Profile for Jo Blogs > Reviews

Jo Blogs (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading
Truly, Madly, Greekly: Sizzling summer reading

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book to get you in the mood for summer. It has sun, sea, sand and .... ouzo!, 22 May 2015
This is the perfect summer read, you can just imagine lying on those sunbeds, basking in the sun, walking down Sidari high street and calling into The Smugglers Inn for some proper English food. Actually, I don't need to imagine it, I've been there and got the t-shirt! (And they do a lush Sunday dinner!)
I loved this heartwarming and funny tale of self discovery and new beginnings. Ellen and Lacey expected to spend the week planning a wedding but you know what they say, 'the best laid plans of mice and men...' and things definitely don't go to plan on this trip!
I enjoyed seeing Ellen come out of her shell and start to enjoy herself, she arrived carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders and I felt so sorry for her. Yan was just so damn lovely, it was hard for her to resist his charms for long, and I can't say I blame her either. I wondered how much they could really get to know each other in a week, and what would happen once the holiday was over. I loved how their friendship developed, and seeing them open up to each other. It was very touching, and I finished reading with tears in my eyes.
I'm basking in a feelgood glow after reading this lovely story, Mandy Baggot has captured that holiday feeling so perfectly and has me chomping at the bit for my own Greek holiday later this year! OPA!!

The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Before you think that this is going to be a depressing and sad story, I’ll stop you right there, 14 May 2015
What a refreshingly different book this was. I’ve never read a story told from the point of view of a dead person before! Before you think that this is going to be a depressing and sad story, I’ll stop you right there. This was not like The Lovely Bones, yes our heroine is dead, and she’s on a mission to find out how she woke up dead in bed, but I found myself laughing throughout this book.

Rosie Potter is a twenty something Irish girl, who wakes up with a banging headache and a very messy bedroom. Thinking she’s been burgled, she calls out for her house mate and best friend Jenny but then gets the shock of her life at what happens next. Discovering your dead body, lying in bed with a serious head wound would be enough to send anyone running for the hills, but not Rosie. She decides that the reason she is still here must be to find the culprit and bring him to justice.

As Rosie sets about her mission to find her killer, she also visits her family, hoping that somehow her presence will be felt and be of some comfort to them. She hangs around town, listening in on conversations, she tries to communicate with Jack, (her boyfriend) Jenny and her family but no one can hear her. Just as she starts thinking that she is going to be on her own, she finds a surprising ally, someone who can see and hear her perfectly well.

With someone in the land of the living helping her, Rosie sets out to expose her killer, and stop them from hurting anyone else, and whilst this sounds like it could be a plot from a thrilling murder mystery, it was actually more like a comedy. What would you do if you could come back to haunt someone? Someone who had done you wrong? Imagine the possibilities! I laughed at the antics Rosie got up to, and the reactions of her suspected killer!

I loved the relationship Rosie had with her ally. You could see they were perfect for each other, apart from the fact that Rosie was dead. How ironic that you find the love of your life when yours has just ended. It was quite sad really and I found myself thinking of Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore in Ghost. I felt so sorry for them, but then the film itself was actually quoted, which made me laugh again!

I’m excitedly hissing in his ear, ‘Maybe you should tell her I’m here. You can be like Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost, giving her messages from me and stuff. Go on, tell her I said “Hullooooooo” in a big spooky voice.’

The story picked up pace towards the end, with one shocker that I didn’t see coming. Things certainly weren’t as clear cut as it had seemed, but I was happy with how it ended.

I really enjoyed this book, it was a refreshing spin on the paranormal genre. The heroine was likeable, and her acceptance of her sudden demise was utterly charming. There was a very poignant message in the book also, to take each day and live it as though it’s your last. You never know what’s round the corner, you think you have all the time in the world, until suddenly, you don’t. Things that needed to be said are left unsaid, actions are left undone, and eternity is a long time to spend regretting something.

This is the man I should have been with. The man I could have made a life with, the man I always knew deep down inside I wanted more than anything in the world. I wasted so much time, because I didn’t know that my time was so severely limited. And now my hands are completely tied. There’s no possible way I can ever have that life now; the sweet, sweet life that suddenly seems so clear, so obvious, so tantalisingly close. I could almost reach out and touch it. I don’t have any life anymore, I’m just clinging on by my fingertips to the remnants of my old, snuffed out version. I don’t want to be here any longer – it’s too hard. I want to go wherever it is I’m supposed to be going. Why am I still here anyway?

