Profile for Jo Blogs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Maldeamores: (Lovesick) (Heightsbound)
Maldeamores: (Lovesick) (Heightsbound)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your every day love story., 22 Jun. 2015
OH. MY. HEART. I loved this story!! The simple blurb intrigued me, the prologue hooked me, and from there onwards I couldn't put it down. I know there are lots of books that you struggle to put down, but when I say I couldn't put it down, I mean I couldn't put it down. School run, work, toilet, that book went with me.
Maldeamores is easily one of my favourite books of this year. If you like forbidden love stories then this one ticks all the boxes, It's tortured, angsty, passionate, and pretty damn hot too! The chemistry between the two characters is off the scale, and even though I knew there were good reasons why they shouldn't get it on, I was rooting for it to happen! In any other romance Luciano and Belen would be the perfect couple, but they were far too closely related for them to act on their feelings. The story is spread over 20 years, and you see them growing up together, as very close playmates and then the gradual shift in their feelings as they both hit their teens. I really felt for Belen, with her confusion over her feelings for Luciano. She was so conflicted and felt ashamed but she couldn't help herself. As the story progressed, the emotions were so intense it was if you were there with them, and it was heartbreaking. This story has left a mark on me, I'm still thinking about it three weeks after reading the ARC.

Along with the taboo subject of forbidden love, there are also scenes of F/F and menage a trois in this story.

Uncovered by Truth (Lies and Truth Duet Book 2)
Uncovered by Truth (Lies and Truth Duet Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling end to this duet, 16 Jun. 2015
After the cliffhanger ending of Hidden In Lies, I was desperate to find out what happened next! As this book is told from Alex’s point of view, it won’t be a spoiler for me to say that he didn’t meet an untimely end as was suggested at the end of book one. Alex is now under the blackmailing control of Cal, held prisoner until he completes a murderous mission for the power hungry senator. Cal’s only bargaining chip is his wife Elizabeth, whom Alex would die to protect and Cal plans on using his wife to manipulate Alex into doing his bidding.

Poor Alex was beside himself in this story, and I really felt for him. He was tested to breaking point and he was desperate to find a way out for both him and Elizabeth. My heart was in my mouth on more than one occasion and I feared for the safety of both of them. Cal was such a piece of work, there were no limits to how low he would stoop to get what he wanted. My heart broke for Elizabeth, especially seeing her through the eyes of Alex. She was so forlorn and lost at the start of the book, she had lost the will to live because she thought Alex was dead.

Rachael Duncan did a great job with this story, it has it all – it’s got love, romance, steamy moments, heartbreak and it’s also a thriller. The tension at times was heart pounding, and I found myself holding my breath and praying they wouldn’t get caught. The story was well thought out, and Rachael’s political background really shines through with the attention to detail.

The Definition of Icing: A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance (Dallas Demons Series)
The Definition of Icing: A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance (Dallas Demons Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 16 Jun. 2015
When you’re in the mood for a light hearted romance with a bit of fun, and a hot, sweet hero then you cant go wrong with an Aven Ellis book and this one was no exception.

Kenley is a young businesswoman, determined to be recognised for her intellect rather than her looks, but when she’s invited to attend a photo shoot to showcase her skills, she soon realises she is up against preconceived opinions again. Rather than sell out and demean herself she stands her ground and I was pleasantly surprised.

I wasn’t the only one who was impressed, the new Dallas Demons signing Nate overhears Kenley’s argument and he comes in like the proverbial knight to defend her honour. Neither of them are looking for a relationship, Kenley is sworn off men after her last relationship ended, and Nate has been hurt in the past too. Fate has a way of intervening though, and they won’t get off so easily!

I loved how fate came in the form of Kylie and Harrison Flynn (from the first Dallas demons book, Waiting for Prince Harry) – it was nice to catch up with them and see their life together as a newly married couple. Harrison is Nate’s team mate, and is eager to help him settle into his new life in Dallas following his transfer. Kylie Flynn is eager to learn more abut Kenley’s business, which is chocolate.

Kenley and Nate are drawn to each other but as they have reservations they agree to take things slowly, but with this being an Aven Ellis book, its not without its fair share of laughs and cringe-worthy moments! Kenley inadvertently posting on social media how hot she thinks Nate is had me laughing out loud and cringing behind my cushion for her. Poor girl! I also have to give a special mention to her young niece Claire – she is so funny. It’s true what they say, the best things come out of the mouths of babes!

