Profile for CatherineB > Reviews

Colourless Max Condition Hair Colour Remover
Colourless Max Condition Hair Colour Remover
Offered by Parkem Retail

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me - left my hair yellow., 30 April 2017
Just used this, followed the instructions to the letter, but my hair is now yellow! I've been dyeing it for many years using semi-permanent Nice n Easy. It's naturally light brown-grey and I wanted to get it back to its natural colour as I am fed up with constantly retouching the roots. I think this product might be ok if you want to remove a colour and then re-dye but not if you want to go back to your natural colour. It also feels very harsh and smells horrible.

The product was fairly straightforward to use, similar to a dye in that you mix 2 bottles and then apply. The applicator bottle was a little hard to use as only lets out a tiny amount at a time, but I got there in the end. One of the gloves split when I put it on, so if you have eczema or sensitive skin you'd probably want to buy a better pair before using this. You need cling film as you have to cover your hair with this for 45 minutes. There is a shampoo-type liquid included which you have to use twice and rinse for 5 minutes each time, then a conditioner which you have to rinse off again for 5 minutes.

Sadly it hasn't done the job for me, so only 2 stars, but might be worth using if you just want to get rid of a build up of dye before re-dyeing.

TGI MS20BK Music Stand and Carry Bag - Black
TGI MS20BK Music Stand and Carry Bag - Black
Offered by RST Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy folding stand, 21 April 2017
A nice sturdy music stand - a bit more substantial than the basic folding stands, but still pretty lightweight and folds up quite small. Comes with a cover that has a strap so can be worn like a shoulder bag or carried in the hand.

2018 Moleskine Large Weekly Notebook Diary 18 Months Hard
2018 Moleskine Large Weekly Notebook Diary 18 Months Hard

5.0 out of 5 stars Great diary, 21 April 2017
I've been buying these diaries for 3 or 4 years and just ordered a new one. They layout is great as you get the week's diary on the left and a lined blank page on the right - perfect for 'to do' lists, shopping lists, etc. I love the 18 month format because it means there's a comfortable overlap between diaries so I don't have that awful stage of having to carry around two diaries towards the end of a year. I also like the July start because, having school-age children, it seems a good time to start the year. Also good if, like me, your diary gets so messy towards the end of the year with crossings out from re-arranging things lots of times, it's nice to start a new diary early and get everything written in neatly. Also a nice, attractive design which feels good to use.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever
by Marie Kondo

5.0 out of 5 stars After a lifetime of clutter, this book seems to be working..., 3 Mar. 2017
I am a lifelong hoarder and my house is a mess. I read this book after hearing it recommended but without high expectations. It seemed to make so much more sense than other methods I've tried for tidying and after a few weeks of following the book I've done clothes, paperwork and kitchen equipment. So far I am keeping to the new regime and I feel happier and much less stressed. Here's what's different about this book:

Kondo advises clearing out/tidying by category. So you start with clothes & you can subdivide and do a small section at a time, e.g. socks, tops, sportswear, etc. She advises against what most people do, which is tackle the bedroom or the living room as one project. Her thinking is that you can't sort your things out properly unless you sort every single thing in that category, e.g. how can you sort the jackets in your wardrobe if you have two others in the hall, one by the back door, one in your car, etc. You need to see everything you own in that category together. So when you do clothes you have to be disciplined and do the whole lot but don't touch anything else in your bedroom. Having tried it now, this seems so logical and sensible I'm shaking my head wondering why I couldn't see it before. It's a bit like doing the laundry - you need to collect all the dirty clothes from everywhere first & it's frustrating and annoying if you get everything washed and dried and then discover a load of dirty clothes in a heap somewhere else.

Kondo tells you to keep only what sparks joy and discard everything else. This doesn't mean having to feel a great passion for a pair of socks, it's more about something making you feel good in some way - e.g. I have a black dress which I don't love but it looks smart and fits well and what I like about owning it is that I know I have something that is very suitable for funerals and formal occasions - I think that counts as sparking joy because it makes me feel prepared and capable & it reduces my stress levels. It's surprisingly easy to work out what sparks joy when you try it.

What she doesn't tell you do is to spend your whole life obsessively tidying. She is very clear that you should do it quickly and get organised once and for all because it's just about making your life easier by having only the things that make you happy or serve a function in your life and having them all where you can get to them - it's about making your home and your possessions manageable so that you can get on with the rest of your life, it's not about ignoring your family because you've become obsessed with cleanliness.

She also doesn't tell you to be minimalist or get rid of everything. I keep reading that she tells readers to throw out their books and keep the remaining few in the back of the cupboard. My reading of this was that, if you find joy in books, then keep them, but sort them out and have them properly organised so you can see and access what you have. On the other hand, if books don't bring you joy then be ruthless with them - and why not? She is clear that one person's clutter is another's pride and joy, and I did not find her judgemental about this at all. But she's also really encouraging in explaining that, if you feel an emotional attachment to the clutter, how much better you'll feel if you learn to let it go and move on in your life. I can absolutely feel this happening as I clear my stuff out.

Some people are put off by the spiritual aspect of the book and the personification of inanimate objects. Yes, she does say that your socks prefer to be folded because they deserve to rest, etc, etc. I found all that a bit weird but just assumed something was lost in translation - maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know, but I think the point to take from it is that it's worth working out which things we value and taking care of them. I don't thank my socks or even fold them, but I do feel a lot better and less stressed when I open the sock drawer and can see exactly what I have and know that none of them have holes or are uncomfortable.