I loved the sentiment of this story – it made me laugh, it made me think, and the end left me with tears in my eyes. This was a very good debut from the author, and I hope to see more books from Kate Winter in the very near future.

Under the Influence
Under the Influence

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Under the Influence of Dalton Greer!, 11 May 2015
I’ve been waiting for this book for what feels like forever and boy was I rewarded for my patience! The teasers had already done their job and had me hooked on this story before it even started. This tale of friendship, love and second chances was everything I was hoping for and more.

Dalton and Spencer had been together since they were 12, childhood friends but nothing more although Spencer harboured what she thought was an unrequited crush on Dalton. Finally spurred into action, thanks to a cunning plan by Cassie (Spencer’s best friend) Dalton admits his feelings but he thinks he is too much of a risk to Spencer. He’s damaged and has been pulled into a life he has no way of escaping. He doesn’t want to bring Spencer down with him and he doesn’t think she fully understands the demons he has to battle.

“I want you, Spence, but I can’t have you. I won’t allow it. You’re too good, too pure, too innocent, and just as your presence soothes me, mine will eventually flaw you. It’s inevitable, and I care too much for you to let that happen.”

Little does Dalton realise, Spencer has her own demons, and she’s a lot stronger than he thinks. I loved watching their friendship develop into a relationship. The transition was seamless, there was no awkwardness or shyness, this was what they’d been waiting for and they weren’t going to waste another minute. Unfortunately, life had other plans and things got dangerously close to home, too close for Dalton’s liking and he had to make the most difficult decision of his life. He had no choice, he would do anything to keep Spencer safe, but in doing so, he also broke her.

The story is told in three parts, and I love the way L.B. Simmons went with it. The first part is where we’re introduced to Dalton, Spencer, and also Cassie, Rat (Dalton’s brother in arms), and Lawson, who will go on to become a pivotal part of Dalton’s life. We see the characters as 18 year olds, with their whole lives ahead of them. We see Spencer experience her firsts with Dalton, and also the dynamics of their relationships with those around them. And we see those characters torn apart by circumstances beyond their control. Part two broke me! I cried for Spencer, for her loneliness, I cried for Dalton, for his pain and I loved him even more for his selflessness. He put Spencer’s safety above his happiness, everything he did was with her in mind. I hoped that the wheels that had been put in motion would come to fruition and it would be worth all the heartbreak. Part three is about redemption, forgiveness, and second chances. I can’t say too much more as I don’t want to spoil the story.

I have to give Cassie and Rat special mentions too. I loved Cassie, she had a heart of gold and was there every step of the way for Spencer. Every girl should have a friend like Cassie. She also deserves a nomination for ‘Best Line in a Book’ after coming out with this little beauty “I’m totally serious Spence, I swear on my Kindle”. I knew then that Cassie was a girl after my own heart! And then there’s Rat, living the same life as Dalton, and the only one who knew both sides of him. I laughed at some of the things that he came out with, and I shed tears at the unfair hand he was dealt.

This is one of those stories where I just want to shout “ONE CLICK THIS BOOK NOW!” because L.B. Simmons absolutely nailed it!

Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
Hell's Kitchen: Volume 1
by Hart Saint Germain

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too many points of view - there are 8 in total!, 13 April 2015
It wasn't what I expected - I bought it expecting a Mafia thriller, but it was far from that. I haven't read either of these authors before, but I was intrigued by the blurb. I knew it was the first book in a series but I expected more action than there actually was. There was more sex in it than violence, and it was more erotica than a gangster thriller. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not what I was expecting. It was really hard to get into, far too many points of view. I counted 8. Eight different viewpoints. That's a lot for any book, let alone a book that is only 159 pages long. It was confusing and made it hard to care enough about the characters to want to read the second book.

Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)
Sweet Hope (Sweet Home Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this series, I loved Ally, and I loved Elpidio!, 29 Mar. 2015
I think this book just took over as favourite of the series! I loved it all!
After all the teasers we finally find out who Elpidio is, and like Ally, he has my heart.
It was heartbreaking, poignant and bittersweet, Elpidio had come through a terrible life believing he wasn't worth of love, but Ally gave him hope, and she was his salvation.
I've loved reading this series and I'm sad to say goodbye to the characters, but Tillie Cole made sure the series ended on a high! Also, you'll probably need tissues, and maybe you should read the book in private and not at work like I did - I shed a few tears throughout this book, then the epilogue AND the bonus chapter had me bawling like a baby!

