Profile for M. Bobbe > Reviews

Content by M. Bobbe

M. Bobbe (The Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mecki Mark Men
Mecki Mark Men
Offered by lpcdreissuesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what 60s underground sounded like in the clubs !, 16 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Mecki Mark Men (Audio CD)
All the sounds I heard growing up in the clubs of Amsterdam ( Holland ) in the 60s are there. It took over 45 years between the time I first heard Get Up played on dutch Underground radio ( and thankfully had my tapedeck running ) before I could lay my hands on the album. And believe you me I'm a regular visitor of second-hand music stores but I never ever held the original vinyl in my hand, it's that rare.

If you ever wanted to have a time capsule to return you to the smokey atmos and the liquid light shows of your youth, look no further: This is it !

The Sovereign Self
The Sovereign Self

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Sovereign Self (Audio CD)
The best album of 2015 in my book. Heard lots of psych advertised bands over the years but this is the first band in years and years that actually delivers. It's nothing but amazing this LP was recorded when it was because, atmos wise, it really throws me back to the Amsterdam clubs I used to visit in the late 60s.

Runnin' Blue
Runnin' Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars What Can I Say - Fans Only ?!, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Runnin' Blue (Audio CD)
This album was recorded pre-What Can I Say obviously. It should be of interest to his early fans though.

With 9 songs from the then new album Slow Dancer, 2 songs each from the Boz Scaggs & Band and My Time albums, 3 songs from Moments and 1 from his 1969 debut LP presented in a live setting, this CD gives a good cross section of his career up to that point, being 1974.

The CD sounds like a reasonably good bootleg. The sound quality is upto par for a soundboard- or broadcast recording, it's defenitely NOT a regular live album, hence my "fans only" remark. However, the performances of especially the Slow Dancer songs here are so much more soulful than on the studio recordings that it could be of interest of some not so much die hards too ...

The Essential Recordings
The Essential Recordings

3.0 out of 5 stars Today's Teardrop, 12 May 2014
A nice enough collection of Ricky's Imperial ( and some Verve ) recordings. The remastering favours the high-end which can be somewhat annoying when percussion is used on the songs. Otherwise good value for money if you'd like to hear something more then the usual hits. Only minor gripe is that I would have opted for some more early rock-a-billy tunes like Shirley Lee and If You Can't Rock Me instead of re-arranged chestnuts like Yes Sir, That's My Baby.

Love Can Change Everything Dem
Love Can Change Everything Dem
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Go Back !, 28 Aug. 2013
Over the 24 tracks starting in 1967, when he was signed by Curt Boettcher¡¦s Mee-Moo Publishing, you can hear the budding young songwriter maturing and hear him grow from a quite timid singer & strummer to a self-confident singer and a more than adequate guitarist. If there were a special catagory for demos CDs this one would get the full *****

If you ever needed proof of Michael Fennelly¡¦s talent, just listen to the 8 tracks that ended up on Crabby Appleton¡¦s s/t debut and hear the arrangements all but fully formed, merely played on a Gibson 12-string with multi-tracked vocals and the occasional extra guitar dubbed-in.

Michael Fennelly¡¦s the real deal. What a waste that, after the demise of Crabby Appleton, he never got the opportunity to develop his skills beyond his 2 solo albums: Lane Changer ( the last 4 tracks here are demos for that album ) & Stranger¡¦s Bed . And we are waiting way too long already for someone to release those 2 albums on CD, preferable on a 2fer of course.

The tracklisting:

1. Try to Understand (2:28)
2. I Couldn't Find the Words (3:09)
3. I Don't Think That I'll See That Time Again (1:56)
4. I've Been Found (3:18)
5. Dancing Dandelions (2:12)
6. Breakdown (2:24)
7. Iris Please (3:37)
8. Love Can Change Everything (2:47)
9. Leanna (3:44)
10. Don't Need a Map (2:13)
11. Under the Trees and Moonlight (2:12)
12. Hunger for Love (3:45)
13. The Other Side (2:44)
14. Some Madness (2:26)
15. Peace by Peace (3:31)
16. How Long Will It Take (2:16)
17. Can't Live My Life Without You (2:22)
18. Never Met a Girl (2:27)
19. Go Back (3:23)
20. Try (2:20)
21. Over My Dead Body (2:32)
22. You're a Good Girl (2:40)
23. Dark Night (2:49)
24. Flyer (2:47)

Electric Music For The Mind And Body
Electric Music For The Mind And Body

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying High, 23 April 2013
The 2013 reissue is a treasure ! Not only Sam Charters' original Stereo mix was restored but the remastering is absolutely breathtaking. Where I found the ol' vinyl often sounded tinny, this RI has a real bottom end through which the interplay between bassist Bruce Barthol and drummer "Chicken" Hirsch finally makes sense. The production as a whole sounds much more well rounded and more akin to the way the I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die album sounds. Where I've always been more fond of the latter ( it was one of my very first underground albums ) I feel my allegiance will probably shift to Electric Music due to this release.

