Profile for Lozatron > Reviews

Content by Lozatron

Lozatron (West London)

Convergent Space
Convergent Space

3.0 out of 5 stars Space opera yes - but what happened to the last 20 years of scifi?, 27 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Convergent Space (Kindle Edition)
Expansive space opera with a very grand vision and some interesting ideas...*but*

No such thing as special relativity? Faster than light travel seems to be happening all the time without anyone commenting on it...
All the aliens speak English - except when we want to show they're different
Hundreds of alien races who seem to have no problem breathing each others' air - again, with no comment

Interesting and probably worth reading if you've got time on your hands - but if I were able to stop reading a book I've started I would have, and I felt a bit robbed at the end of it.

TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 2 EU Sat Nav (discountinued by manufacturer)
TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 2 EU Sat Nav (discountinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare we didn't need when taking my son to hospital..., 27 Mar. 2011
The unit worked fine for a month - every time you start it it nags you to connect to the computer so they can update the software. I did. Mistake!

The software update resulted in the tomtom stopping being able to navigate to a full postcode - so instead of "W12 8QT" you'd have to enter W12 and then go through a rather non-intuitive process to find the address. This process seems to require a PhD in satnav.

So imagine your son has just been taken ill, you have to take him to a specialist clinic on a saturday night, and your husband has helpfully "upgraded" the satnav. So you can't find the clinic. So after ten minutes of trying to make it work you phone him to come out of the front door and help you (he has to leave the other child in the house for this...) and it takes him 5 minutes to figure it out. And bear in mind said husband works in the software industry so should be pretty good at figuring stuff out.

As the husband in question i am rather unhappy! And unpopular! Some googling shows that this is a known problem for TomTom units and has been for several years!

Happily, in spite of this being outside the return window, Amazon customer service is great and they have accepted a return - i am ordering a Garmin now, and if your marriage is important to you i suggest you do the same.

Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong: What Makes the French So French?
Sixty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong: What Makes the French So French?
by Jean-Benoit Nadeau

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but ultimately disappointing, 24 July 2007
The authors of this book, Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow, are clearly very intelligent and educated observers who managed to get the inside track on a lot of French life, especially among the elite.

What I personally find very disappointing, however, is the way they are constantly reminding us that they are Canadian, and seem to be seeing things in very Canadian terms - as France develops, for example, it is felt that it is "evolving towards a federal structure as in the USA or Canada". Why evolve towards? Why is this an "evolution"? While American authors usually write from an American perspective they don't usually have to remind me of that fact every two paragraphs.

I also felt that a lot of the observations were rather naive - perhaps if Jean-Benoit and Julie spent a few years living in other countries they might be able to write more about what makes the French different from other nationalities, rather than what makes them different from Canadians...

Worth reading though, especially after "Fifty Reasons to Hate the French"

Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - SAC 1st GIG - Complete Box Set [DVD]
Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - SAC 1st GIG - Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Masamune Shirow
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD, excellent series - why wouldn't you?, 10 May 2007
This is an excellent and very good value transfer of an absolute top quality, enthralling tv series. Described at the time as "the best Sci-Fi series on Television" Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex is the kind of intelligent, sophisticated science fiction that the world is crying out for - to my taste it stands up there with Battlestar Galactica, Firefly and the good seasons of Babylon 5.

The DVD transfer is good - sound and video quality are superb. The extras get a little tired after a while - they are mostly interviews in japanese with subtitles - but I guess if you're a hardcore fan you'd love that stuff.

The one complaint I have - and this is to do with the genre in general I think - is the outrageous proportions and clothing of the hero, Major Kusanagi. While I have no problem watching women displayed that way, when I am sitting down trying to convince my beloved wife that this animation is not, in fact, juvenile cartoons but rather a higher form of art, it doesn't help when hotpants and gravitationally impossible breasts fly across the screen before graphically slaughtering some villain.

I understand that in the context of the story that there is an argument for her looking this way - but honestly, that's not going to cut it with Mrs L.

I suspect I will always have this problem with this genre, which is of course aimed predominantly at young men. It would be nice if they could make wife/girlfriend friendly versions of these shows though - not that they get offended (or at least mine doesn't) - but because these juvenile depictions of female characters can get in the way and sadly prevent them from appreciating what is, to my mind, a highly advanced art form.

In short though - BUY IT!

Logitech Digital PEN IO2 USB Digital Pen, PC / Mac, Yes
Logitech Digital PEN IO2 USB Digital Pen, PC / Mac, Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars Top product - probably mis-sold, 1 Aug. 2006
I have been using my Logitech IO2 pen for around a year now and I've found it invaluable. I use it to take notes in all my meetings - it records words as well as diagrams, sketches and doodles.

What I *don't* use is the character recognition - frankly for my handwriting it doesn't work and even if it did, I wouldn't use this tool for creating emails or word documents - what it's great for is saving diagrams and notes from meetings which are not quite important enough to write up.

I work on the road a lot and having notes of all my meetings for the past year or so on my PC saves having to carry around a dozen notebooks or not being able to recall the discussion I had several months ago which just happened to relate to the meeting I'm in now.

Bottom line is - it's a great tool which might be able to help you manage your notes - just ignore Logitech's attempt to sell you character recognition - it doesn't work and isn't relevant.

Bill Hicks: Totally Bill Hicks - It's Just A Ride/Revelations [DVD]
Bill Hicks: Totally Bill Hicks - It's Just A Ride/Revelations [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Hicks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent show - bad DVD, 28 Aug. 2003
If you are reading this review, you probably already know that Bill Hicks was a genius and the performance in the Dominion theatre is superb.
My big complaint about this DVD is the production of the DVD itself - twice (once about 29 minutes in, once 1"42' in) it freezes and can cause the player to crash - I had this problem in my Toshiba player and also on my PC.
The paucity of special features suggest that this disc was mastered in a rush on a tight budget.
It's still brilliant, great to see the comedy I remember from my teens and great to show to my unitiniated friends - but very annoying that you have to stop and restart the disc, hence the ****

English-Czech and Czech-English Dictionary: Thumb Index
English-Czech and Czech-English Dictionary: Thumb Index
by Josef Fronek

5.0 out of 5 stars Best English / Czech dictionary I've seen, 2 Mar. 2002
This is the best Czech / English dictionary I've found - it includes things like verb models gender which aren't in cheaper dictionaries and are absolutely 100% vital for learning the language.
If you've learned French of German, you might expect Czech / English dictionaries to be of a higher standard - but in fact there's an awful lot of tat out there, and the majority are very much designed for a Czech person learning English, rather than the other way round. This is important because some things are simple in English and complex in Czech - and some the other way round (for example - Czech has about 16 words for 'bring').
If you are serious about learning the language this is, as far as I know, the best available dictionary...