Nate was so sweet, I fell in love with him straight away. From the moment he spoke up for Kenley my heart was like a chocolate bar in the sun – it melted! He had been heart broken in the past and wanted to take things slow but his actions said differently. No wonder Kenley was confused. She fell hard and fast, even though she couldn’t admit it and her fear of scaring Nate off with her feelings meant there were lots of misunderstandings throughout. Good job she has her elder sister and best friend there to intervene and keep her and Nate on the straight and narrow

As with Aven’s other books, the epilogue gave me the warm and fuzzies. I love this series, and can’t wait for more Dallas Demons in book 3. I hope we see more from Nate and Kenley, and also Kylie and Harrison too!

Revolution (The Revelation Series Book 4)
Revolution (The Revelation Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, 31 May 2015
**spoilers ahead if you haven't read the first three books in the series**

Arghhhhh!!
Randi Cooley Wilson did it again! She left me on the brink, waiting for the next instalment. Seriously, I need Restoration. NOW! It will be a bittersweet moment for me though, when that book is in my hands, because that will mean this adventure is nearly over, and I am so not ready to say goodbye to these characters.

Revolution picks up right where Redemption ended. Eve, having betrayed Asher in the worst possibly way for a gargoyle to imagine, now has to accept the consequence of her actions. Despite her intentions being pure, in that she was sacrificing her love for Asher in order to save another she loved, she knows there will be no going back, Asher will never forgive her and it will be hard for her to live without him. I can’t say I blame her, that guy is SMOKING! I’m sure it’s no secret by now that I have a soft spot for this super sexy gargoyle.

As she moves forward in her quest to save Elizabeth, she soon learns that the St Michael clan aren’t going to give up their oath to protect her anytime soon, so with an air of animosity between them, they will have to find a way to continue to work together. Whether they can build bridges will remain to be seen. One thing is for certain, Asher has been left feeling betrayed, Keegan and McKenna are more hostile towards Eve than usual, and even her allies Abby and Callan are disappointed in her. Eve has a lot of apologising to do and will need to work hard to rebuild the trust between her and Asher. I hoped they would kiss and make up, (and do it soon!) because this duo are best when they’re together, and are more formidable when they unite. I wanted Eve to break the cycle of running away, to listen to Asher and accept that sometimes he does know best!

The book was fast paced, full of twists and turns, and I couldn’t put it down once I started. Which is why its taken me until now to read it. I’ve had the ARC for a while, but I knew once I started I wouldn’t want to (or be able to) put it down, so I had to bide my time and wait until I had the time to sit and read uninterrupted until I was done. It was worth the wait! This is the penultimate book of the series, everything is starting to come together. Lines have been drawn, allegiances have been made, and the traitors are being drawn out of hiding. I had so many theories on the identity of the traitor, but Randi kept me guessing until the very end! I also have to give a special mention to my new favourite Angel, Uriel. What a hoot he was! He took his Uncle duties very seriously, and I hope to see more of ‘Uncle Urie’ in Restoration.​

Redemption (The Revelation Series Book 3)
Redemption (The Revelation Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite yet - I love this series!, 25 May 2015
*warning - spoilers ahead if you haven't read the first two books*

I have been desperate to read Redemption following the shocking end of Restraint! Asher had gone, Gage was back, as Eve’s protector no less, much to Eve’s disdain. What would become of Asher, my favourite Gargoyle?

Well fear not, because he does return, but not before poor Eve has to suffer withdrawal symptoms due his lack of presence. Literally – because they have been bonded, Eve feels his disappearance and it leaves her devastated. I felt her emptiness as she struggled to cope, and I worried for the future. I may have started to like Gage by the end of the last book, but as Eve’s full time companion? hmmm not that much! I’m Team Asher all the way!

Of course with Asher gone this leaves Eve with a decision – struggle on with the emptiness and pain, or fight it and move onwards until Asher is able to return. After some tough love from Mckenna and Abby she pulls herself up and is ready to start back with her training. Eve decides to try and find out more about the new world she has been thrown in to, but sometimes you get more than you bargained for. There are one or two discoveries that leave Eve reeling from shock, there was one I didn’t see coming, and it was HUGE!

Even though I’m still not sure whether Gage can be trusted, I did enjoy seeing him as Eve’s protector. He didn’t lie to her, he helped her find answers, and most impressively he brought her out of the paranormal world she had come to accept as normal, and made her face her life as a college student – which had some pretty funny consequences! I love how Gage doesn’t treat Eve as though she’s made of glass. He makes her fend for herself, he lets her trip up, make mistakes, so that she can learn from them. The St Michael clan wrap her in cotton wool, and it’s good that she has that chance to experience more. Of course that means more peril, more demons, and more fighting.

