Profile for Martin Corley > Reviews

Martin Corley

Woman in Black [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Woman in Black [DVD] [1989] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Super scary and super fun film!, 20 Jan. 2012
I was looking up a film I saw called "The Lady in White", but as I was typing, another option came up, "The Woman in Black". So, naturally, I got curious. I read the description of the film and I knew this was the film to have for Halloween (despite other people watching it at Christmas, for some reason)!

When it came, RRRIIIPPP, went the packaging and the DVD was shoved into the player.
I curled up with a bowl of popcorn and soaked it all in.

It is a truly frightening and disturbing film, but I have to say, it didn't give me nightmares for some reason. But, it was a while before I had enough courage to watch it again.

The quality isn't the best (it being an 80s TV movie), but not so much as to distract you from the story.

Buy this film by all means, but don't watch it alone at night! Mwa-ha-ha!!!

The Brides Of Dracula [DVD] [1960]
The Brides Of Dracula [DVD] [1960]
Dvd ~ Martita Hunt
Offered by angel_bookstore

4.0 out of 5 stars Just be grateful!, 1 Nov. 2011
This movie is utterly brilliant. The colours are lush, the sets look like they're from a large budget film and the actors excel themselves, especially Peter Cushing. Of course, Dracula's absence makes the title a little counfusing, but when the movies starts you soon forget about that. Some people have said that it has no extras, but they are wrong. It (at least my DVD does) has a trailer, a trailer for 'The Evil of Frankenstein'and a photo gallery. Some people have said that it is in the wrong ratio. All I have to say to THEM is, JUST BE GRATEFUL THAT IT HAS BEEN RELEASED IN REGION 2 AT ALL! If you want to get the Region 1 release, do so - but you'll need to get a region free DVD player. And a DACENT one is expensive! Anyway, if you ARE a true Hammer fan, you won't care, you can see enough!

Scared To Death [1947] [DVD]
Scared To Death [1947] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bela Lugosi

4.0 out of 5 stars The best DVD of this movie, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Scared To Death [1947] [DVD] (DVD)
It is very easy to get a copy of this movie, but this is the best. It could still do with restoring but it is the best avalible copy at the moment, so get this until a better edition is released.

The Innocents [1961] [DVD]
The Innocents [1961] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Deborah Kerr
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Do They Ever Return To Posess The Living?, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Innocents [1961] [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD for Halloween, having seen a clip of it on YouTube, but nothing, NOTHING, could have prepared me for what I saw. The photography, the architecture, the eerily spooky landscape and the emotional acting all add up to one of the most terryifing horror movies ever made. And the print of the film used is crisp, so the movie is all the more scary. Deborah Kerr (known for 'The king and I') gives one of her greatest performances as the emotionally repressed governess who is charged with two children, but becomes aware of unusual and terryifing happenings. It is truly a film you will never forget.

Cleopatra (3 Disc Special Edition) [1963] [DVD]
Cleopatra (3 Disc Special Edition) [1963] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elizabeth Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 18 Jun. 2011
I saw this film with my sister a couple of times on TV, so I bought the 3 Disc edition on eBay and the quality was amazing. I was too young to appreciate it when I was young, but now i do. The film itself needs no review, because it is wonderful and Elizabetn taylor was brilliant actress. I was deeply shocked and sad when i heard of her death. That day I took out this movie and sometimes cried when she was on-screen. She wasn't taken sirously as an actress because of her beauty, but she was one of the best. This DVD also has lots of special features to kepp you entertained for hours. You won't regret it.

House on Haunted Hill (Digitally remastered in colour) [DVD] [1959]
House on Haunted Hill (Digitally remastered in colour) [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Vincent Price
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Jun. 2011
I saw this film a couple of times before and I wanted to get it on DVD. But, after reading the reviews of other public domain copies I decided to go for the Legend Films release. I got it in the Horror Icons boxset, which is worth buying because you also get three other films. The is DVD has the best image quality available and the colour brings a new dimension to it. if you don't like colorization, just fiddle with the control and you can watch it in black and white. But, give the colour a chance, you'll be glad you did.

Death on the Nile: A Poirot Story
Death on the Nile: A Poirot Story
by Agatha Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 12 May 2011
I bought this after seeing the film on Tv and the book is even better! You can really visualize the Karnak steamer floating down the nile, the ancient temples and the hot sand. Agatha Christie is the best writer of crime ever! And if you want to buy this book, then buy this edition! It's a fascimile of the original! And it feels like the original! Buy it!

Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot)
Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot)
by Agatha Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 May 2011
I have been a fan of Agatha Christie ever since I saw "Death on the Nile" on TV. I bought this fascimile edition of "Murder on the Orient Express" with the fascimile edition of "Death on thye Nile", and I have to say... they are wonderful! It feels like you are holding a first edition! It even has an ad for the Crime Club, with the enrolment voucher! Even the faded letters! And the story was very inventive, with a VERY surpsising ending! Read the book before you see the film! And buy this edition!

The Neverending Story
The Neverending Story
by Michael Ende

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 13 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Neverending Story (Hardcover)
I have always loved the Neverending Story film, ever since I was small. I started getting curious and found out that it was book before it was a movie. I didn't want to get a paperback, beacause I thought it wouldn't last. So, I got a hardcover. When it came I was stunned! The text is in two colours, purple and green, the green for Fantastica, the purple for the real world. As i was drawn into the story I realised, that although the film was excellent, this book is fantastic! And the film was only an adaptation of the first half of the book! At the start of each chapter there is a full page picture in two colours, with the first letter in a big, ornate design.

I reccomend this book to everyone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2011 2:03 AM BST