Profile for Steph > Reviews

The Bright Stuff: Playful Ways to Nurture Your Child's Extraordinary Mind
The Bright Stuff: Playful Ways to Nurture Your Child's Extraordinary Mind
by C.J. Simister

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic book!, 27 Nov. 2009
This book is great. It's not filled with academic jargon like some parenting books nor is it preachy or judgemental like others. The author clearly sets out what she's trying to do and presents it in a very accessible and readable way.

The main idea behind the book is that while school is generally about the acquisition of facts and knowledge, children also need to be able to think independently and creatively to enjoy a successful life. The author explains all this and then explains a series of games you can play with your child, designed to help them develop these skills and learn good thinking habits.

The games are wonderful, I have tried some on my 6 year old and we have both had a great time playing them - she doesn't even realise she's exercising her brain, she thinks we're just having fun together, which of course we are. Not all the games are suitable for her at the moment, as the book is aimed at children from 4 to 16, but that just means that we should get good value out of it over the years!

What I thought was particularly good about the games was that they were actually do-able, other books I've seen have what look like good suggestions but turn out to be impossible to put into practice. These ones actually work, how wonderful.