Profile for Tim.T > Reviews

Content by Tim.T

Tim.T "Some people would rather die than think. In fact they do." (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
DION STB1AW11+ LOW ENERGY DIGITAL SET TOP BOX 7 DAY ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE
DION STB1AW11+ LOW ENERGY DIGITAL SET TOP BOX 7 DAY ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG don't get me started, 8 Aug. 2016
If I could give this minus 5 stars I would. Avoid this rubbish like the plague. I have tried two, and both gave me constant messages on screen such as 'LCN has changed' and 'Do you want to search?'. These messages appear on screen it seems like every ten seconds, can you imagine how irritating that is? I want to smash the damn thing against a wall! Yes I have tried updating it, I have tried endless factory resets reverting to first installation, it makes no difference. If these pointless messages weren't bad enough, channels are randomly assigned 3-digit numbers all starting with 8, and then return back to what they were before! They make assigning your favorite channels irrelevant because the numbers keep changing! Sometimes the messages even interupt the general functioning of the box by preventing you from accessing menus because as soon as the messages appear they cancel whatever it is you were trying to do! It's the most annoying thing ever! Seriously I have no words strong enough that would be allowed in polite conversation to describe this garbage. I so hate it when technology which has been around for decades still hasn't been standardised or perfected. There is no excuse for this crap!

JETech® Gold Slim-Fit Smart Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (7 Inch) Tablet PC (Blue)
Offered by JEDirect UK

4.0 out of 5 stars OK does the job but..., 8 May 2016
It's hard to remove, and whoever designed it didn't seem to notice that when you fold the stand behind the Tab it annoyingly blocks the speaker, reducing sound output by quite a bit. They catered for every other port but didn't think about the speaker? I know the sound quality isn't that great anyway but this just forces you to put the volume up so high the quality drops even more. Not good.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7-inch Tablet (White) - (Quad Core 1.2GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 8GB Storage, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 2x Camera, Android 4.4)
Offered by DA TECH PRO

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 April 2016
I'm actually writing this review on my tablet. I've never used a tablet before; I've only ever used a PC. So far I really like it. I know it's my first and only tablet but my experience thus far has been good. I love being able to surf the Web from anywhere; I haven't tried surfing other wifi hot spots outside my house yet but so far the connectivity inside the house using my BT hub has been excellent. I know there are are probably other tablets that do more and do a better job at doing it, but I highly recommend this Galaxy Tab 4 if you're looking for your first tablet. 9/10

Nutribullet Graphite 8 Piece Set
Nutribullet Graphite 8 Piece Set
Offered by High Street TV

4.0 out of 5 stars It's changed the way I look at food, 6 April 2016
This review is from: Nutribullet Graphite 8 Piece Set
This gadget has changed the way I look at food; I've only had it for less than a week but I've probably ingested more fruit and veg in that week than in the past year. However, I do have a little quibble. Throughout the booklet that you get with the Nutribullet it's always telling you to not fill beyond the MAX LINE. Yet if you look at the promotional image of the Nutribullet on the front cover (which is the exact same model as mine), you can quite clearly see that it is filled to the top. It's filled WAY past the MAX LINE. In fact turn the image upside-down and you can see it's filled to the brim. So why is it ok to flaunt this rule for promotional purposes, but not once you've actually bought it? Isn't this just a tad misleading? Down to cynical marketing decisions I suppose? They thought it wouldn't look as nice two-thirds full? How bizarre.

Anyway, if you've ever seen Total Recall (the original!) near the beginning of the film you can see Arnie making himself a protein shake. What is he using? An ordinary food mixer! Apparently they didn't have Nutribullets in the future! So yes while this is a great product and I like it, and will continue to use it, if an ordinary kitchen food mixer is good enough for Arnie, it's good enough for all of us!

Turtle Beach X12 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset - Xbox 360
Turtle Beach X12 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset - Xbox 360

4.0 out of 5 stars the first and only headset I've ever used, 31 Mar. 2016
First can I recommend the XBOX 360 Optical RCA Audio Adapters Cable HDMI Cable GA82 just in case you need it and don't already have the required cables. I didn't, and I bought this with the headset. I'm glad I did.

I've been an online gamer for a while, mainly since I started playing Borderlands2. While I have played multiplayer and joined public games I've never used a headset before. One day someone randomly joined my game, and he was using a headset. Have you ever tried to coordinate gameplay when one player has a mic, and the other doesn't? It was hilarious how we tried to communicate: he'd ask me things and I'd basically nod and shake my head! Over time we played together quite a bit and eventually I decided I was going to treat myself to a headset; it would certainly make co-op a lot easier, and a lot more fun! But I didn't know which one to get. I asked this guy his opinion and he immediately recommended the Turtle Beach X12, since they were what he was using. Eventually I decided to throw caution to the wind and order a pair.

