Profile for Jo Blogs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
by Hart Saint Germain

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too many points of view - there are 8 in total!, 13 April 2015
It wasn't what I expected - I bought it expecting a Mafia thriller, but it was far from that. I haven't read either of these authors before, but I was intrigued by the blurb. I knew it was the first book in a series but I expected more action than there actually was. There was more sex in it than violence, and it was more erotica than a gangster thriller. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not what I was expecting. It was really hard to get into, far too many points of view. I counted 8. Eight different viewpoints. That's a lot for any book, let alone a book that is only 159 pages long. It was confusing and made it hard to care enough about the characters to want to read the second book.

Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)
Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this series, I loved Ally, and I loved Elpidio!, 29 Mar. 2015
I think this book just took over as favourite of the series! I loved it all!
After all the teasers we finally find out who Elpidio is, and like Ally, he has my heart.
It was heartbreaking, poignant and bittersweet, Elpidio had come through a terrible life believing he wasn't worth of love, but Ally gave him hope, and she was his salvation.
I've loved reading this series and I'm sad to say goodbye to the characters, but Tillie Cole made sure the series ended on a high! Also, you'll probably need tissues, and maybe you should read the book in private and not at work like I did - I shed a few tears throughout this book, then the epilogue AND the bonus chapter had me bawling like a baby!

His Only Wife (The Compound Series #1.5)
His Only Wife (The Compound Series #1.5)

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet novella and fitting end to Brin and Porter's story, 29 Mar. 2015
Wife Number Seven was one of my favourite books of last year, so when I heard Melissa Brown was giving Brin and Porter a follow up novella I was really excited! Before you go any further, I have to say that you need to read WN7 before you read this book.

This was a quick read for me, and I really enjoyed it. The story picks up 3 years after the end of Wife Number Seven. Brin and Porter are living together, but it hasn’t been all plain sailing. They have faced their share of trials, but still manage to come out on top. We get both Brin and Porter’s point of view in this story, and Porter explains the battles he has faced with his addiction, and how he manages it. I loved catching up with them, seeing the natural progression of their relationship, and Porter’s desire to take it to the next stage.

There are a few friends that they are able to count on, Tiffany is still part of their lives, and I loved seeing Porters relationship with his sponsor Jesse, but I wasn’t particularly fond of the way the story switched to a third party narrative for Tiffany’s chapter.

Melissa Brown has given Brinley and Porter a really sweet, and very fitting end to their story, and the final part was just perfect!

Revved
Revved

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, smoking hot romance!, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Revved (Kindle Edition)
Over two years ago, on a cold Sunday in December, I picked up my kindle and started reading a book about a journalist and a rock star, I was so engrossed in it that I didn’t move from the couch until I was done hours later. That book was The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle, and history repeated itself this Sunday when I picked up Revved!

I’ve never read a book set in the world of Formula One racing, I’ve never been interested in F1 at all. It’s always been that annoying noise in the background on a Sunday afternoon, but I was hooked from the explosive prologue, and couldn’t put it down until the book was finished. I loved that the setting was different to the usual books I’ve been reading, in that the hero Carrick was a Formula One race car driver, and our heroine Andi was a female mechanic in a very male dominated world.

I loved how confident Andi was, and the relationship she had with her ‘Uncle John’ who was a father figure to her. There were times when I just wanted to shake some sense into her though. Her reluctance to get involved with Carrick was understandable but I wanted her tell him her fears, so that he would understand instead of the poor guy feeling confused and hurt.

I laughed at how Andi quickly put Carrick in his place at their first meeting, but after that, they settled into a friendly relationship which was really quite sweet. The banter they had with each other was funny, but there was always the underlying attraction, smouldering away and I knew it was only a matter of time before they caved.

“I can’t do this anymore, Andressa. I thought I could handle just being your friend, but I can’t. I’m tired of pretending, pretending that I don’t feel what I feel for you. I want you, and it’s not going away. And I know you feel the same. I can see it in your eyes…feel it in your body.”

Now we get to the man himself…. O.M.G. Carrick Ryan! HOT DAMN! *fans self* He’s the star of Formula 1, the young Irish boy done good. He’s not used to women saying “No” to him so when Andi fails to succumb to his charms he’s bemused. He was so confident and cocky yet as the book went on you could see he has a vulnerable side, the side no one gets to see. He’s afraid of rejection so Andi blowing hot and cold with him has his emotions all over the place. I really felt for him when Andi would get cold feet and try to bail out, and I wondered how much more he would be able to take.