His Only Wife (The Compound Series)
His Only Wife (The Compound Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars A sweet novella and fitting end to Brin and Porter's story, 29 Mar. 2015
Wife Number Seven was one of my favourite books of last year, so when I heard Melissa Brown was giving Brin and Porter a follow up novella I was really excited! Before you go any further, I have to say that you need to read WN7 before you read this book.

This was a quick read for me, and I really enjoyed it. The story picks up 3 years after the end of Wife Number Seven. Brin and Porter are living together, but it hasn’t been all plain sailing. They have faced their share of trials, but still manage to come out on top. We get both Brin and Porter’s point of view in this story, and Porter explains the battles he has faced with his addiction, and how he manages it. I loved catching up with them, seeing the natural progression of their relationship, and Porter’s desire to take it to the next stage.

There are a few friends that they are able to count on, Tiffany is still part of their lives, and I loved seeing Porters relationship with his sponsor Jesse, but I wasn’t particularly fond of the way the story switched to a third party narrative for Tiffany’s chapter.

Melissa Brown has given Brinley and Porter a really sweet, and very fitting end to their story, and the final part was just perfect!

Revved
Revved

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, smoking hot romance!, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Revved (Kindle Edition)
Over two years ago, on a cold Sunday in December, I picked up my kindle and started reading a book about a journalist and a rock star, I was so engrossed in it that I didn’t move from the couch until I was done hours later. That book was The Mighty Storm by Samantha Towle, and history repeated itself this Sunday when I picked up Revved!

I’ve never read a book set in the world of Formula One racing, I’ve never been interested in F1 at all. It’s always been that annoying noise in the background on a Sunday afternoon, but I was hooked from the explosive prologue, and couldn’t put it down until the book was finished. I loved that the setting was different to the usual books I’ve been reading, in that the hero Carrick was a Formula One race car driver, and our heroine Andi was a female mechanic in a very male dominated world.

I loved how confident Andi was, and the relationship she had with her ‘Uncle John’ who was a father figure to her. There were times when I just wanted to shake some sense into her though. Her reluctance to get involved with Carrick was understandable but I wanted her tell him her fears, so that he would understand instead of the poor guy feeling confused and hurt.

I laughed at how Andi quickly put Carrick in his place at their first meeting, but after that, they settled into a friendly relationship which was really quite sweet. The banter they had with each other was funny, but there was always the underlying attraction, smouldering away and I knew it was only a matter of time before they caved.

“I can’t do this anymore, Andressa. I thought I could handle just being your friend, but I can’t. I’m tired of pretending, pretending that I don’t feel what I feel for you. I want you, and it’s not going away. And I know you feel the same. I can see it in your eyes…feel it in your body.”

Now we get to the man himself…. O.M.G. Carrick Ryan! HOT DAMN! *fans self* He’s the star of Formula 1, the young Irish boy done good. He’s not used to women saying “No” to him so when Andi fails to succumb to his charms he’s bemused. He was so confident and cocky yet as the book went on you could see he has a vulnerable side, the side no one gets to see. He’s afraid of rejection so Andi blowing hot and cold with him has his emotions all over the place. I really felt for him when Andi would get cold feet and try to bail out, and I wondered how much more he would be able to take.

“From the moment I met you, Andressa, I thought you were strong, maybe the strongest person I’d ever met, and I admired that about you.” He lets out a staggered breath. “But I’ve come to realize something.” He leans in to me, his face close to mine. I suck in a breath at the absolute blackness in his eyes, feeling it closing in all around me. “You’re not strong. You’re a coward. And I’m done.”

There are so many things I want to mention, but I don’t want to spoil the story. I’m going to throw some words out that will sound random now but once you read it, you’ll know what I mean….. Lightning McQueen, the stairwell, and the car auction are all words that stir up my emotions just thinking about the scenes that they refer to.

In a nutshell, this book had everything I like in a story. I cried, I laughed, I seethed, I cheered, and I nearly combusted! The chemistry between the two main characters was smoking hot, and I loved every minute of it! If you’re looking for a fast paced standalone story with a feisty heroine and a hot, cocky but sensitive hero then this is your book.

Cement Heart
Cement Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Viper is full of surprises!, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Cement Heart (Kindle Edition)
What can I say about this book that will convey how much I loved it, without giving away any spoilers? I went into this book without reading the blurb or any other reviews. I knew it was Vipers book, but that was it. I was ready to laugh, and to see Viper get a taste of his own medicine. I thought I was going to see the legendary player get played. How wrong I was! I'm not going to say a whole lot about the story because I think going in blind is the best way to enjoy this story. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!