I have to say I was impressed; they do exactly what they're supposed to. You have three controls: chat volume, game volume, and bass control. These give you complete control over audio and allow you to find the right balance when chatting and gaming. The bass control is there to enhance game sounds and the overall audio experience in-game. It also has a mute button, which is self-explanatory! The mic itself is nice and flexible so you can put it in any position you need. The headset itself *is* comfortable, although like with all headphones if you wear them for hours on end they can start to hurt your ears.

Overall I'd give the Turtle Beach X12 headset 9/10. If you're looking for your first gaming headset (they can be used on PC too though I can't remember if you need additional connectors/cables for this) then I highly recommend these. Just remember to plug the chat cable from the headset into the controller - I didn't do that and it took me a while to figure out why chat wasn't working!

Desktop Clock with Automatic Calendar G236BL
Desktop Clock with Automatic Calendar G236BL

3.0 out of 5 stars Damn thing doesn't recognise Leap Years?, 29 Feb. 2016
Social services gave me a clock similar to this one for my elderly mother who has dementia. It's NOT the same model or make, I just want that to be clear. So far it has been very useful, however there seems to be a problem when it comes to strange dates and times such as Leap Years. As I write this it is Monday Feb 29th and no matter what I do the clock will not set the date or day correctly. The moment I set it to Mon Feb 29, it immediately fasts-forward, skipping through 29,30,31 to March 1st and then stops. I have tried manually setting it, and using the "auto" function. Whatever I do, the moment I switch it back to ON, it skips to March 1st. It's like it doesn't know what a Leap Year is! I'm pretty good with gadgets but this is bugging the hell out of me! Either I'm doing something wrong, or these things can't handle Leap Years. Any advice from other users would be helpful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2016 12:42 PM GMT

The Jungle Book [DVD] [1967]
The Jungle Book [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Phil Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic in every sense of the word, 8 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Jungle Book [DVD] [1967] (DVD)
I'm still trying to fathom why they bothered to do a live-action version of this timeless classic. Indeed who even remembers that? Exactly. I'm also astounded it's never been shown on UK network TV until a few days ago. What the hell? Seriously. Just a joy to watch; memorable songs, wonderful animation, and a touching story. What's not to like?

Best Of Laurel & Hardy [Way Out West/The Bohemian Girl/Saps at Sea/Sons of the Desert] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Oliver Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant...but with a caveat, 29 Oct. 2015
I just don't see how films and shorts in which Laurel&Hardy have at best a brief cameo can be classed as a Laurel&Hardy production. If you ask someone to name a Laurel&Hardy film they'll probably say 'Way Out West', which is included in this collection. But this film is over 1hr long and stars our loveable duo from beginning to end. Contrast this with 'On the Wrong Trek', a 20-minute short in which they only appear briefly as a couple of hitch-hikers, on screen for no more than 30 seconds. I know this might sound churlish, but if I pay for a Laurel&Hardy collection, is it unreasonable to expect them to be in them for a bit more than a minute?

I also don't see the point in trying to remaster such old films. They still look and sound old, and you can tell they're from the 20s, 30s. Why not just put them on disc as-is? Aside from these quibbles, this collection is first class entertainment. They prove once and for all that if you have the talent, comedy genius is ageless.

Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (Xbox 360)
Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (Xbox 360)
Offered by PROGAMES

5.0 out of 5 stars Spartan 117 reporting for duty, sir!, 9 Sept. 2015
I've just put this in my basket and am about to order it. I'm already a die-hard Halo fan so I've played this game countless times and know what to expect, but I still want to see how it looks remastered for the 360. Whether you love it or loathe it, Halo defined the FPS for generations to come. It set the standard by which today's games are judged. A true gamer cannot be without it, whether young or old.

The Complete Open All Hours - Series One-Four [1976]
The Complete Open All Hours - Series One-Four [1976]
Dvd ~ Ronnie Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars pure class, 16 July 2015
How can anyone not like Ronnie Barker and David Jason? They are absolutely perfect together. Modern comedy writers forget that in order for comedy to be funny, the characters need to be both likeable and believable. And this is why, 40 years on, this sit-com still makes me cry with laughter, and I'm a 30-something! The writing is class, the comedy timing is class. It is just pure class, and a lesson in how to do comedy. You can shove 'Mrs Brown's Boys', and 'Citizen Kahn' where the sun doesn't shine. It's a sad indictment of the BBC that I have to watch comedy from 40 years ago - from a time when they actually knew how to do comedy - instead of the lowest-common-denominator, widest-possible-appeal, politically correct garbage they spew out today. No I'm not an old fart; I just know what solid comedy and excellent writing sound like. And this is why 40 years hence people will still remember Ronnie Barker's legacy, and utterly forget the comedy drivel which has now superseded him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13