Profile for Bev > Reviews

The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!, 3 Nov. 2011
I have read this book to both my children when they were studying World War 2 at school. They both loved it. I loved it both times and cried both times. It is a wonderful story about an extraordinary time, some ordinary people and the beautiful journey they take across 60 years. Thank you, Mr Morpurgo.

2012 Engagement Calendar: Anne Taintor
2012 Engagement Calendar: Anne Taintor
by Anne Taintor
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 29 Sept. 2011
Anne Taintor's theme is 'making smart people laugh' well, I like to think of myself as smart(ish) and I certainly did laugh!! With a new picture every week it shall make my 2012 a sunnier place.

Billy the Kid
Billy the Kid
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful!, 29 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Billy the Kid (Paperback)
Have just finished reading this to my 8 year old son who is studying World War 2 this term. I sobbed my way through the final third of the book - as I do with most of Michael Morpurgo's books. A perfect read and a perfect introduction for some of the more terrible events of the last century which cannot be ignored, however painful they are to address with your own children.

Between Shades Of Gray
Between Shades Of Gray
by Ruta Sepetys

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible History, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Between Shades Of Gray (Paperback)
I bought this for my teenage daughter but have read it before her. It is a harrowing, fascinating look at a part of history I know very little about. I've warned her that it's a real Horrible History but without the funny bits. Highly recommended.

Rebecca's Tale
Rebecca's Tale
by Sally Beauman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good try!, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Rebecca's Tale (Paperback)
Good try but 'Wide Sargasso Sea' it isn't. If this is meant to be a feminist/Freudian take on Rebecca (one of my favourite books) then it certainly makes you think; why was Rebecca the monster du Maurier portrays, is stuffy old Max as much to blame as anyone, what about Rebecca's past - how much did it damage her, and what about Maxim's past? And so on but it doesn't really answer any of them in a satisfactory way. Feminist/Freudian rereadings are all very worthy and well meaning but, let's be honest, the original gothic creations are so much more fun!