Profile for Sam the Man > Reviews

Content by Sam the Man

Sam the Man "gunt99"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Jennifer Blood- A Woman's Work is Never Done (Vol.1)
Jennifer Blood- A Woman's Work is Never Done (Vol.1)
by Garth Ennis

4.0 out of 5 stars Take it as it is, 1 Jan. 2017
I picked this up at my local library based purely on having the name Garth Ennis on it. I knew little about the series but wanted to give it a go.
The story, as others have mentioned, is very weak and the actions scenes are few and brief.
Despite this I enjoyed the book. Fast paced, gory, brutal and scenes of comic relief.
I just wish Jennifer had a real challenge to face as she seems to come away from the dozens of mob bosses, goons and fake ninjas far too easily and without a scratch for most of it.
I'll be checking out vol 2 with the hope of a better story but at face value this book is just fine :-)

X-Men: Apocalypse [DVD]
X-Men: Apocalypse [DVD]
Dvd ~ James McAvoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Anything is better than X3...., 1 Jan. 2017
This review is from: X-Men: Apocalypse [DVD] (DVD)
Was looking forward to this despite the average reviews. I mostly enjoyed the film as a whole but, as others have said, the plot is very weak and the acting in places could be a lot better.
Fassbender and McAvoy are excellent as ever but the supporting cast look a little lost and scenes meant to convey powerful emotions are stunted and little forced.
Definitely worth a watch, especially scenes with Quicksilver and Magneto.

Blackrock Unisex-Adult Ultimate Boots S3 SRC Black
Blackrock Unisex-Adult Ultimate Boots S3 SRC Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Boots, 9 Oct. 2016
I have worn various boots for 8 years now. I don't work in an industrial environment. I prefer the rugged, solid feel of boots, especially as I like to walk everywhere.
I've owned these for several months now and my impression is that they are just, ok. They are heavier than other steel toe caps I've owned so they do make your legs tired after several hours in them and the fit is slightly larger than I'm used to.
The major draw back of them is the toughness of the forefoot. I accidental hit the top of the forefoot against a wall and it made a noticeable dent in them which annoyed me. I've had inexpensive boots that have stood up to hikes, festivals, and general abuse which have never scuffed or torn.
Not sure what material is used but it definitely isn't tough enough to be used in demanding environments. Wouldn't buy this brand again.

Giro Skyline Helmet - Red/Black, One Size
Giro Skyline Helmet - Red/Black, One Size

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Helmet, 9 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Giro Skyline II Helmet (Sports)
Good quality helmet and is still going strong after a year of use. Doesnt fit as snugly as some other helmets but good for the price.

HOTER Sportline Wrist Band, Terry Cloth Wristband, Sweat Band, Sweatband (Price for SINGLE PIECE)
Offered by ONBENE HK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sweat Bands, 9 Oct. 2016
Extremely cheap, absorbs sweat well and was delivered quickly. Very pleased.

Catherine Lansfield Cl Home Bath Towel, Cobalt Blue
Catherine Lansfield Cl Home Bath Towel, Cobalt Blue
Offered by Lifestylish

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Towels, 9 Oct. 2016
I've had my bath towel for nearly a year now and it is still in great condition. Excellent quality material, no bits of fluff coming off and drys very well.
Very happy I bought one :)

Tourna Lead Tape Power Strips - Tennis Racket Balancers
Tourna Lead Tape Power Strips - Tennis Racket Balancers
Offered by RacquetDeal

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Strips Ruined..., 9 Oct. 2016
I've been experimenting with lead tape for several months now after struggling with my Wilson Pro Staff 97 in stock form. I originally used lead tape for golf which were very good but bulky and came off after a couple of weeks. I decided to try these Tourna strips. They are shaped to fit precisely within the inside of the head of your racket between the strings which is very handy and looks more aesthetically pleasing. The major downside to these strips are the appalling adhesion. They dont stay on for more than 30 minutes before coming off.
I eventually gave in and superglued them to my racket (only do this if you know where you want them!) but at this sort of price the self adhesive glue needs to be a LOT better.

Suicide Squad [Includes Digital Download] [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Suicide Squad [Includes Digital Download] [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Will Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Suicidal Mess, 4 Sept. 2016
Just got back from seeing this and.... Meh. That's all I could think when the credits rolled. I'm a fairly avid comic book reader so I was expecting something a bit special (despite the poor reviews). The plot is weak, a lot of the acting seems phoned in (Mr Smith I'm looking at you) and the editing, as mentioned by others, is awful in places. The film just doesn't seem to flow enough to be enjoyable.
I was most interested to see Jared Leto's take on the infamous Mr. J and, despite some decent scenes, his version just didn't impress. A lot of the cast seem to have been told to act like 'gangstas' to impress the 12 year olds watching but it's just cringe worthy in places.
Despite its downfalls there are some saving graces. Enchantress is portrayed very well and her makeup when we see her in the beginning of the film is dark and disturbing, very effective.
Batmans brief cameos are a nice addition (still think Affleck looks like a chubby bodybuilder in a batman suit) and the cast do occasionally have some believable interaction and funny one liners.

With a bigger budget, better plot and some more experienced actors this could have been a hit.

If you want to see an anti hero be bad, funny, violent and in a plot that's been thought through please just watch Deadpool!

Paul Anthony Nose Clipper and Trimmer H5130BK
Paul Anthony Nose Clipper and Trimmer H5130BK

4.0 out of 5 stars Trim Your Heart Out, 24 July 2016
Good trimmer. Have now accepted that at 30 years old a little bit of intervention is needed with nose hair now and again!
Works very well, not too noisy and battery has lasted well so far. The hair trimmer attachment is good too if a little blunt for my liking but good for small trims when required after a main haircut.
Worth the money :)

Babolat RPM Blast String Set - Black, 1.25 mm/12 m
Babolat RPM Blast String Set - Black, 1.25 mm/12 m
Offered by TRME Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Spin Monster, 22 May 2016
I've been using rpm blast in several rackets over the past 18 months. First in a Wilson Blade 101l then a Volkl V1 Organix Pro and then a Babolat Pure Strike Tour. This string in all rackets provided a tremendous amount of spin as long as the player has good technique. The shaped poly grips well and countless times have I hit a hard shot that my opponents thought was sailing long only to have the spin take hold and drop the ball dead on the line. This had been my go to string ever since until I decided to stray away in search of alternatives. I recently purchased a Wilson Pro Staff 97 which has ended my search for the perf racectket but I opted to string it with Wilson Rip Spin which is a great string but dies out too quickly. I am now in the process of having it restrung with Rpm Blast 17g so will update this review once I've had a chance to play with it next week.
Overall I'd recommend this string over any other out there as it provides an awesome amount of spin, good control, good durability and is relative cheap. If you want a similar but cheaper string I'd recommend Pro's Pro Lethal 8 which has the same 8 sided shape but offers great spin but less control than Blast.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3