So, in summary, if your life is blighted by clutter and you don't know how to make any kind of progress with clearing it out - maybe you've tried and failed a number of times - then I'd recommend giving this book a go. It might work for you too, and you might even enjoy the process.

The Stone of Kuromori (The Kuromori Series)
The Stone of Kuromori (The Kuromori Series)
by Jason Rohan

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for 10-12 years, 3 Mar. 2017
My 11 year old son is loving this adventure series set in Japan - hope there will be more soon.

Music Theory Past Papers 2014, ABRSM Grade 5
Music Theory Past Papers 2014, ABRSM Grade 5
by ABRSM
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great preparation for theory exam, 28 Feb. 2017
Very useful if you or your child is taking the Grade 5 music theory exam. The answers are not included so you either need to buy them separately or ask your music teacher to mark the papers for you, but even just practising the questions and getting used to the style of questions will be invaluable help in preparing for the exam.

KENWOOD kMix Hand Mixer (BLUE)
KENWOOD kMix Hand Mixer (BLUE)
Offered by Kenco Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, stylish and does a good job, 28 Feb. 2017
This review is from: KENWOOD kMix Hand Mixer (BLUE)
I've had one of these (in grey) for around 7 or 8 years. It's pancake day today and I was thinking as I used my mixer to make pancakes, that it used to be such a chore to mix them with a hand whisk, so I decided to post a review! This is a nice-looking sturdy and hard-wearing mixer. It is easy to use with just simple settings. The blades are easy to click into place and there's a button to release them. It's heavy, so that might be a negative if you have difficulty with arm or shoulder strength, but if not the heaviness makes it feel robust and sturdy. It does a great job with most jobs - I used it for batters and cake mixes mostly, maybe 3 or 4 times a month, so it hasn't had heavy use but there doesn't seem to be any deterioration. I leave it out on the worktop as it has a little stand which holds the blades. It's quite a stylish design so looks ok left out. I would definitely recommend this, especially if you are using a hand whisk and it's also much better than the whisk attachments you get on hand blenders or with food processors - the ones I've tried have been far too flimsy to do a good job.

Q Connect 100% Recycled Multifunctional A4 80 gsm Copier Paper - 5 x Reams of 500 Sheets Per Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality and 100% recycled, 26 Feb. 2017
Works perfectly, no jams, excess dust or other problems. Nice clear white colour with no optical brighteners used.

For reviewers who say it's thin or thick...it's 80gsm (grams per square metre), which is a standard measure of paper weight, so if you need thicker paper you need to look for a higher gsm. This paper is perfect for general paperwork, kids' homework, etc, but if you are printing colour reports or materials with lots of bold type or want your documents to look more expensive, then choose a heavier paper.

Great to be able to get nice quality recycled paper for a good price, and it's good that the packaging is all recycled paper and card too. I would buy this paper again. It would be nice to know the country of origin but this info isn't given on the packaging.

Croydex Jackson 'Sit Tight' Double Fixed, No More Movement Toilet Seat with Anti-Bacterial Treated Surface

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems sturdy and good quality, a bit tricky to install, 26 Feb. 2017
Bought in a well known DIY store, not from amazon. It's a nice sturdy seat, quite heavy and feels like good quality. Seems easy to clean, though it's a painted material (probably MDF?) so I think it will be more likely to scratch than a moulded plastic seat.

I found it quite difficult to follow the installation instructions, and I am normally reasonably good at self-assembly items. I felt the diagrams were unclear and the wording was unnecessarily complicated. However, the seat was installed eventually after about half an hour of puzzling! Basically the 'sit tight' feature involves glueing the hinges to the toilet, which I guess you could do with any seat and a tube of strong PVA!

My toilet is more D shaped than traditional rounded/oval shaped, and this seat fits well - I previously bought a more rounded shaped seat and had to return it because it just didn't fit the shape of the toilet at all. I think this would fit most styles of toilet as it's somewhere between D shape and rounded and the position of the hinges is adjustable to suit different sizes.

Leon: Fast Vegetarian
Leon: Fast Vegetarian
by Henry Dimbleby

5.0 out of 5 stars A recipe book that I use regularly, 25 Feb. 2017
This review is from: Leon: Fast Vegetarian (Hardcover)
I've been vegetarian for over 30 years and must have 50 or 60 veggie cook books of which I use maybe 4 or 5 regularly and another 10 occasionally. I have had this book for around 6 months and it's definitely moved into the category of 'use regularly'. I've made around a quarter of the recipes by now, most were very tasty and turned out well. Of course there were one or two that were not to my taste, but even the ones I wouldn't cook again were not a disaster, and there are some really outstanding recipes some of which are quite different from things I've cooked before. Favourites include Braised Celery & Swede, Tandoori Cauliflower, Green Bean and Cashew Curry, Pasta e Fagioli, Beetroot Rosti & Jackson Pollock Salad. I also like that most of the recipes have a text box with ideas for different additions/substitutions to change the recipe slightly. They are mostly all the kind of dishes you can serve up in a mezze-style, with several dishes on the table to choose from, though there are a few one pot stew-type dishes as well.

If you are looking for things to serve for the one veggie in the family to have instead of meat, then this probably isn't the book for you. And if you are not a fan of herby, spicy, sloppy foods (curries, stews, gratins, etc) then you may not like it. For everyone else I would recommend this book, even for non-vegetarians looking for a change occasionally. Quite a number of the recipes are vegan too. Some of the recipes are easy, some a little fiddly, but nothing too complicated or time-consuming and I've not had any difficulty getting ingredients - there might be a few unusual spices but you can always get those online wherever you live.

Highly recommended!