Profile for Heather Hunt > Reviews

Find Your Power: A Toolkit for Resilience and Positive Change
Find Your Power: A Toolkit for Resilience and Positive Change
by Chris Johnstone

5.0 out of 5 stars A call to adventure, 2 Aug. 2010
I highly recommend "Find your Power" if, like me, you are concerned about climate change or involved in Transition Town initiatives. I found it much more than a self help personal growth book, as it points ways to cut through our consumer culture to identify our deeper purpose. I love the idea of our call to adventure, particularly in this time of great ecological and political challenges. The practical exercises to identify our motivations, based from exploring what we are really passionate about, I find usefully personally and also for connecting with others. The concepts and exercises on how we can take practical steps towards our desired future intelligently bridge that gap between feelings and attitudes and action and lend themselves to being shared with others in workshops. The book is well structured. The 300 pages are broken down into chunky chapters with engaging titles such as "bouncing back from failure and crisis" and "the power of deeper purpose." Each chapter has neat "power points" and exercises to help relate the text to our lives and plans. Chris also offers useful concepts such as "connected vision" and "dream cycles". A key message for me from this book is to keep connected with our positive motivations for what we are doing in our community and campaigning so our activities are engaging and enjoyable.
The book has increased credibility for me as I know Chris is dedicated to using his knowledge and skills in many ways to engage with others for a just and sustainable future. An example of this is the free email newsletter Chris produces "The Great Turning Times" which any search engine will find.