Profile for DARKcell > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 51

DARKcell
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Magmagic Building Block Magnetic Toys, 38 Piece Versatility Vehicle Kit, Preschool Skills Educational Game Construction Stacking Sets
Offered by Golden box

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a lot of FUN!..., 21 July 2016
DISCLOSURE:
I was kindly supplied this item free of charge to test and evaluate. In exchange, I agreed to provide an honest review detailing my thoughts. This is said review.

—— WHAT’S IN THE BOX? ——

- 36 colourful magnetic shapes: (2 large hexagons, 12 triangles, 18 squares, 2 rectangles, 2 people on chairs within a magnetic square)

- 2 wheel bases

—— IN USE ——

Neatly and attractively packaged, this product oozes quality from the outset.

The tagline says it all really: yes, it is educational and yes, it is high quality, but above all else it’s fun! My son and I have already enjoyed playing with it and creating all sorts of items. With 38 pieces in the box you can make an almost limitless selection of designs. I found my son and I were able to build lots of things– house, train, car…. Or even just a simple tower.

Although it says it’s only suitable for 3+ years, my not-quite-two-year old has also enjoyed playing with it (under supervision) and since there are no really small parts I didn’t have any worries at letting him loose with it. My 3.5 year old loves it and I can imagine it would also be fun for children quite a bit older.

The magnets are sufficiently strong that they easily cling to one another, enabling you to easily create robust items, yet they’re not too strong for little fingers to pluck apart and reform.

At just shy of £40 this isn’t cheap, but then neither is Lego, Meccano, and other such toys… and with 38 pieces this item does have a lot of scope and potential for many hours of fun. My niece has a similar product from a different manufacturer, it was cheaper than this but also had far fewer pieces in it, and so compared to that I think this is actually pretty good value.

As my boys grow and enjoy this more I suspect I’ll be looking out for another set to add to it and expand the range of things they can make – particularly if they both want to play with it at the same time!

---- CONCLUSION ----

A great toy: fun, entertaining and educational. Both my sons love it, and I can imagine older children would also enjoy it. Wish I’d had one of these when I was a boy!

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ Lots of pieces - 38

✓ You can make almost endless number of ‘things’
✓ Very high quality
✓ Suitable for wide age range

CONS:
✗ None

ETTG Smart MiniDrones Jumping Race Drone Jett
ETTG Smart MiniDrones Jumping Race Drone Jett

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget - lots of fun to play around with..., 21 July 2016

- 1x USB charging wire
- 1x Jumping Sumo
- 1x instructions

—— FIRST IMPRESSIONS ——

Well made, robust and sturdy. Two wheels attached to a ‘body’ which is slightly larger than a fist. A retractable lever / arm at the back.

Note: I’m not really sure what to call this – it seems to be a cross between a drone and a car. The instructions refer to it as a ‘Jumping Sumo’ so that’s what I’ll call it in this review.

—— SETTING UP ——

The instructions are poorly written, but largely unnecessary. Setting it up is really easy:

1) Charge the device (took me about 45 mins to charge it)
2) Go to the app store for your phone (I use iOS), search for “Paierge WiFi” and download it (it’s free)
3) On iPhone go to Settings, WiFi and select the WiFi called “Paierge Wifi”. No complex pairing required – all you need to do is select the wifi.
4) Open the app and start to play!

—— PLAYING ——

I abandoned the instructions after a few seconds and just played around with it. It’s really easy to get to grips with. I started to play with it on the laminate floor of my kitchen (where it worked just fine), and then wanted to play with it in a larger area so took it outside and played with it on the pavement and in the road (on a private and very quiet close).

While holding your phone ‘landscape’, on the left of the screen is a bar – push up to go forwards and down to go backwards. To turn tilt the phone or use the buttons on the right of the phone.

The entire screen shows you what can be seen from the Jumping Sumo’s onboard camera – you can choose to record ‘movies’ or still images from it at any time.

A series of additional buttons on the app offer a selection of fun features:

- Spin on the spot for 2 seconds

- ‘Dance’ – plays music and moves slowly with the ‘lever’ in the air

- Gentle swerve – gently moves forward and from side to side

- Jump – my favourite feature, the retractable arm retracts, and then pushes down, causing the Sumo to jump up to about 2 feet in the air

- Spin and jump – spins on the spot and then jumps – my two young sons loved this feature – a bit like a ‘jack in the box’

Other buttons are more functional, allowing you to flip the camera view (in case the camera is upside down, and make other moves with the Sumo.

