Profile for Jo Blogs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Thoughtful (Thoughtless)
Thoughtful (Thoughtless)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Kellan Kyle, you'll love this!, 24 Feb. 2015
I've been waiting for this book for what feels like forever, and it did not disappoint. Thoughtful was everything I was expecting and more. SC Stephens and Kellan Kyle have left me an emotional wreck, but it was SO worth it!

I didn't think I could possibly love Kellan Kyle any more but I was wrong. From the first chapter I knew this book was going to wreck me, and wreck me it did. It was Heaven and Hell all rolled into one. Heaven because I was back with Kellan again, and inside his head, but Hell because I had to see my man tortured and in pain. It wasn't just the pain from his situation with Kiera and Denny though, the glimpses of his pitiful childhood were heartbreaking. You will need tissues with this book, that's for sure!

I loved seeing the events of the first book unfold through Kellan's point of view. There were so many things I wanted to experience through his eyes, such as how he felt the first time he met Kiera, what was going on his head after their first time together, his torment over betraying Denny, and I wasn't left disappointed.

"I wanted to stroke her hair, cup her cheek, kiss her forehead. A surging desire was building in me to put both my arms around her and hold her tight. To tell her how much she meant to me, that no one saw me the way she did, no one cared for me the way she did. To tell her I cared about her in a way that sometimes scared the crap out of me. She was comfort and pain, wrapped up in one beautiful package...that wasn't mine."

I hated Kiera in Thoughtless, I wanted to grab her and shake some sense into her, and this book made me want to slap her silly. She put Kellan through hell, and he was messed up big style. She really did a number on him. He had finally found someone he connected with, who saw him for who he was inside, but she loved his best friend. He had to endure some pretty torturous situations, including overhearing Kiera and Denny in bed together.

"There was no way in hell I was staying here, listening to that. Not after I'd had her. Not after I'd figured out how much I loved her. Pain tightened around my chest, making it hard to breathe, hard to think, hard to do anything. I loved her so much, and she didn't give a s*** about me at all. She didn't want me. No one wanted me"

My heart broke for him more than once in this book, I just wanted him to be happy. His parents had never shown him any love whatsoever, the only person who had been there for him had been Denny and now he was betraying him. Thankfully he had his band mates to rely on. I loved seeing the relationship between the guys and there were some pretty comical moments (usually courtesy of Griffin) that provided some much needed light relief from all the angst! The relationship between Kellan and Evan was particularly strong, and I think Evan understood what was going on between Kellan and Kiera even before they did.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, Ms Stephens still managed to put a fresh spin on it and kept me hooked until the last page. The moment when Denny discovered the betrayal had my heart pounding and the subsequent fall out knocked me sick and had me in tears. It was just an impossible situation for all of them.

This book KILLED me! It had ALL THE FEELS. I cried buckets for Kellan, I hated Kiera all over again, and I just didn't want it to end. Now I want to read it all over again, along with the other three books in the series. Fans of Kellan Kyle will love this!

By Any Other Name (Forbidden Book 1)
By Any Other Name (Forbidden Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this modern day spin on Romeo and Juliet!, 23 Feb. 2015
I love JM Darhowers books, and this one was no exception. This story was a modern day spin on Romeo and Juliet, only instead of the Capulets and Montagues we have the Galante and Barsanti families, and the setting is the streets of New York.

Genna is the 18 year old daughter of Primo Galante, head of one of five families controlling the neighborhoods of New York. Matteo is the eldest son of Roberto, who is head of the Barsanti family and also the Galante's deadliest rivals. And when I say deadly, I mean deadly. Blood has been spilled, and it devastated the Galante family so much that there will never be peace between the two. They hate each other with a vengeance and Genna has been brought up knowing that Barsanti = evil.

"The only good Barsanti is a dead Barsanti," he'd said. "You see one, you run the other way."

Genna would never look at a Barsanti let alone talk to one. Until a chance encounter in a lift leaves her unwittingly striking up conversation with her mortal enemy and their fate is sealed. The banter between them is quick and witty, the chemistry between them is electric, and Matt is full of innuendo!

A sly smile curved his lips. "I like to keep them coming." "Is that right?" "Absolutely." He stood, leaning across the table, his lips near her ear. "Maybe you'll let me show you later."