The book started off just as I expected, with Viper in the midst of his *ahem* 'exploits'. He's quite happy with his life, and has no intention of anything changing any time soon. He has his women, he has his hockey, and he has Gam. Gam is his elderly grandmother, the only family he has. I loved her! She may be old, but that doesn't stop her having fun, and the things she came out with had me laughing!

I had seen a few comments on the author's facebook page, with people saying they had been laughing one minute, then crying the next. It made me curious, I mean, why would Vipers story make people cry. Well, around 30% into the book I found out. And yes, I cried too. Beth threw me a curveball because I did not see it coming, and I had to wonder how Viper would come back from that. What followed was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. Viper spiralled into depression but then he found something to cling on to, someone to make his days a bit brighter and gradually his 'Cement Heart' softened. The guy who you would least expect to mature, really stepped up to the mark, and I loved watching the transformation!

I loved the other books in Beth's Cranberry Inn series, so I was really pleased to see Kacie and Brodie pop up from time to time, and see what was going on with them. Beth Ehemann has a way of drawing you into the world of her characters, you feel like you're there with them, and you care what happens to them. I love that the situations they find themselves in are true to life. You can put yourself in their shoes, you envisage how you would handle it, and in this case, you pray that you would never have to. This book really makes you think. You get one shot at life, and if you get a chance to be happy, you should grab it with both hands, because you never know whats round the corner. As Forrest Gump's momma said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get."
I hope that there are more books to come from this series, I really, REALLY want Andy's story, and of course I'll be hoping to see more of Brody, Kacie, Viper and ..... Nope! My lips are sealed! You'll have to read this book to find out who ;)

5 Stars

Waiting for April
Waiting for April

5.0 out of 5 stars A paranormal with a difference!, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Waiting for April (Kindle Edition)
I was drawn to this book partly by the cover, but also the blurb intrigued me. I love paranormal stories but lately its hard to find one that doesn't have vampires and werewolves in. This one was completely different, and refreshing. It explores the concept of reincarnation and immortality, throw in two lovers that are destined to be together but somehow get torn apart time and time again for the last three hundred years, and you have yourself a great story. There were twists and turns aplenty in this book, ones that I didn't see coming. I loved Scott and April, and as the story really started to pick up pace towards the end I hoped that this time April would make it past her 18th birthday. There are still so many things that have been left unresolved, so I am hoping there's going to be a second book. Great debut book from Jaime Loren.

*Review copy recieved via NetGalley*

A Stone in the Sea (A Bleeding Stars Novel Book 1)
A Stone in the Sea (A Bleeding Stars Novel Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, but it didn't wow me, 27 Feb. 2015
3.5 stars

This is a really hard review to write, and it's going to be a short one. The reason for this is that although I enjoyed reading this book, it didn't wow me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It wasn't a bad book, not at all, but it was just a regular read for me. It didn't stand out as spectacular, it didn't give me the feels, but it also wasn't a book that I thought `meh' about. It's hard to put into words. I think maybe I've been spoilt in the past with Ms Jackson's writing. Her books have always pulled me in from the very beginning, and the emotion in her stories has enveloped me completely, but with this story I just didn't get that. Now, I am also a strong believer that a book can relate to different readers in different ways, and it can also depend on the mood of the reader at that time. At another point in time I could perceive the book differently, but I have to call it as I see it now.

So what did I like? I liked the two main characters, in fact I loved them. They were both carrying a lot of weight on their shoulders and had resigned themselves to a life on their own, with no significant other to share it with. They believed they had too much baggage to carry, and they didn't want to drag anyone else into their lives. They were drawn to each other, probably because they had so much in common but didn't even realise it. I liked the background characters too, especially Shea's uncle Charlie, and the other Sunder band members. I loved how the guys all looked out for each other and had Sebastian's back all the way.

Shea and Sebastian (aka Baz) are both holding secrets and this lead to one of my gripes. As the book is told from the point of view of both characters, we know that they have secrets, but there are only hints at what they are hiding. There is a pivotal part of the book where Shea discovers something about Baz and she is devastated and feels betrayed, yet I thought that was very hypocritical of her given that she has been hiding something from him!

I guessed pretty early on in the book what Shea's secret was, so when it was revealed it wasn't a huge shock to me, however the way it came out was, and I did not expect it to end that way! I am interested to see what happens next, and what's in store for Baz and Shea. I think they both have issues that need resolving before they can move on, but as this is the first book in a trilogy there is plenty of time for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15