It nearly always lands on its wheels, and when it doesn’t you can normally get it to right itself in a few seconds just by playing with some of the buttons. It’s impressively robust – I’ve not been careful with it and yet it is still working absolutely fine.

It works fine on pavement, road, laminate floor and carpet.

It has good battery life – the battery seemed to last 15 – 20 minutes, after which I noticed the jumping feature stopped working and it slowed slightly but still continued to work. I’m not sure how much longer it would have gone on for, I always found this was long enough, and put it on to charge to play with another time at this point.

When used with an iPhone 5S I found the range was considerable and certainly sufficient. Other reviews indicate the range may be poorer with cheaper phones, but I can’t comment on that. I didn’t notice any significant drain on my phone’s battery either. The only downside with the WiFi connection method is that it means my phone is not connected to my home wifi while I’m playing with this, and so I can’t receive important emails or iMessages etc. in parallel. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

I should also add a note on the steering. This is a fantastic toy and a lot of fun to play with, but it’s not easy to accurately steer it. I tended to steer by tilting my iPhone while pushing the forwards / reverse bar. I could influence the general direction but was unable to accurately navigate round a series of obstacles. If I tilted the phone too far it went into a spin. In a large open area this is not an issue at all and part of the fun of the toy. Although it’s not suitable for young children (the box says for 14 years plus, although I suspect it’d be fine for children from about 8 or 9) my 2 year old and 4 year old loved watching it, and enjoyed the ‘jack in the box’ effect of the jumps.

---- CONCLUSION ----

All in all this is a great toy, entertaining and amusing. A lot of fun: good to play around with; enjoyable for adults and children alike.

Overall I’m giving this a very solid 4 stars. There are three minor reasons why I’m not giving it five stars 1) at £50 it seems a tad on the pricey side (given it’s a toy I’d have preferred it was a little cheaper, 2) the instructions are unclear (although largely unnecessary), 3) the steering (see above).

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes

PROS:
✓ Very easy to set up
✓ Lots of fun
✓ Host of features –jumps, spins etc

CONS:
✗ £50 is a little too much
✗ Instructions are entirely unclear (although largely unnecessary)
✗ Accurate steering is harder than I would have liked

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

Carfia Polarized Sport Sunglasses Outdoor Cycling Glasses Goggles with 5 Interchangeable Lenses for Running Fishing Driving Skiing TR90 Unbreakable
Offered by MAYBE CO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value..., 21 July 2016

—— WHAT’S IN THE BOX? ——

- Frames, with 5 sets of lenses ranging from clear, yellow, slightly tinted, to full on sunglasses

- Cord to secure glasses
- Hard carry case with a clip on one end
- Small lens cleaning cloth

—— IN USE ——

I cycle about 100 miles a week, and I find that some form of eye protection is essential as I otherwise get flies or mud in my eyes very quickly.

Unfortunately, I have a history of breaking the clear cycling glasses I use while riding, and so am always nervous about wearing my very expensive Oakleys on those rare days when the sun is out while I ride.

These glasses appear to offer just the solution: with five sets of interchangeable lenses they suit all types of daylight, and at around £15 (the current price) they seem amazing value. They’re a similar price to a low end pair of clear cycling glasses, however these are anything but low end – with so many different lens options and a tough carry case, they really are amazing value.

I was worried that swapping the lenses over would be hard; there aren’t instructions, but I needn’t have worried, they’re pretty intuitive and easy to do. Unclip at one end, then the other, and gently ease, out from the nose section. When putting a new lens in, clip into the nose and then each end.

In terms of fit and comfort, I like to think I have a fairly average sized head, and they fitted me just fine. My wife rightly pointed out they’re rather ‘large’ – i.e. the lens covers more of the face than my Oakleys would. For cycling this is great as it offers more protection, although I probably wouldn’t wear them to the pub on a sunny afternoon!

Having used these glasses on a number of rides I’m very happy with them and don’t notice they’re there. I can read my garmin bike computer just fine even when wearing the most tinted lens. I’m planning to continue using these for cycling.

—— CONCLUSION ——

Amazing value glasses; excellent quality.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ Amazing value

✓ Five lens options – easy to fit

✓ Tough carry case
✓ Great for cycling and other sports
✓ UV protection

CONS:
✗ None

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
I hope you found this review helpful. If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

ORICO H10C1 USB 3.0 10-Port Hub + 5V 2.1A Fast Charging Port with 12V 4A Power Adapter & 3Ft USB 3 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset] - Black
Offered by Mobile Electronics Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars More ports than the Navy could use..., 20 July 2016

- 1 x ORICO Hub

- 1 x 12V 4A Power Adapter

- 1 x 3.3ft. Data Cable

- 1 x User Manual

- 1 x Service Card

—— SETTING UP ——

Setting up is easy: unpack from the box, plug into the mains, connect to your PC, and start to add your devices.