“From the moment I met you, Andressa, I thought you were strong, maybe the strongest person I’d ever met, and I admired that about you.” He lets out a staggered breath. “But I’ve come to realize something.” He leans in to me, his face close to mine. I suck in a breath at the absolute blackness in his eyes, feeling it closing in all around me. “You’re not strong. You’re a coward. And I’m done.”

There are so many things I want to mention, but I don’t want to spoil the story. I’m going to throw some words out that will sound random now but once you read it, you’ll know what I mean….. Lightning McQueen, the stairwell, and the car auction are all words that stir up my emotions just thinking about the scenes that they refer to.

In a nutshell, this book had everything I like in a story. I cried, I laughed, I seethed, I cheered, and I nearly combusted! The chemistry between the two main characters was smoking hot, and I loved every minute of it! If you’re looking for a fast paced standalone story with a feisty heroine and a hot, cocky but sensitive hero then this is your book.

Cement Heart
Cement Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Viper is full of surprises!, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Cement Heart (Kindle Edition)
What can I say about this book that will convey how much I loved it, without giving away any spoilers? I went into this book without reading the blurb or any other reviews. I knew it was Vipers book, but that was it. I was ready to laugh, and to see Viper get a taste of his own medicine. I thought I was going to see the legendary player get played. How wrong I was! I'm not going to say a whole lot about the story because I think going in blind is the best way to enjoy this story. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

The book started off just as I expected, with Viper in the midst of his *ahem* 'exploits'. He's quite happy with his life, and has no intention of anything changing any time soon. He has his women, he has his hockey, and he has Gam. Gam is his elderly grandmother, the only family he has. I loved her! She may be old, but that doesn't stop her having fun, and the things she came out with had me laughing!

I had seen a few comments on the author's facebook page, with people saying they had been laughing one minute, then crying the next. It made me curious, I mean, why would Vipers story make people cry. Well, around 30% into the book I found out. And yes, I cried too. Beth threw me a curveball because I did not see it coming, and I had to wonder how Viper would come back from that. What followed was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. Viper spiralled into depression but then he found something to cling on to, someone to make his days a bit brighter and gradually his 'Cement Heart' softened. The guy who you would least expect to mature, really stepped up to the mark, and I loved watching the transformation!

I loved the other books in Beth's Cranberry Inn series, so I was really pleased to see Kacie and Brodie pop up from time to time, and see what was going on with them. Beth Ehemann has a way of drawing you into the world of her characters, you feel like you're there with them, and you care what happens to them. I love that the situations they find themselves in are true to life. You can put yourself in their shoes, you envisage how you would handle it, and in this case, you pray that you would never have to. This book really makes you think. You get one shot at life, and if you get a chance to be happy, you should grab it with both hands, because you never know whats round the corner. As Forrest Gump's momma said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."
I hope that there are more books to come from this series, I really, REALLY want Andy's story, and of course I'll be hoping to see more of Brody, Kacie, Viper and ..... Nope! My lips are sealed! You'll have to read this book to find out who ;)

5 Stars

Waiting for April
Waiting for April

5.0 out of 5 stars A paranormal with a difference!, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Waiting for April (Kindle Edition)
I was drawn to this book partly by the cover, but also the blurb intrigued me. I love paranormal stories but lately its hard to find one that doesn't have vampires and werewolves in. This one was completely different, and refreshing. It explores the concept of reincarnation and immortality, throw in two lovers that are destined to be together but somehow get torn apart time and time again for the last three hundred years, and you have yourself a great story. There were twists and turns aplenty in this book, ones that I didn't see coming. I loved Scott and April, and as the story really started to pick up pace towards the end I hoped that this time April would make it past her 18th birthday. There are still so many things that have been left unresolved, so I am hoping there's going to be a second book. Great debut book from Jaime Loren.