With Asher’s eventual return comes more of the blazing chemistry between him and Eve. I thought I was going to combust from the tension between the two of them in Redemption, this one had me on fire! I was desperate for these two to give in to passion and GET IT ON! I esecially wanted to hear more about THAT piercing…. Eve sure is a lucky girl

I flove Asher, I could read about him all day long! Just when I was starting to think things were as they should be, and everything was right in the Collins/St Michael world, Randi goes and throws another spanner in the works, leaving me open mouthed and wondering what in Hell (pun intended!) is going to happen next! I hope Randi Cooley Wilson is busy writing right now, because I need book 4 STAT!

“when this is all over, when all battles have been fought and won, it’s you and me, siren. I promise. I’ll fight for us. I’ll light the world on fire if I have to. If it takes my last damn breath, I will lay my sword at your feet in front of every realm and every being in existence. Claiming you as mine forever” (less)

Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading
Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book to get you in the mood for summer. It has sun, sea, sand and .... ouzo!, 22 May 2015
This is the perfect summer read, you can just imagine lying on those sunbeds, basking in the sun, walking down Sidari high street and calling into The Smugglers Inn for some proper English food. Actually, I don't need to imagine it, I've been there and got the t-shirt! (And they do a lush Sunday dinner!)
I loved this heartwarming and funny tale of self discovery and new beginnings. Ellen and Lacey expected to spend the week planning a wedding but you know what they say, 'the best laid plans of mice and men...' and things definitely don't go to plan on this trip!
I enjoyed seeing Ellen come out of her shell and start to enjoy herself, she arrived carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders and I felt so sorry for her. Yan was just so damn lovely, it was hard for her to resist his charms for long, and I can't say I blame her either. I wondered how much they could really get to know each other in a week, and what would happen once the holiday was over. I loved how their friendship developed, and seeing them open up to each other. It was very touching, and I finished reading with tears in my eyes.
I'm basking in a feelgood glow after reading this lovely story, Mandy Baggot has captured that holiday feeling so perfectly and has me chomping at the bit for my own Greek holiday later this year! OPA!!

The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Before you think that this is going to be a depressing and sad story, I’ll stop you right there, 14 May 2015
What a refreshingly different book this was. I’ve never read a story told from the point of view of a dead person before! Before you think that this is going to be a depressing and sad story, I’ll stop you right there. This was not like The Lovely Bones, yes our heroine is dead, and she’s on a mission to find out how she woke up dead in bed, but I found myself laughing throughout this book.

Rosie Potter is a twenty something Irish girl, who wakes up with a banging headache and a very messy bedroom. Thinking she’s been burgled, she calls out for her house mate and best friend Jenny but then gets the shock of her life at what happens next. Discovering your dead body, lying in bed with a serious head wound would be enough to send anyone running for the hills, but not Rosie. She decides that the reason she is still here must be to find the culprit and bring him to justice.

As Rosie sets about her mission to find her killer, she also visits her family, hoping that somehow her presence will be felt and be of some comfort to them. She hangs around town, listening in on conversations, she tries to communicate with Jack, (her boyfriend) Jenny and her family but no one can hear her. Just as she starts thinking that she is going to be on her own, she finds a surprising ally, someone who can see and hear her perfectly well.

With someone in the land of the living helping her, Rosie sets out to expose her killer, and stop them from hurting anyone else, and whilst this sounds like it could be a plot from a thrilling murder mystery, it was actually more like a comedy. What would you do if you could come back to haunt someone? Someone who had done you wrong? Imagine the possibilities! I laughed at the antics Rosie got up to, and the reactions of her suspected killer!

I loved the relationship Rosie had with her ally. You could see they were perfect for each other, apart from the fact that Rosie was dead. How ironic that you find the love of your life when yours has just ended. It was quite sad really and I found myself thinking of Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore in Ghost. I felt so sorry for them, but then the film itself was actually quoted, which made me laugh again!

I’m excitedly hissing in his ear, ‘Maybe you should tell her I’m here. You can be like Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, giving her messages from me and stuff. Go on, tell her I said “Hullooooooo” in a big spooky voice.’

The story picked up pace towards the end, with one shocker that I didn’t see coming. Things certainly weren’t as clear cut as it had seemed, but I was happy with how it ended.

I really enjoyed this book, it was a refreshing spin on the paranormal genre. The heroine was likeable, and her acceptance of her sudden demise was utterly charming. There was a very poignant message in the book also, to take each day and live it as though it’s your last. You never know what’s round the corner, you think you have all the time in the world, until suddenly, you don’t. Things that needed to be said are left unsaid, actions are left undone, and eternity is a long time to spend regretting something.

