Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for A. Lavan > Reviews

Content by A. Lavan

A. Lavan "brummie-girl" (London)

Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
Celebrate: A year of British festivities for families and friends
by Pippa Middleton

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, 15 Nov. 2012
than follow any of this. Could this be any more cliched ? Would anyone buy this if she was a normal person ? I think not.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 8:03 PM GMT

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn
by Betty Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars a life affirming read, 6 Nov. 2009
I first read 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' when I was 15. My father was given it by one of his many drinking buddies and brought it home with him. He gave it to me as I was an avid reader and would pretty much read anything I could lay my hands on (even a random book like this one seemed) Little did I know the effect this novel would have on me. It is one of the most memorable and moving books that I have ever read.

I have read it at least six times since that first time. I read it when I need to feel inspired and to be reassured at the resilience, bravery and beauty of the human spirit. It is beautifully written but at the same time immensely readable. Francie is a most extraordinary child - her relationships with her mother and father in particular are moving and real. When I've recommended it to others though I have found it hard to explain why it is so special - it doesn't have a tightly drawn plot - it is really all about characterisation and emotion whilst remaining as hard to put down as a thriller. I guess what I'm saying is it is a novel that is hard to categorise which makes it all the more special.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2014 11:40 PM GMT