*Review copy recieved via NetGalley*

A Stone in the Sea (A Bleeding Stars Novel Book 1)
A Stone in the Sea (A Bleeding Stars Novel Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, but it didn't wow me, 27 Feb. 2015
3.5 stars

This is a really hard review to write, and it's going to be a short one. The reason for this is that although I enjoyed reading this book, it didn't wow me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It wasn't a bad book, not at all, but it was just a regular read for me. It didn't stand out as spectacular, it didn't give me the feels, but it also wasn't a book that I thought `meh' about. It's hard to put into words. I think maybe I've been spoilt in the past with Ms Jackson's writing. Her books have always pulled me in from the very beginning, and the emotion in her stories has enveloped me completely, but with this story I just didn't get that. Now, I am also a strong believer that a book can relate to different readers in different ways, and it can also depend on the mood of the reader at that time. At another point in time I could perceive the book differently, but I have to call it as I see it now.

So what did I like? I liked the two main characters, in fact I loved them. They were both carrying a lot of weight on their shoulders and had resigned themselves to a life on their own, with no significant other to share it with. They believed they had too much baggage to carry, and they didn't want to drag anyone else into their lives. They were drawn to each other, probably because they had so much in common but didn't even realise it. I liked the background characters too, especially Shea's uncle Charlie, and the other Sunder band members. I loved how the guys all looked out for each other and had Sebastian's back all the way.

Shea and Sebastian (aka Baz) are both holding secrets and this lead to one of my gripes. As the book is told from the point of view of both characters, we know that they have secrets, but there are only hints at what they are hiding. There is a pivotal part of the book where Shea discovers something about Baz and she is devastated and feels betrayed, yet I thought that was very hypocritical of her given that she has been hiding something from him!

I guessed pretty early on in the book what Shea's secret was, so when it was revealed it wasn't a huge shock to me, however the way it came out was, and I did not expect it to end that way! I am interested to see what happens next, and what's in store for Baz and Shea. I think they both have issues that need resolving before they can move on, but as this is the first book in a trilogy there is plenty of time for that.

Thoughtful (Thoughtless)
Thoughtful (Thoughtless)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Kellan Kyle, you'll love this!, 24 Feb. 2015
I've been waiting for this book for what feels like forever, and it did not disappoint. Thoughtful was everything I was expecting and more. SC Stephens and Kellan Kyle have left me an emotional wreck, but it was SO worth it!

I didn't think I could possibly love Kellan Kyle any more but I was wrong. From the first chapter I knew this book was going to wreck me, and wreck me it did. It was Heaven and Hell all rolled into one. Heaven because I was back with Kellan again, and inside his head, but Hell because I had to see my man tortured and in pain. It wasn't just the pain from his situation with Kiera and Denny though, the glimpses of his pitiful childhood were heartbreaking. You will need tissues with this book, that's for sure!

I loved seeing the events of the first book unfold through Kellan's point of view. There were so many things I wanted to experience through his eyes, such as how he felt the first time he met Kiera, what was going on his head after their first time together, his torment over betraying Denny, and I wasn't left disappointed.

"I wanted to stroke her hair, cup her cheek, kiss her forehead. A surging desire was building in me to put both my arms around her and hold her tight. To tell her how much she meant to me, that no one saw me the way she did, no one cared for me the way she did. To tell her I cared about her in a way that sometimes scared the crap out of me. She was comfort and pain, wrapped up in one beautiful package...that wasn't mine."

I hated Kiera in Thoughtless, I wanted to grab her and shake some sense into her, and this book made me want to slap her silly. She put Kellan through hell, and he was messed up big style. She really did a number on him. He had finally found someone he connected with, who saw him for who he was inside, but she loved his best friend. He had to endure some pretty torturous situations, including overhearing Kiera and Denny in bed together.

"There was no way in hell I was staying here, listening to that. Not after I'd had her. Not after I'd figured out how much I loved her. Pain tightened around my chest, making it hard to breathe, hard to think, hard to do anything. I loved her so much, and she didn't give a s*** about me at all. She didn't want me. No one wanted me"

My heart broke for him more than once in this book, I just wanted him to be happy. His parents had never shown him any love whatsoever, the only person who had been there for him had been Denny and now he was betraying him. Thankfully he had his band mates to rely on. I loved seeing the relationship between the guys and there were some pretty comical moments (usually courtesy of Griffin) that provided some much needed light relief from all the angst! The relationship between Kellan and Evan was particularly strong, and I think Evan understood what was going on between Kellan and Kiera even before they did.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, Ms Stephens still managed to put a fresh spin on it and kept me hooked until the last page. The moment when Denny discovered the betrayal had my heart pounding and the subsequent fall out knocked me sick and had me in tears. It was just an impossible situation for all of them.

