Profile for D. Yates > Reviews

D. Yates

Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground
Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 22 Mar. 2013
This is a real page turner and I zipped through it. It reads more like fiction than fact and this adds to the draw as the story pulls you in. A few eye opening hacker techniques are also revealed but nothing too technical. An interesting window on the 'hacker/cybercrim' world as was.

I've been online nearly 20 years and I enjoy reading the odd hacker book as they generally introduce some really creative and innovative individuals along with some of the darker corners of the the tech world. This is one of the better books along those lines. The Cuckoo's Egg is another that's worth checking out, although this is set around the early days of the Net pre-Web it again reads like a novel.

Anker® Golden Laptop AC Adapter Charger for Dell Inspiron 1525 1545 6400 6000 1520 1501 1750 1720 1564 510m; Dell Inspiron 1521 8600 640m 630m 1764 1721 1440 PP41l E1505 1420 1526 1370; Dell Inspiron 600m 1470 500m 700m PP29l E1705 1464 E1405 1464 E1405; fits DA13 PA-12 PA-17 Power Supply with UK Mains Cable [19.5V 3.34A 65W 18-month Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 13 Nov. 2011
My Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop adaptor died and I wasn't going to pay the £70+ that Dell wanted for a replacement, I was on the verge of ordering a new laptop and it would be money thrown away.

I searched Amazon for a cheaper Dell adaptor and found that many of them were in fact 3rd party copies masquerading as 'Genuine'.

Some reviewers had reported faults with these copies even to the point of bursting in to flame. So this wasn't an option.

So on further searching I found an adaptor that was advertised as being 3rd party but compatible, the Anker.

So I took the plunge and at £7.00 it was also cheaper than the imitators and a real bargain.

It arrived in advance of the estimate but then I did ask for express delivery.

I plugged it in as soon as it arrived and it worked no problem.

I've not even had the adaptor for a week yet but I'm a heavy user, my laptop is on 12hrs+ a day most days in constant use, and the adaptor has never got hot and handles the use admirably.

It gets less warm than my original Dell Adaptor.

Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 12:01 PM BST

Klipsch Image X1 Headphones
Klipsch Image X1 Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars After hours of research I bought these, 13 Sept. 2011
I wanted either headphones or earphones for a long flight to the States. Wearing headphones is not the coolest look but I needed something to hide or bury the engine noise. I decided a subtle earphone was the best option and checked out a few including the more expensive sets but after reading the reviews for this set I took the plunge and I'm glad I did.

They have plenty of bass if you're into beats but they were fine for watching a few films on my iPad on the flight and there was no bass heavy sound, just regular sound. They buried the engine noise fantastically without having to turn the pad up to full volume.

But as I say if you're main gig is listening to beats then they'll thump very pleasingly and loudly if you choose. And as the earphones hide external sounds you can turn your noggin in to a sub woofer if that's your bag. ;)

One final note be sure and position them properly to get the maximum effect, there's a huge difference between a proper fitting and not.

A Canterbury Tale [DVD]
A Canterbury Tale [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Portman
Offered by wantitcheaper

5.0 out of 5 stars A Film For Film Lovers, 18 July 2006
This review is from: A Canterbury Tale [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic film from Powell and Pressburger. My favourite of all their films, in fact it's in my top ten films of all time and I'm not some stuffy academic, e.g. other favourites incude Donnie Darko, The Green Mile, Finding Nemo, One flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, As Good as It Gets, Fight Club etc and this is despite this being in B & W and many of their others in the glorious, dripping and saturated colour of the 40's. As seen in A Matter Of Live And Death, Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes.

What a major loss it is to not have this in their typical stunning colour. :(

Imagine for a moment the heat of a great English summers day, the clear blue skies, the haze of the heat over the long green grass of mid-summer, the innocence of the 40's and a haunting score that connects the then modern day, with the original pilgrims to Canterbury in the middle ages...

..you know there are so many great scenes in this film I wouldn't be doing them justice trying to even attempt to describe them here.

So please just consider this a hint of the flavour -

The wierd European influence of Pressburger is evident in the Glue Man character which is fascinating. Then there's the innocent GI posted to England and we see the England of the war years through his eyes, the detective work he does investigating the Glue Man and the amazement at Cantebury Cathedral and his life changing musical experience. Then there's the village 'characters'...

To add to that there's the Land Girl story, the innocent kids playing pirates in the local pond and the local Magistrate and his struggle to educate the influx of soldiers, both UK and US, with his lectures on the archaic history of the region.

There are layers upon layers of meaning embeded within this film and you will pick up something new each time you watch it. I guarantee it! But not in a dry sanitised way but in a comfortable and enjoyable fashion. ;)

There is no other film that captures this time so well, but then does more by adding a layer of magic to make it glow.

It's this simple, if you love film this is a film you will grow to adore!

Magical! ;)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2012 2:36 AM BST