Profile for Blackberry52 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series
Passion: Book 3 of the Fallen Series

2.0 out of 5 stars A HUGE Disappointment!, 2 July 2011
I was very excited when this book arrived on my doorstep, after the luke warm start with Fallen, things had really warmed up with Torment so I couldn't wait to get reading again.
I just don't know what went wrong but this book really doesn't work for me. I don't think the concept of discovering if you have found true love with someone by spending all your time away from that 'special someone' sits well with me!
Basically Luce spends the majority of the novel running through different time periods trying to find out more about the Lucindas and Daniels of the past.
I don't really see the point of it all and it's not as though Luce actually learns a great deal either. She gains a travel companion along the way by the name of 'Bill' who she implicitly trusts - no questions asked - and yet still questions her relationship with Daniel. Craziness!
All in all the only part of the book that I found interesting was the last twenty pages - I had to skim read through the rest just to keep my attention. This is a huge disappointment after the excitement and anticipation that Torment left me with and at present I have no desire to see how Rapture concludes the series.

Unearthly
Unearthly
by Cynthia Hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the sequel, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Unearthly (Paperback)
If you love books about angels then you need to give Unearthly a try - I managed to stumble across this whilst searching Amazon for my next read and was not disappointed.
So many angel, vampire and werewolf books are written from the 'human' perspective leaving us feeling once again vulnerable and fragile against the 'superior being'. Unearthly is written from the persepective of Clara, a young angel-blood who stumbles and muddles through her teenage and angel life. She is therefore very endearing and likeable as the main character and doesn't seem as untouchable as other supernatural lead roles.
There are some very interesting characters to accompany Clara, there is obviously much more to learn about her mum, Tucker is very sweet and what has Jeffrey been up to?? All that plus a great twist at the end - which I had pondered on a few occasions but then dismissed until Hand revealed the unlikely.
If you have grown a little tiresome of angel series then give this book a go and it will restore your faith as it is less predictable than 'Hush Hush' and much more interesting than 'Fallen'.
Brilliant, amazing and addictive what more could you want apart from the sequel! (which I hear is out Jan 2012).

EASYi - Car Charger Black For Apple iPod All Generations and Apple iPod 2010 Models: (6G Nano 6th Generation, iPod 4G Touch 4th Generation 8GB 32GB 64GB , New iPod Classic 160GB, Apple iPhone 3GS & 4G, FCC, RoHS certified)
Offered by Quality Product Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it should!, 21 May 2011
This is a handy piece of kit which really can't be beaten on price. As per the description I can confirm that it charges the iPhone 4 and the 2nd generation iPod Nano. It's reassuring to know it's in the car whenever I'm travelling incase I need an emergency charge of my phone. The charger does get quite hot though, but I think that happens with most chargers?

The Vampire Diaries: Volume 1: The Awakening & The Struggle: Books 1 & 2
The Vampire Diaries: Volume 1: The Awakening & The Struggle: Books 1 & 2
by L J Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied my curiosity, 21 May 2011
This isn't a bad little book to spend a few hours on, although I do not feel compelled to read anymore of the books in the series.
I'm an adult reader so I know these books aren't aimed at me, or perhaps I have just been spoilt by other books in the same genre but my curiosity has been satisfied. I have no urge to find out which brother Elena decides to pick or what happens to her or her friends. I shall leave the rest of the books to the more dedicated fans!

Crescendo
Crescendo
by Becca Fitzpatrick

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel!, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Crescendo (Hardcover)
What a disappointment!
Hush Hush was such a brilliant read that I couldn't help but feel dismayed by this book - what went wrong??
My main problem is that Crescendo seems to follow near enough the same plot line as Hush Hush, even down to the 'bad guy' becoming aloof and unavailable for the main part of the book - it was easy to spot who the offender was.
And as for Nora and Patch, what is going on there? Nora doesn't listen to or trust a word he says - if I was him I'd have given up on her along time ago. This relationship needs some major work.
To be honest I wish I'd not read on after Hush Hush and left it as a amazing stand-alone novel. I have huge doubts as to whether or not to read book three...

Torment (Fallen)
Torment (Fallen)

4.0 out of 5 stars A VAST improvement!, 27 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Torment (Fallen) (Paperback)
For starters I wasn't a huge fan of Fallen - the book had so much potential but just did not deliver - I only bought Torment on the off chance that the story might take a dramatic turn for the better and thankfully it did. The setting for this novel is much more uplifting and the story and characters (old & new) are developed a lot further than in their first outing.
If you're expecting an epic love story then this book is not for you and you will be disappointed, the main characters - Luce and Daniel - spend the majority of the book apart with only a few fleeting moments at a time together and it is sometimes a little difficult to understand why they are so 'deeply' in love. But for me the story is more about - what Daniel is actually up to? what is Luce's significance to the good vs. evil battle? and of course the relationship between Luce and the rest of the characters.
All in all this is a vast improvement on Fallen - I couldn't put this book down - and I will definitely be ordering Passion because I am itching to know what happens next.

