Profile for s.wren@rhbnc.ac.uk > Reviews

Northern Star
Northern Star
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Melanie C picks a part that's new, 9 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Northern Star (Audio CD)
I got this album for Christmas on the strength of the singles she'd released off it (Goin'Down/Gaga, and Northern Star), and the tracks "I Turn to You", (which she did on Later...with Jools Holland) and "Suddenly Monday"(which Chris Moyles played on Radio 1).
I didn't really expect the rest of it to be as good, but what do you know? the rest of it's pretty damn good too, and it's actually my "most played" CD since Christmas, even more than the excellent and more commercially successful "On How Life Is" by Macy Gray.
First impressions of about half the songs were that they were only average space fillers, but one by one they each grew on me so much. Some of the lyrics are a bit naff (in particular I thought If That Were Me was cringy and sentimental at first)in places, but the sheer humm-ability of the songs wins you over. (Hey, most people don't complain about Oasis and the Beatles singing about Wonderwalls and Walruses).
Standout tracks for me are Go!, I Turn To You (you'd be Really Stupid not to release this one Mel), Northern Star and Be the One. Goin' Down seems to be one of those Love it/ Hate it songs, and when I first heard it I was like "Oh my God what the hell are you doin', Mel?" but after a few listens you can't help but bounce round the room to it, and the middle eight part ("I'm singing it loud and I don't care") really hits the spot, delivered with real gusto from Mel.
My favourite one keeps changing depending on my mood. That's the good thing about this album, it's so varied, no one could seriously say the songs sound the same (well, if you do, you're just plain WRONG!)
Having a "sound" is something that many bands strive for, but this album's diversity is only the result of someone who just plain Likes Music, no matter what sort. If it's good, it's in there, whether rock, soulful ballad, rap, dance or whatever. Mel's voice is powerful enough to carry off the faster, rocky stuff with conviction, and also happily makes the transition to the slower more demanding material, proving what a versatile singer she is (actually I hadn't thought of it before, maybe the range of songs on this album has a teeny bit of "look what I can do" about it. Cunning.) The only songs that I feel let this album down a bit are the interminable Why (which is a question I find myself repeatedly asking about it) and the closing track Feel the Sun, both of which are a bit too slow and shapeless. Otherwise, a cracking first album from The Most Talented One TM, and the discerning music public should certainly look forward to more from this professional and talented artist. Track Ratings: 1. Go! ***** 2. Northern Star ***** 3. Goin' Down **** 4. I Turn to You ***** 5. If That Were Me **** 6. Never Be The Same Again **** 7. Why *** 8. Suddenly Monday **** 9. Gaga **** 10. Be the One **** 11. Closer ***1/2 12. Feel the Sun **

The Last Of The Mohicans - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Last Of The Mohicans - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, stirring score from the epic adventure film, 7 Nov. 1999
This joint offering from composers Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman delivers the best music from this modern epic on a 16 track CD. The film stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeline Stowe, Johdi May, and Steven Waddington and is a liberal interpretation of the book by Fenimore-Cooper, directed by Micheal Mann. The first time I saw the film, one of the main things that stayed with me for ages after was the score. In turns haunting, romantic and dramatic, the score complemented the action parts and the slower parts equally well, but is just as rewarding as stand alone music on a CD. Standout tracks for me include tracks 1 (main title), 2 (the hunt), 6 (the epic end piece Promentory)and the final track 16, a hypnotic celtic piece by Clannad used in the film. This is one of the most played soundtracks in my collection and in my opinion is an undiscovered gem. A most deserved five stars go out to it.