This is the man I should have been with. The man I could have made a life with, the man I always knew deep down inside I wanted more than anything in the world. I wasted so much time, because I didn’t know that my time was so severely limited. And now my hands are completely tied. There’s no possible way I can ever have that life now; the sweet, sweet life that suddenly seems so clear, so obvious, so tantalisingly close. I could almost reach out and touch it. I don’t have any life anymore, I’m just clinging on by my fingertips to the remnants of my old, snuffed out version. I don’t want to be here any longer – it’s too hard. I want to go wherever it is I’m supposed to be going. Why am I still here anyway?

I loved the sentiment of this story – it made me laugh, it made me think, and the end left me with tears in my eyes. This was a very good debut from the author, and I hope to see more books from Kate Winter in the very near future.

Under the Influence
Under the Influence

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Under the Influence of Dalton Greer!, 11 May 2015
I’ve been waiting for this book for what feels like forever and boy was I rewarded for my patience! The teasers had already done their job and had me hooked on this story before it even started. This tale of friendship, love and second chances was everything I was hoping for and more.

Dalton and Spencer had been together since they were 12, childhood friends but nothing more although Spencer harboured what she thought was an unrequited crush on Dalton. Finally spurred into action, thanks to a cunning plan by Cassie (Spencer’s best friend) Dalton admits his feelings but he thinks he is too much of a risk to Spencer. He’s damaged and has been pulled into a life he has no way of escaping. He doesn’t want to bring Spencer down with him and he doesn’t think she fully understands the demons he has to battle.

“I want you, Spence, but I can’t have you. I won’t allow it. You’re too good, too pure, too innocent, and just as your presence soothes me, mine will eventually flaw you. It’s inevitable, and I care too much for you to let that happen.”

Little does Dalton realise, Spencer has her own demons, and she’s a lot stronger than he thinks. I loved watching their friendship develop into a relationship. The transition was seamless, there was no awkwardness or shyness, this was what they’d been waiting for and they weren’t going to waste another minute. Unfortunately, life had other plans and things got dangerously close to home, too close for Dalton’s liking and he had to make the most difficult decision of his life. He had no choice, he would do anything to keep Spencer safe, but in doing so, he also broke her.

The story is told in three parts, and I love the way L.B. Simmons went with it. The first part is where we’re introduced to Dalton, Spencer, and also Cassie, Rat (Dalton’s brother in arms), and Lawson, who will go on to become a pivotal part of Dalton’s life. We see the characters as 18 year olds, with their whole lives ahead of them. We see Spencer experience her firsts with Dalton, and also the dynamics of their relationships with those around them. And we see those characters torn apart by circumstances beyond their control. Part two broke me! I cried for Spencer, for her loneliness, I cried for Dalton, for his pain and I loved him even more for his selflessness. He put Spencer’s safety above his happiness, everything he did was with her in mind. I hoped that the wheels that had been put in motion would come to fruition and it would be worth all the heartbreak. Part three is about redemption, forgiveness, and second chances. I can’t say too much more as I don’t want to spoil the story.

I have to give Cassie and Rat special mentions too. I loved Cassie, she had a heart of gold and was there every step of the way for Spencer. Every girl should have a friend like Cassie. She also deserves a nomination for ‘Best Line in a Book’ after coming out with this little beauty “I’m totally serious Spence, I swear on my Kindle”. I knew then that Cassie was a girl after my own heart! And then there’s Rat, living the same life as Dalton, and the only one who knew both sides of him. I laughed at some of the things that he came out with, and I shed tears at the unfair hand he was dealt.

This is one of those stories where I just want to shout “ONE CLICK THIS BOOK NOW!” because L.B. Simmons absolutely nailed it!

Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
by Hart Saint Germain

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too many points of view - there are 8 in total!, 13 April 2015
It wasn't what I expected - I bought it expecting a Mafia thriller, but it was far from that. I haven't read either of these authors before, but I was intrigued by the blurb. I knew it was the first book in a series but I expected more action than there actually was. There was more sex in it than violence, and it was more erotica than a gangster thriller. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not what I was expecting. It was really hard to get into, far too many points of view. I counted 8. Eight different viewpoints. That's a lot for any book, let alone a book that is only 159 pages long. It was confusing and made it hard to care enough about the characters to want to read the second book.

Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)
Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this series, I loved Ally, and I loved Elpidio!, 29 Mar. 2015
I think this book just took over as favourite of the series! I loved it all!
After all the teasers we finally find out who Elpidio is, and like Ally, he has my heart.
It was heartbreaking, poignant and bittersweet, Elpidio had come through a terrible life believing he wasn't worth of love, but Ally gave him hope, and she was his salvation.
I've loved reading this series and I'm sad to say goodbye to the characters, but Tillie Cole made sure the series ended on a high! Also, you'll probably need tissues, and maybe you should read the book in private and not at work like I did - I shed a few tears throughout this book, then the epilogue AND the bonus chapter had me bawling like a baby!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16