Hush, Hush
Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Read, 17 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Hush, Hush (Paperback)
I bought this book based on the reviews supplied buy Amazon - most people gave 5 stars but as always there were the odd negative reviews - so I had faith in my fellow Amazon readers and decided to give it a go.
I have to say I wasn't disappointed - this book is fantastic and was a pleasure to read - it has a good mixture of action, horror, intrigue and even a few comedy moments with plenty of twists and turns thrown in for good measure.
Nora and Patch's relationship is hardly the greatest love story ever told but it's firey and full of forbidden lust so makes for an exciting read.
I have to say this novel deserves all of its positive reviews - unlike some books I have read with similar ratings -a couple of chapters in and I was well and truly hooked and having only finished reading it I have gone straight online to order the sequel.
Speaking of sequeal - another good point about this book is that although it is part of a series Fitzpatrick gives us plenty of information in this first outing to develop the plot well and keep you wanting to keep read on - there is a very good balance between fufilling the reader but lots of new questions to be answered.
If you like this genre then definately give this book a read!

Zombieland [DVD] [2010]
Zombieland [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Woody Harrelson
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius!, 13 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am not a huge fan of zombie films but my husband is so obviously compromise means that I have to watch them every now and again.
There's something about the genre that makes me feel depressed - perhaps it's the general lack of hope that comes with films that never have a happy ending i.e. there are never any characters left by the end credits because they've all been ripped to pieces by the walking dead!
All that said this is a fantastic film it is funny, entertaining and very clever - and that has to say something given that I am so anti-zombies. Bill Murray's appearance is short lived but unmissable and event his death scene has legendary comedy value.
Great film - can't wait for the sequel which is due out next year - if you like Shaun of the Dead then you'll also like this.

Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga)
Breaking Dawn: Twilight, Book 4: 4/4 (Twilight Saga)
by Stephenie Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this saga!, 9 Oct. 2010
If you had told me a few months ago that I would be such a HUGE fan of Twilight I would have laughed in your face.
Admittedly I did love the Harry Potter series so perhaps my love for Twilight was inevitable but the two stories are so unalike that it was never a given.
As mentioned in my previous reviews, it took me a long time to actually give in and decide to read these books, I'm 29 and thought my days of teenage style romances were in the distant past along with my Judy Blume books and Making Out novels.
But there is something about the love story between Edward and Bella that captivated me and sucked me in. I absolutely love Twilight and have never been so obsessed with a character before quite like the way I have with Edward.
Within three weeks of starting my Twilight journey I had read all four books, bought Twilight and New Moon on DVD and been to see Eclipse at the cinema twice (much to the disappointment of my husband who got dragged along the first time).
I have converted my best friend, my sister-in-law and my boss into Twilight addicts, I'm currently trying to persuade my mum to read the books and even started a random converstation with a waitress about the merits of Edward. The appeal is so widespread that it is just nice to be a part of it all.
I found Breaking Dawn to be a fitting end to the series - although I did note that Meyer has left the saga wide open for another book - what would happen if the Volturi came back again?
I was a little worried that the chapters narrated by Jacob would let the book down but they had the opposite effect - they were brilliant and provided real comedy value - even the chapter titles were funny.
I was also glad that Bella finally made up her mind as to who she wanted - the constant angst between her choice of Edward and Jacob was my only issue with the series and her role as tease did get a little annoying at points. (There never was an issue in my mind I was team Edward from the start!!)
The only problem with this book is that once I'd finished I felt lost without my daily Edward fix and had to start reading the books from the very beginning again - I just hope all my paperbacks can withstand the use over the next few years until the next film comes out or until Midnight Sun is finally published.
I would definately recommend the Twilight Saga and if you enjoy reading it only half as much as I did then you will love these books.

Fallen: Book 1 (The Fallen Series)
Fallen: Book 1 (The Fallen Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better to come?!, 4 Oct. 2010
I have very mixed feelings about this novel, it should be a really good book but it doesn't quite live up to its own expectations.
It starts off really well with a very dark gothic setting and lots of hidden mystery - I was itching to know what would happen to the leading character and which of the two love interests she would choose.
The problem is once the secrets start to emerge Luce accepts everything that is happening around her without really questioning any of it - plus one of her love interests turns from good guy to bad guy without much reasoning or explaination.
All in all its a good concept but there didn't seem to be much development of the 'real story' for my liking and once I had finished the book I felt a little bit disappointed as I was left with too many unanswered questions.
I do know this is the first book in the series so there is more to come - the second book (Torment) arrived this weekend so I'm hoping it can fill in some of the blanks otherwise I will not be reading on!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3