—— KEY FEATURES ——

Here are my summary findings:

- Plug and play – no driver needed (I’ve tested with Windows, but understand this is the case for Mac OS also)

- Up to 10 USB devices can be connected simultaneously

- Fast – USB3

- Three switches – turn the ports on or off, three at a time

- LEDs indicate which ports are in use

- Charge while transferring data

- Safety features – hard to test but it claims to have surge protection and temperature control – important to protect the array of expensive devices plugged into it

There’s not much more to say, really: this works just fine – as simple as that. It’s a nifty gadget, well made, clearly high quality, and easy to use. Works consistently and reliably. Clearly it’s not cheap, but seems reasonable value for money given its quality.

---- CONCLUSION ----

Nifty gadget, high quality, easy to use. It works nicely. I like it.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes

PROS:
✓ Plug and play

✓ Ten ports
✓ 3 switches
✓ LEDS indicate which ports are in use
✓ USB 3
✓ Anti-surge protection
✓ Easy to use

CONS:
✗ None

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

HD Mini Portable Projector, Meyoung LED Pico Projector Gp70 Full Color 150" 1200 Lumens Home Cinema 800*600 Resolution Video Projectors for Movies, TV, Party and Games, Black
Offered by JIETIAN Technology

- Power cable
- HDMI cable
- Adjustable base screw

—— INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ——

This projector arrived well packaged. It felt sturdy and looks modern and sleek.

—— FEATURES ——

This projector has a lens correction dial, power button, menu button, 3.5mm audio port, SD slot, AV port, IR receiver, HDMI port, USB port, power port, VGA port and TV port. The resolution is 800 x 600 DPI with 1200 lumens.

—— IN USE ——

This HD projector was very easy to set up. I used the provided HDMI cable to plug it into my PS3 to view a DVD. I had to raise the projector onto my own contraption; a box on top of a little chair on top of a side table! A projector stand would be much more efficient but this works just as well as a temporary measure. I am very impressed by the picture quality, even using the adjustable base screw to tilt the projector upwards the picture is generally clear and easy to watch. The edges are ever so slightly blurry but the majority of the picture is pleasantly sharp.

The sound quality is adequate. Although slightly tinny, you can hear it fine to watch a movie. I would however want to use my own speakers long term, as the noise from the fan on the projector is fairly noticeable.

As with many projectors, the image is much clearer in a darkened room. I lowered our black out blinds and the image quality improved dramatically.

Overall this is a very impressive projector for the price.

—— CONCLUSION ——
The image quality is very good, and the sound quality is adequate, and can be easily improved with your own speakers. This projector has so many uses but could be a firm favourite for an affordable home cinema experience. The only downsides for me are a slightly noisy fan and very slight blurring at the edge of the picture. This projector gets a well-deserved 4 stars.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ Good quality picture
✓ Easy to use
✓ Adequate sound quality
✓ Multiple ports
✓ Large image being projected

CONS:
✗ Slightly noisy fan
✗ Slight blurring around edge of projected image

NB:
- For a permanent solution, I’d recommend using your own speakers

Comment Comment | Permalink

Scared of the Dark
Scared of the Dark

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but with two glaring errors that in my opinion, could make children more scared..., 12 July 2016

—— THE BOOK ——

I read through this story several times. As a budding author myself I love well-written text, especially text that flows. Rhyming verses have to keep to a rhythm, and the text here is rhythmic, and for the most part flows well when read.

I have two problems with this book however:

It all starts off very well, it flows, it sounds great, it’s positive etc. It goes into what the child may be afraid of (basically explaining that monsters aren’t real), and explains why they are afraid, talking about animals and human history etc. It’s all very calming, up to a certain point; and that point comes in the form of "But now what if I’m wrong and some monsters are real?”.
The book spends 13 pages explaining that there really is nothing to be afraid of, that monsters aren’t real, and calming the child down effectively, only to then posit the existence of monsters. The following four pages talk about monsters as though they are real, “If they cling to the door”; and goes on to explain how to combat them “Be courageous and yell”. The final seven pages go back to the nice friendly calming text that filled the first 13. If I were reading this to a scared child, I would simply miss out the four pages that put forward the possibility of the existence of monsters. To me, their inclusion is very strange.

