to bore your grandchildren with. I am glad the author introduced the castle to us, the temptation to rush into WW2 is great, of course.
The maps, drawings, photo's and content itself is great. Very clear, a little brief (but, it is an Osprey book with a limited ammount of pages) and it holds all the right stories. Limited space, for instance, doesn't do justice to the huge ammount of work done by the non-Brits and a little more about the Goons.
If nothing else, it should give the new-comer to Colditz sufficient appetite to get stuck into this place-of-places! I thought it was well worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3