I'll regard the MONO disc as a bonus as its mix is rather crude and makes you feel you've landed in the middle of a band practicing. The ending of Death Sound Blues has been cut off rather carelessly, like someone cut off some seconds by mistake.

The stereo mix alone is worth the price of admission for this 2CD though, it's stellar !

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 6:03 AM BST

Seven Bridges Road
Seven Bridges Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Gem Finally Done Proud, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Seven Bridges Road (Audio CD)
I noticed there's no tracklisting here for the Beatball reissue of this lost gem. One might ask: Which gem because it has been released by 3 different inprints between 1972 and 1981, each with different tracklistings.

The last of these 3, the 1981 Rounder reissue, was the most succesful
commercialy. The Beatball reissue starts off with the tracks from that release
and follows them up with all the remaining tracks from the other 2 issues plus a couple of songs that were released on 45s only previously:

1.Seven Bridges Road ('81 New Recording)
2.Montgomery In The Rain
13.Many Rivers
14.Come Sit By My Side
15.True Note
16.I Can't Hold Myself In Line
17.Crash On The Levy (Ry Cooder : Eiectric Guitar, Acoustic Bottleneck Guitar)
18.The White Trash Song (L.A. version)
19.The White Trash Song (Nashiville version)
20.The White Trash Song (New Mexico version)
21.Seven Bridges Road (Original Recording)

It's a real treasure trove and if you're interested in Young's output, this is the place to start !

Paul Weller - Live - Two Classic Performances [DVD] [2002] [1992]
Paul Weller - Live - Two Classic Performances [DVD] [2002] [1992]
Dvd ~ Jools Holland
Offered by Hatherley's

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Music Hampered By Director On Coffe-Binge, 12 July 2010
I got this DVD for the Hyde Park performance, the acoustic "Later" set is beautiful but Weller does his best work in front of his band IMHO. The Hyde Park gig is brilliant where the music is concerned, but the video director fails to capture the magic. He flits from shot to shot in a staggering pace, 2 seconds per shot are no exception, that will hardly give you the time to focus. Wide shots from the concert area are interspersed with super-close-ups of the band keeping you off your feet for most of the concert. Maybe I'm getting too old, you tell me, but I prefer my concerts directed in a way that makes me feel like I'm on stage with the artists.

And excuse me dear people at Amazon but what the **** has 1992 to do with this DVD ?

Juppanese
Juppanese

4.0 out of 5 stars No You'll Never Get Me Up, 21 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Juppanese (Audio CD)
It's the standard reply I've "borrowed" from Mickey Jupp whenever someone asks me to take a plane. Juppanese was his 1st solo album and it's somewhat more mellow than his previous albums with Legend. What a pity Nick Lowe didn't produce the whole of the album because the Gary Brooker produced tracks are a bit too laid back to my taste. Having said that I must admit it's a more than fair album still. My only regret with this remastered version is that the Mickey Jupp Band tapes aren't included with the bonus tracks. Those tapes were recorded with his big band a year or so prior to Juppanese and included an embroyonic version of Ol' Rock & Roller ( then called Ol' New Orleans ) and his original version of Down To The Doctor's ( made famous by Dr Feelgood ).

And indeed could somebody please put up the Juppanse tracklisting instead of the Beck Bogert & Appice album which is on display now ? Thanks !

Dusty Springfield: Live At The BBC [DVD] [2007]
Dusty Springfield: Live At The BBC [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Dusty Springfield
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars A Labour Of Love, 18 Oct. 2007
Of course this DVD is a must-have for any Dusty fan, but I have to say the sound on this DVD is a bit disappointing. Basically it is what you can expect of over 40 years old TV recordings, but on the Simply Dusty box Wayfaring Stranger, a song from the eldest show on this DVD, sounds much, much better so why hasn't the audio been upgraded in a simular way for this compilation ?

Otherwise nothing but cudo's for those who produced this DVD, it's a labour of love for sure !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3