This book KILLED me! It had ALL THE FEELS. I cried buckets for Kellan, I hated Kiera all over again, and I just didn't want it to end. Now I want to read it all over again, along with the other three books in the series. Fans of Kellan Kyle will love this!

By Any Other Name (Forbidden Book 1)
By Any Other Name (Forbidden Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this modern day spin on Romeo and Juliet!, 23 Feb. 2015
I love JM Darhowers books, and this one was no exception. This story was a modern day spin on Romeo and Juliet, only instead of the Capulets and Montagues we have the Galante and Barsanti families, and the setting is the streets of New York.

Genna is the 18 year old daughter of Primo Galante, head of one of five families controlling the neighborhoods of New York. Matteo is the eldest son of Roberto, who is head of the Barsanti family and also the Galante's deadliest rivals. And when I say deadly, I mean deadly. Blood has been spilled, and it devastated the Galante family so much that there will never be peace between the two. They hate each other with a vengeance and Genna has been brought up knowing that Barsanti = evil.

"The only good Barsanti is a dead Barsanti," he'd said. "You see one, you run the other way."

Genna would never look at a Barsanti let alone talk to one. Until a chance encounter in a lift leaves her unwittingly striking up conversation with her mortal enemy and their fate is sealed. The banter between them is quick and witty, the chemistry between them is electric, and Matt is full of innuendo!

A sly smile curved his lips. "I like to keep them coming." "Is that right?" "Absolutely." He stood, leaning across the table, his lips near her ear. "Maybe you'll let me show you later."

It's not long before he gets that chance to show Genna exactly what he means! WOW that man is H.O.T.! He falls quick, and he falls hard. He's not cut out for the life his father and brother live, and meeting Genna brings him some sunshine in his otherwise dark world.

"I didn't think you could be any more beautiful... then you screamed my name"

With neither realizing who they're really talking to, they fall for each other, and by the time they finally realize the true identity of the other it's too late. They're in too deep and past the point of no return. You could feel the horror in Genna when she spots Matty across the street while out with her brother Dante and he points out Matteo Barsanti - the prodigal son returned. He has been away for years so no wonder they didn't know who the other was. She had finally found someone who made her heart skip a beat and now it turns out he's the enemy. Poor Matty was in the same predicament. He hates the life his father and younger brother lead, if it hadn't been for the fact his mother is ill he wouldn't have come back home. He found a girl who had intrigued him and made him want more, but now he can't have her.

"I get it. You didn't expect this, you didn't expect me to be who I am, but I didn't either, Genna. I didn't expect you to be one of them. But you are, and I am. It is what it is. I've done everything I can think of to get you to put some trust in me, so tell me... what else can I possibly do? What do you need me to do? Because I'll do it, whatever it is."

What follows is a story of cat and mouse, with the lovers trying to conduct a relationship without getting caught, because the hatred between the families is so fierce that one or both of them could end up dead. As they get deeper into their relationship, they take bigger risks and it's only a matter of time before someone catches them. The tension in the book was unbearable at times, and there were some moments where my heart was pounding wondering what was going to happen next!

I love Ms. Darhowers writing I feel as though I am there watching it unfold in front of me, and I particularly like the third person narrative so that we get to see what not only the main characters are thinking but also the secondary characters too. I loved Matty B and Genna (if you haven't guessed already!), but I also loved Dante, he would do anything for Genna. Anything. Even disobey their father. I definitely want to see more of him!

The end of this book had me on the edge of my seat and I was literally gripping my kindle in fear for the characters. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and was left open-mouthed at the climax of the events unfolding. I have so many questions, but I can't voice them because it could spoil the story, needless to say, I'm eagerly waiting the next book!

Frenched (Mia and Lucas)
Frenched (Mia and Lucas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, hot, and romance all rolled into one fab book!, 22 Feb. 2015
Loved it! I picked this one up as a freebie, and had a quick glance at it. A quick glance turned into 'Ill finish the first chapter", which turned into "I'll read a few more chapters" until I realised I was nearly finished!
I loved Lucas, I loved Mia, and I loved the lists. It was funny, it was hot, and it with its setting in Paris, the city of love, it was romance at it's best!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15