Profile for MinoltaSnapper > Reviews

Content by MinoltaSnapper

MinoltaSnapper

Page: 1 | 2
iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd Generation) 2017 Case, ESR Clear Hard Back Case [Perfect Match with Smart Keyboard] Slim Fit Back Shell Cover for iPad Pro 12.9" (2017 Released) (Clear)
Offered by Illusdesign Direct UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good case, 1 Aug. 2017
Case is a perfect fit, and strong enough to be good protection. Prompt service from seller.

iPad Pro 9.7 Case, Boriyuan iPad Pro 9.7 Leather Case Folio Stand Cover with Auto Sleep/Wake Function for Apple iPad Pro 9.7 inch 2016 + Screen Protector + Stylus, Brown
Offered by Boriyuan Leather Co., LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, but..., 6 Nov. 2016
I ordered this on the basis that it was a nice looking leather case, which also included a screen protector for the front of the pad. It didn't. I double checked all the packaging, but no protector or cleaning cloth as advertised. I've now had to order a protector separately from elsewhere, which is an annoyance. The case is nice enough and will serve its purpose, but I'm irritated enough by the false advertising to knock off a couple of stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2016 2:04 AM GMT

The Rise of Zenobia (Overlord Book 1)
The Rise of Zenobia (Overlord Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning - present tense writing throughout, 7 Nov. 2014
This book turns out to be written in the present tense all the way through, or at least as far as I got. If, like me, you just can't read novels written all the the present tense, this is a heads-up that you'll want to give this one a miss. I can't comment on how good or otherwise it may be, as the style just prevents me from reading it at all. It's a personal thing, and it may not bother you, but it turns me off totally, and I wish there'd been a review pointing this out before I spent money on it. Luckily it was on sale, so I've only wasted £1.80, but even so. :-(

STARGATE SG-1: Hostile Ground
STARGATE SG-1: Hostile Ground

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Aug. 2014
I don't usually do book reviews, and when I do, it's usually because they're so bad I feel a duty to warn others off. Not in this case! This SG1 novel is nothing short of superb. I've read them all, and this is undoubtedly the best to date. The authors capture the characterisations spot-on, you can hear the characters in your head and they sound absolutely right. We're immediately thrown into a crisis, with a team member seriously wounded, and things only get more tense from there.

With the team stranded in an unknown location, Jack is under intense pressure to get back to the SGC to meet with the Tollan, and stop Earth's allies abandoning her. Set between 100 Days and Shades of Grey, Jack is not on the best of terms with his team, and the cracks are showing when he can't reveal his upcoming undercover mission to root out the SGC traitor. So we think we know what's going on. A cracking adventure follows, and as the end of the book approaches, you wonder how things can possibly turn out well when it all looks so grim.

Then 97% of the way through, comes The Twist. And it's a corker. Not *entirely* original to anyone familiar with the wider SF genre, but nonetheless, a corker. The ending that follows close on its heels is both literally devastating, and entirely in character. Be warned - it's also a cliff-hanger of monumental proportions!

I look forward to the second book in this series with great impatience!

Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox
Fortune's Pawn: Book 1 of Paradox

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but, 30 May 2014
I don't know who this trilogy is supposed to appeal to. It has both Love Story, and Military Sci-Fi sides. Those who want to read a love story would surely be put off by the military sci-fi; conversely those who want to read the military sci-fi would be put off by the love story … I know *I* was. I felt the whole love story got to be tedious, and slowed the overall plot down a lot at times, as we got pages of "mushy stuff", so my rating is lower because of that.

Another aspect which I found tedious by the second book, was that there are so many reversals of viewpoint about who are the 'goodies' and who are the 'baddies', that I didn't know whether I was coming or going, or who to root for. Every 'betrayal' usually turned out not to be, and this plot device therefore lost its impact after the first couple of uses.

The writing is good enough, the heroine suitably kick-ass, and there are some good characterisations and nifty ideas. BUT. I had to struggle to get through the trilogy … I did, but it was hard going.

If you want to read this kind of thing done properly, read Tanya Huff's "Valour Confederation" series. Much better than this one.