It's not long before he gets that chance to show Genna exactly what he means! WOW that man is H.O.T.! He falls quick, and he falls hard. He's not cut out for the life his father and brother live, and meeting Genna brings him some sunshine in his otherwise dark world.

"I didn't think you could be any more beautiful... then you screamed my name"

With neither realizing who they're really talking to, they fall for each other, and by the time they finally realize the true identity of the other it's too late. They're in too deep and past the point of no return. You could feel the horror in Genna when she spots Matty across the street while out with her brother Dante and he points out Matteo Barsanti - the prodigal son returned. He has been away for years so no wonder they didn't know who the other was. She had finally found someone who made her heart skip a beat and now it turns out he's the enemy. Poor Matty was in the same predicament. He hates the life his father and younger brother lead, if it hadn't been for the fact his mother is ill he wouldn't have come back home. He found a girl who had intrigued him and made him want more, but now he can't have her.

"I get it. You didn't expect this, you didn't expect me to be who I am, but I didn't either, Genna. I didn't expect you to be one of them. But you are, and I am. It is what it is. I've done everything I can think of to get you to put some trust in me, so tell me... what else can I possibly do? What do you need me to do? Because I'll do it, whatever it is."

What follows is a story of cat and mouse, with the lovers trying to conduct a relationship without getting caught, because the hatred between the families is so fierce that one or both of them could end up dead. As they get deeper into their relationship, they take bigger risks and it's only a matter of time before someone catches them. The tension in the book was unbearable at times, and there were some moments where my heart was pounding wondering what was going to happen next!

I love Ms. Darhowers writing I feel as though I am there watching it unfold in front of me, and I particularly like the third person narrative so that we get to see what not only the main characters are thinking but also the secondary characters too. I loved Matty B and Genna (if you haven't guessed already!), but I also loved Dante, he would do anything for Genna. Anything. Even disobey their father. I definitely want to see more of him!

The end of this book had me on the edge of my seat and I was literally gripping my kindle in fear for the characters. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough and was left open-mouthed at the climax of the events unfolding. I have so many questions, but I can't voice them because it could spoil the story, needless to say, I'm eagerly waiting the next book!

Frenched
Frenched

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, hot, and romance all rolled into one fab book!, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Frenched (Kindle Edition)
Loved it! I picked this one up as a freebie, and had a quick glance at it. A quick glance turned into 'Ill finish the first chapter", which turned into "I'll read a few more chapters" until I realised I was nearly finished!
I loved Lucas, I loved Mia, and I loved the lists. It was funny, it was hot, and it with its setting in Paris, the city of love, it was romance at it's best!

Snowflakes & Fire Escapes
Snowflakes & Fire Escapes

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection. Again., 8 Feb. 2015
Another amazing story from JM Darhower. I loved this tale of young love, I loved Cody and Gracie, and I'd love to read more about them. I devour everything this author writes, and at this point I would even read her shopping list!

The Traveling Man (Traveling Series #1)
The Traveling Man (Traveling Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll up Roll up! The Carnival is in town and you're going to want to meet Kes Donohue!, 27 Jan. 2015
'The little man edged closer, his face inches from mine. "You've been sprinkled with fairy dust, missy. The carnival is in your blood now." '

I'm finding it hard to put into words how much I loved this book. I went into the story with little knowledge of what it was about, other than it was set around a carnival, and I certainly didn't know that it was book one of a duet. That's a good thing though, a really good thing, because that means I get more of Kes Donohue, and I can't wait because Kes has stolen my heart.

The story is centred around Kes and Aimee, and we first meet them when they are 10 years old. Aimee is so excited when the carnival arrives in town for the very first time, especially as it falls on her birthday and she gets to choose where the family will spend the day. From the moment the trucks roll in, thundering past her house, she is mesmerised and can't contain her excitement. To Aimee the carnival is magical, the stuff of dreams, and her excitement was catching!

"I was old enough to know that magic didn't exist, and young enough to hope that I was wrong. I was sure that if magic belongs anywhere in the world, it was living and breathing right across the road in Mr. Peterson's field."

