Profile for MizLiz > Reviews

MizLiz

The Art of Love
The Art of Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Art of Love (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually read romance novels but I found this instantly engaging.

The set up is quickly established of a woman seeking a 'plus one' to her sister's wedding and scene by scene we are lead through her haphazard life to what may come as a surprising conclusion.

The style is upbeat and the settings and characters are well-drawn.

As a fan of Sex and the City, I can't help wishing that Candace Bushnell's novel was as well-written as this one.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars The most powerful novel I've ever read, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I don't know if I hate or love this novel. Since I've finished reading it, I can't stop crying every time I think of the lyric 'you can stand under my umbrella'. Would I have let Krystal under my umbrella? Would I have helped Robbie or walked past, seeing only the dirt and chocolate stains? This book has made me hold up a mirror to my own soul and I'm not sure if I like what I find there.

I put off reading this novel for ages because of the down-beat title, my love of Harry Potter and the mixed critical response but it is easily the most hard-hitting, psychologically-insightful book I've ever read.

JK, you are a genius. Harry Potter was good. This is mind-blowing.

A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons: Part 2 After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R.R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough with the new characters, 21 July 2012
Up until recently I was really enjoying this series but I have now started to miss out chunks. I love Tyrion, Daenerys, Jaime, Brienne, Bran, Jon, Sam, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Cersei and I am at least fond of another ten, but this is getting ridiculous. How can Martin abandon his best characters for whole books at a time?

OK, I know that there are a lot of fans on here, but imagine this series focussed on the Starks, The Wall, The Lannisters and Dany with far fewer characters and sub-plots. Wouldn't that be a far more powerful dynamic and ultimately much more satisfying?

I think I am done with this series. I was hoping for another great moment in the genre (such as my favourite - David Gemmel's Troy Series) but I've had enough now.

I think that I will always remember Tyrion as one of the greatest characters ever created but, aside from that, I think my most enduring impression will be that this could have been a great series if only it's had a great editor.

Damage
Damage
by Josephine Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Amazing, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Damage (Paperback)
I think this book is almost perfect. I loved the anarchic erotic utopia that the narrator and Anna created, contrasting with what most people would see as an idyllicly wealthy and successful family life.

The brief meeting in a Paris side-street with the detail of the yellow panties; the ribbons wrapping round Anna's mouth; the narrator's confusion as to what actually comprised a sexual union (because he was so overwhelmed by his sexual obsession and sudden solitude)- these moments are written with delicacy and power.

My only problem with the book is the ending. I can see that Anna would be upset about the death of the son but I found the father's reaction a little off balance with the rest of the narrative. Previously, he seemed to have absolutely no interest in his son, only viewing him as a rival. It seemed to me that he should have been a little bit gladder and more hopeful and would in no way have accepted that this would be an end for him and Anna.

Just a personal preference - but I'd like the end of the book to have become darker and more passionate, not more ordinary, quieter and sensible.

Still - I would highly recommend it to anyone who indulges in the darker side of literature.