My second issue was with the pictures inside the book. The front cover looks modern and well drawn, but the rest of the book has quite random sketchy, dark drawings and pictures, with old-fashioned corner patterns on each page. The images don't appear to be linked in terms of their style; they all seem quite isolated, which for a picture book for 4 year olds seems a little odd. A few of the images are also unnecessarily creepy, for example a shadowy figure (that resembles a yeti) creeping up a dark staircase (this picture appears on the page where the book initially suggests the author could be wrong, and that monsters may be real!). They seem to reiterate the fear factor, not help to overcome it.

—— CONCLUSION ——

I can see what the author has tried to do with this book, and basing it upon her own fear is a good idea. However, my own children are in this age category and I think the combination of creepy images and references to monsters potentially existing, may actually have the opposite effect to what the author is trying to achieve here.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? No

PROS:
✓ Text flows well
✓ Cover illustration good
✓ Great concept

CONS:
✗ Style of images aren't linked, all very random, and some potentially scary
✗ Puts forward possibility that monsters could be real

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

WOLFWILL Military Folding Shovel-Pick with Carrying Pouch, Multi Purpose for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Gardening - Tactical Army Entrenching Tool, Trench Shovel, Emergency Survival Steel Spade Tools (Black)
Offered by MICTUNING® Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-function, multi-purpose, in one small tool..., 12 July 2016

- 1 x multi-function folding shovel

- 1 x carry-pouch

—— SETTING UP ——

Presented in a green carry pouch, according to my kitchen scales it weighs in at just under 600g - - not light, but not too heavy either.

Inside the pouch the tool is in two parts – the handle and the base unit (the shovel part). Both are in black, strong and robust.

The handle has a rubber covering not dissimilar to a bicycle handlebar grip. Screw the handle into the base unit, and then unfold the tool. It takes perhaps 15 seconds to set it up from taking it out of the carry pouch.

—— IN USE ——

The shovel part is about the size of my hand, its blade is slightly sharpened on 3 sides, and has a serrated edge along one side (for cutting). It has a bottle opener at the top of the shovel section.

I tried to dig with it in the garden – it is easy to use and effective. It can also be used for cutting / sawing, hammering, and opening bottles. A multi-function, multi-use tool.

I can see multiple uses for this:

- An emergency tool to carry in the car in case you get stuck in sand / snow / mud. When it snows I sometimes throw a shovel in the back of my car ‘just in case’. Carrying this little device with me all the time instead is a much better idea as its probable the one time I’d need a shovel I’d probably have forgotten to put it in the back of the car.

- An extra or spare gardening tool

- Using on the beach – yes – I plan to use mine for helping my sons build sand castles when holidaying on the beach over the summer. Although will have to be very careful with the serrated edge that they don’t get too close to it.

- For camping. I probably wouldn’t use this while backpacking as at nearly 600g it is a tad on the heavy side to carry around in your back pack all day, but when camping out of a car this would be useful tool to have. It can be used to create a trench round your tent in case of rain, or just to dig up a pesky rock that threatens to disturb your otherwise flat sleeping area.

---- CONCLUSION ----

A nifty multi-function multi-use device. I plan to keep mine in the car for an emergency and perhaps use on the beach, but I can see many other uses for it too.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes

PROS:
✓ Portable – folds up and comes with neat carry case

✓ Easy to set up (takes just seconds)
✓ Sturdy and robust
✓ Multi-function – digging, cutting, hitting, bottle opener
✓ Multi-use – emergency tool, extra tool for garden, camping, on the beach even…

CONS:
✗ None

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

iGuerburn Digital Talking Day Clock Calendar for Dementia Alzheimer's Weak Memory loss Visually Impaired or the Elderly, Desk Wall Photo Frame with Adjustable Backlit- 8" LED Display (White)
Offered by iGuerburn Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Right on time..., 12 July 2016

- Digital clock
- Stand
- Power adapter

—— INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ——

This item arrived well packaged. The screen size is large and the length of wire on the power adapter is quite long, easy to plug in and display nearby.

—— FEATURES ——

The main aim of this digital clock is to display the day, month and year, as well as the current time. There are various options for the background colour and also the font colour; red, blue, white and black. The voice button can be pressed to hear the time, day, month and date read out. On the menu, you can set the date, change the date mode, set the time, adjust the time format, change the volume, as well as changing the colours.

This can also be used as a digital photo frame, either by inserting an SD/MMC/MS card, or using a USB flash drive (not included).

The stand is inserted easily in the back, in a ball and socket joint, so can be turned to adjust the angle of the screen.

