Profile for M Phe > Reviews

Content by M Phe

M Phe "Margaret" (UK)

How to get a good degree: Making the Most of Your Time at University (Open Up Study Skills)
by Race

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy to have read it, 1 Sept. 2015
This book is a necessary tool for any student entering Third Level education. Lots of hints and advice. I'm happy to have read it.

Madeira Heavy Metal 8014 Embroidery Thread Box Assortment with 8 Metallic Spools of 100 m
Offered by Barnyarns

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 April 2015
I am very happy with my order. :) can't wait to get arty with them.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence
by Betty Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, 27 Mar. 2014
A must by for anyone who wishes to explore the art of art. It educates you in how the brain sees things, the psychology of how we perceive images and how to overcome the obstacles posed by the Left Brain in your art execution. Insightful, interesting and a tool for anyone who wants to improve their drawing techniques.

Derwent Inktense Watercolour Pencils Tin - Set of 12
Derwent Inktense Watercolour Pencils Tin - Set of 12

5.0 out of 5 stars a must buy, 27 Mar. 2014
I'm a newby in art. I got this set as a gift. I didn't realize their potential until I applied a wet paint brush to my creations. I was awe struck. They give a realistic impression of watercolor, a certain magic and vibrancy I didn't expect. It allows the artist to happily colour in with pencil and then with the swish of a wet brush your art, in an instant, is transformed into something beautiful. If you want to intensify your art all you need to do is rub the brush against the nib and apply. I'm well impressed and I recommend them to anyone. Worth every penny.

The Kindness of Strangers : The Autobiography
The Kindness of Strangers : The Autobiography
by Kate Adie

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindness of Strangers but was not reciprocated, 13 Nov. 2009
Well I stopped at page 184 and my respect for Kate Adie went flying out the window.

Sure, there were and still are many dark days in NI history and I understand that she may have been affected by it.

However, I became sick to my stomach with her aversion to catholics and the Irish akin to our old friend Cromwell, I see he is alive and well in Kate. The soldier who trashed a house and ornaments saying 'they live like pigs' ; his mother may live in a tidy clean semi somewhere but she did not teach her son any values that's for sure and for some reason the British Soldier becomes less than human when he steps onto Ireland as did Kate on this occasion.

A lot of atrocoties where hidden by all sides including the RUC, and British Government and the various organisations across NI without doubt. But Kate poured out all her hatred against one side. She did not enlighten us about the works of Bernadette Devlin on Civil Rights where Catholics did not even have a vote instead revealed how good she was as a respected Journalist to keep the matter of Bernadette's pregnancy outside of marriage quiet with her anti catholic quip added.

Her descriptions of everything Irish and catholic was soaked in so much hatred she betrayed the highest form of bigotry and from a feted journalist such as Kate was sickening.

I am very saddened that a lady such as Kate decended to almost hatred in this chapter and I guess if you want to know about Kate's inner workings, the chapter on NI will give you all the information you seek. I have found out all I need to know about Kate and all I want to know.

Sadly, I have had the misfortune to be subject to abuse for 1. being Irish and 2. being a Catholic. I put it all down to lack of education thats for sure.

Disgusted.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2010 11:59 PM BST

Blanketmen: An Untold Story of the H-block Hunger Strike
Blanketmen: An Untold Story of the H-block Hunger Strike
by Richard O'Rawe

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - Recommended, 27 Oct. 2009
Together with Before the Dawn and Cage 11 The Blanket Men is equally as compulsive.

It gave me the understanding of what went on in relation to to the hunger strikers as opposed to media propaganda.

I was struck by Bobby Sands 'there is no better love than to lay down you life' or words to that effect. The selflessness of this action for a higher cause is nothing short of Warrior status and how these people were prepared to sacrafice their lives for their rights and the strength and determination to do so irrespective of the outcome left me awe struck.

I am glad that I have been given the opportunity to gain insight into this sad time in our history.

Cage Eleven
Cage Eleven
by Gerry Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reading experience, 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Cage Eleven (Paperback)
After reading Before the Dawn I attacked this book with as much vigour.

Again another must read. Once again the word Brutal comes easily to mind. The suffering of the people incarcerated is beyond belief and happening in the 20th century in civilized Europe is a wake up call. There was no media outrage then as there is now in other wars abroad. NI history brushed under the carpet, an embarassment to be kept hidden.

Again the read made me cry, laugh and disgusted in parts. The ghost scene was eerie.

Another compulsive read and a story well told.

Before the Dawn: An Autobiography
Before the Dawn: An Autobiography
by Gerry Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - Recommended, 27 Oct. 2009
I was expecting a book full of dates and events, but was pleasantly surprised.

Gerry is definately a story teller extraordinaire. The book made compulsive reading, I was laughing, crying, disgusted at the brutality but most of all I came away with knowledge and understanding of what really happened in NI at this most turbulent time in her history. For anyone who wants to understand the Troubles this should be one of the books on your reading list. A must read.