When Aimee arrives at the show ground, a boy catches her attention and she slips away from her family to talk to him, and from that point her a friendship is formed that will last for many summers to come. The boy is Kes and he lives among the "carnies". He opens her eyes to a whole new world, showing her around the carnival and introducing her to a different way of life.

'Kes gave me his shy smile again and my heart was captured from that moment. I didn't know it then; I didn't understand what it meant, but whenever I looked at him, my skin felt warm, like my own personal sun was shining just for me.'

This book is in two parts, in the first part we get to know Aimee and Kes as young children and watch them grow into teenagers, and the second part we catch up with them as adults 8 years down the line. The first part of the story is very much like a YA story, it captures the innocence of young love, the tenderness, the nervousness and the anticipation.

"Can I kiss you?" he asked, softly as if he was sure I'd say no. I took a deep breath. My first kiss was going to be at the top of a Ferris wheel. I'd never heard of anything more romantic. "Okay," I said, wiping my mouth with my sleeve. Kes leaned in and I felt his dry lips press against my cheek. I turned to stare at him and he was grinning, looking inordinately proud of himself.
We held hands for the rest of the ride, and I'd never been happier.

I loved how Aimee and Kes were inseparable for two weeks every summer, never forgetting each other and growing from childhood friends to young teens in love. As Kes grew into a young man he drew more attention from girls, but Aimee was the only one for him. His need to make her happy was so endearing, I couldn't help but fall for him. He has a vulnerability about him, that only Aimee and his family sees, and he trusts Aimee implicitly. His issues make him lash out at those closest to him, but Aimee gives as good as she gets and challenges Kes where others would back down. Their love and friendship was so sweet, and it made me nostalgic for the summer, when (in the words of Bryan Adams) the days seemed to last for ever....

When we catch up with Kes and Aimee as adults, they're older, wiser and real life responsibilities have changed them. They still have that chemistry when they're together though, and boy do they sizzle! I'm not going to say anymore as that could spoil it, so all I can say is READ THIS BOOK!!! It's got it all - love, humour, heartbreak, and of course STEAM!!

In case you haven't guessed already, I loved this book! Right from the gorgeous cover to the very end. I loved the characters, I loved the story, and I loved the carnival setting. I could almost smell the cotton candy and hot dogs, and the story was just like the carnival - magical! Now I have to try and wait patiently for the next book!

American 50s Diner Furniture Budget Retro Style Table and 4 Red Chairs
American 50s Diner Furniture Budget Retro Style Table and 4 Red Chairs
Offered by Jane Harris Interiors Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for Diner themed kitchen, 19 Jan. 2015
Love the style, the price was god when we bought it as it was on special offer, however had I paid full price I wouldn't have been so impressed. The table isn't that big, nor is it very sturdy, but it does look good in my American diner themed kitchen so I am still happy.

Cherish (Covet, #1.5)
Cherish (Covet, #1.5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 19 Jan. 2015
I loved Covet, so when I heard Tracey Garvis Graves was writing a follow up for Daniel I was excited to read it. It didn't disappoint, I loved catching up with Daniel, and I was keen to see how he was following the events at the end of Covet. I was pleased to see his ex-wife Jess come through for him, and be there when he needed her. I don't want to spoil this, so if you liked Covet, I would recommend this one. The author captures the reality of marriage so well in these books, the real life day in day out trials and tribulations and shows that it's not all hearts and flowers and that you have to work at it sometimes.

Mini kitty- xmas gift High quality luxury lovely elegant romantic 3D Bling pink tinkerbell Crystal Rhinestone PU Leather Flip Wallet Case Cover for iphone 5C ,as a good gift
Offered by Mini Kitty

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty, bling cover, 19 Jan. 2015
Love this cover, looks lovely and very bling!

Apexel Lichee Pattern Wallet PU Leather Case with Card Slot, Holder and Universal Stylus Pen for Apple iPhone 5C - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 19 Jan. 2015
does the job, came next day with prime delivery.

How the In-Laws Wrecked Christmas
How the In-Laws Wrecked Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quick Christmassy read - I don't usually like short ..., 19 Jan. 2015
Nice quick Christmassy read - I don't usually like short stories, but I do like Fiona Gibson so when I saw this I thought I would give it a go. Pleased I did!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14