Navajo Autumn: A Navajo Nation Mystery
Navajo Autumn: A Navajo Nation Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not great, 1 May 2014
First be aware - this book isn't as long as you think it is. It ran only to 82% on my Kindle, before ending. The rest of the space is taken up by a 'preview' of the next book. Personally, I hate that practice. If I *want* to read the next book in a series, I'll buy it; I *don't* want to be mislead by padding on the end of the book I'm currently reading.

Then there's the ending. It's very abrupt. The whole thing just kind of ... stops. And with one bound, it was all solved, sort of thing. It felt like the author had run out of time, patience or ideas. I was left feeling "is that *it?* Rather a disappointing end to what had been a good enough story till then.

That said, it wasn't special enough to make me want to read the next one.

Sorbothane Double Strike Insoles - Red/Grey, Size 3-4 EU 35-37
Sorbothane Double Strike Insoles - Red/Grey, Size 3-4 EU 35-37
Offered by Wisdens Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 25 Feb. 2014
I wanted better insoles for a pair of walking shoes, size 5. As advised in another review, the 3-4 size Sorbothanes fit perfectly - take out the original set first, put these in, and you're good to go. These are sturdier than the original set, better padded at ball and heel, and very comfy to walk on.

Expert Shield *Lifetime Guarantee* - THE Screen Protector for: (Olympus OM-D E-M1/EM-10 Crystal Clear Expert Shield)
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 15 Jan. 2014
I got this for a new OM-D EM-1, figuring that as the camera is not exactly cheap, it'd be good to protect the screen as well as possible. Sometimes protectors can turn out to be just "generic",and a few millimetres too small in one or other direction; this one is exactly the right size for the OM-D screen. Simple instructions, easy application first time, no bubbles. Touchscreen capability unimpaired. Happy with it.

Canon SELPHY CP900 Compact Photo Printer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Canon SELPHY CP900 Compact Photo Printer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little printer, let down by lack of accessories, 14 April 2013
A couple of things to be aware of with this printer: firstly, it does NOT come with either ribbon or paper included, you need to buy those separately, or be very frustrated that you can't try out your new purchase at once. Best value box set is the KP-108IN, with 3 ribbons and 108 sheets of 4x6 paper.

Secondly, for anyone on Mac running Mountain Lion, the included software disc does NOT support Mountain Lion. Yeah, really. How long has Mountain Lion been available now? Must do better, Canon. Anyway, you'll have to go to Canon UK website/support and download the appropriate driver from there.

Once you get past these initial hurdles, things get better. The printer is compact, but rattles out prints within a minute, and the colours are pretty accurate right out of the box - I haven't even bothered with profiles. The Canon Easy Print app (from your app store) lets you print by wi-if direct from your phone or iPad with no hassle. You could carry the whole thing easily to an event, and print onsite. If you just want something to print the occasional snap from your phone, or a set of holiday prints right from the memory card or computer, this is ideal. Easy to set up and simple to operate - what more do you need?

(Well, a ribbon and some paper in the box would be nice!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 12:41 AM GMT

BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking
BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 11 April 2013
Despite being both ex-directory, AND registered with the Telephone Preference Service, I was still getting calls from "tele-pests". One market research company (using two different numbers to disguise themselves - I googled the numbers and found out who they were) had called every day at varying times for two months. Given that I *never once* answered, letting my phone screen for me, you'd think they would have taken the hint; but no.

I wanted a new phone anyway, so I looked around and saw that this model had a call-blocking feature ... decision made! Both numbers went immediately onto the blocked list, and so far - blissful silence!! It does what it says on the box.

The unit is small & neat, with a nice audible beep if you have an anwserphone message ... very useful for those of us who never actually look at the phone to see a flashing light. Although it says to charge batteries for 24hr before use, in practice I found that 5-6 hr was enough to get started.

If I have two criticisms, they are

1) The handset does not sit very securely on the base cradle, and is very easy to knock off accidentally, sending it crashing to the floor. The connection between the two should be tighter.

2) The full user guide is not included, you have to go online to find it, and print it off, which given that it's 90 pages, is tedious and expensive on a home printer, and leaves you with a massive document instead of a neat little booklet.

Otherwise, very pleased with it, and may get an additional handset at some point.

Page: 1 | 2