—— IN USE ——

This was very quick to set up and would have many uses. Although advertised for the elderly, and those who suffer from memory loss, this digital clock would also look classy situated in the kitchen or hallway of a family home. The font is big and clear, so easy to read from a distance, and would also help young children to learn and recognise the date and time.

The multiple colour options are a real bonus, as some people find certain colours and backgrounds more difficult to see. The choices here enable them to find one they can read clearly, or even just one that matches their décor!

The voice is clear so it is beneficial for those who can't see the screen too well.

—— CONCLUSION ——

An excellent digital clock that doubles up as a digital photo frame. Well made and sturdy, this would suit many people in all walks of life so it gets an easy 5 stars.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ Clear display
✓ Adjustable stand
✓ Photo frame
✓ Colour choices
✓ Voice option

CONS:
✗ None

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

58 in 1 Magnetic Screwdriver Set Oira® Precision Driver Accessory Kit for Cell Phone, Tablet, PC, Macbook, Electronics Repair Tool Kit
Offered by ORIA UK

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive array of screw heads..., 12 July 2016

—— INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ——

Well packaged and everything looks as it should.
Impressive that they’ve fit so many things into such a compact package!

—— IN USE ——

After a month of ownership, the following are my condensed findings:

- Comes with a wide array of usual and (mostly!) unusual screw heads. Extremely handy for those items where the manufacturers refuse to use standard screws.
- The standard screwdriver can be extended even further by pulling back on the black part (that has two silver stripes on it). Doing this means that you can get to screws that are out of reach of a standard length screwdriver.
- The flexible arm adds a whole new dimension to DIY. Not only can it reach further than a standard screwdriver, but it can also get to areas where a normally straight screwdriver can’t. It can effectively bend around corners and still get the job done - very impressive.
- All seems perfectly acceptable quality for a package costing two or three times its current price, so no issues there

—— CONCLUSION ——

I would have expected something like this to have been sold for at least twice its current price. The quality is great, and I have no doubts of its long-term durability. The case is medium strength plastic so will withstand a few knocks.

All in all, an impressive bit of kit.

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes.

PROS:
✓ So many screw heads that you can’t find anywhere near ‘normal’ screwdrivers
✓ Screwdriver extends with a simply pull
✓ Flexible arm means that you can get into hard to reach places
✓ Build quality is nothing to be sniffed at
✓ Price

CONS:
✗ None

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

LAMASTON Wireless Laser Projection Bluetooth Virtual Keyboard & mouse for Iphone, Ipad, Smartphone and Tablets
Offered by Topidea

3.0 out of 5 stars As a novelty item: three stars. As a tool to actually type on in the real world: a lot less than zero stars!..., 29 Jun. 2016

- Projector
- Manual
- USB cable

—— INITIAL IMPRESSIONS ——

This laser projection keyboard arrived well packaged in a small box. The picture on the front of the box had a good illustration of what to expect.

—— FEATURES ——

This projection keyboard can be linked up with your device via Bluetooth, so no excess wires to get tangled or twisted. There is a USB cable to charge the projector when necessary, although mine arrived with charge. There is an automatic beeping sound each time a key on the keyboard is touched, and the instructions state how to increase the volume, decrease it, change the brightness of the keyboard and power on or off the voice speaker.

—— IN USE ——

This was fairly easy to use, and the manual was very easy to follow. Once connected to my phone via Bluetooth, I tried it out on various surfaces. Our glass table confused it terribly! And carpet is a big no no. But on a normal table or flat hard floor, it worked fairly well. It was lots of fun to try writing emails and texts, and seeing how accurate they were. The space bar took a little practice as you had to press it at the bottom right hand corner for it to have effect, and if your hand gets in the way of the laser at all, it can obviously mess up the typing.

This is purely a novelty item, so please don’t expect to do any serious (or for that matter casual!) typing on it. It will infuriate you prior to you actually getting your message onto your device!
It’s a bit of fun, that kids will like to play around with.

—— CONCLUSION ——

This was fun to use, and would make a great novelty gift for someone, but I honestly can't see it being useful for anything 'real'. I personally find it quicker to type messages on my phone than have to keep correcting all the errors from this keyboard.

As a novelty item : three stars (as it is quirky and amusing)
As something to actually type messages/emails on etc : a lot less than zero stars!

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, but only for fun

PROS:
✓ Compact and light
✓ Connects via Bluetooth
✓ USB cable for charging
✓ Manual was clear
✓ Fun to try out

CONS:
✗ Typing was not completely accurate so would take longer to go back through it and make all the corrections

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20