Profile for Adam Monaghan > Reviews

Content by Adam Monaghan

Adam Monaghan "Artman" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fuji X100F 24.3 MP 3-Inch LCD Camera with 23 mm f/2.0 Fujinon Lens Kit - Black
Fuji X100F 24.3 MP 3-Inch LCD Camera with 23 mm f/2.0 Fujinon Lens Kit - Black
Offered by Camera Centre UK
Price: £1,245.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Still quirky, but still loved!, 20 Aug. 2017
A little pre amble.... I had bought an X100 when it came out, desperate to love it, but its performance just didn't match it's looks, so I sold it quite quickly. I then 'gambled' on the XT1 when that came out, and did love it. It had its 'issues' but overall it worked well for what I shoot. Then I bought an XT2, (and sold all my Canon gear). The XT2 improved on all the weaker areas and is, for now, my jobbing camera.

So I do love Fuji cameras but I don't feel like an uncritical fanboy... They certainly still have their quirks!

I played with an X100F in Asia prior to its release in Europe and immediately noticed the layout improvements, especially removing the left side buttons and having the same focus joystick as the XT2. This felt like the camera I had wanted the X100 to be and finally the one I'd buy again. (I, perhaps irrationally, didn't think the X100S or X100T had solved enough of the X100 issues to be worth investing in.) It took another six months to find one in black available in Europe, so I was pretty excited to finally get my hands on it!

The good points:

Far quicker focusing than before.
It looks beautiful. (I still think it's important... Firstly, the more you like something the more you'll pick it up and therefore master it and get good results. Secondly, if you're dealing with photographers, you're talking about visual people, people interested in design.... so, yes, I think it should look nice.)
Metal body. I don't worry if I clonk it down on a table.
The dials and physical controls are still a major winner. I have no problem with the ISO dial. The joystick control is brilliant. (I have quite skinny fingers though).
The wireless shooting is good - still experimenting with it, but seems very useable. (Something I never thought I'd ever play with... but actually I can see the potential).
It has ticked the box I wanted: To have a small camera, which gives good results that you can always have on you. The old saying about 'The best camera in the world is whatever camera you have on you' seems applicable here.

The bad points:

The rolling dials do not feel as robust as the XT2. On the XT2 there is a sturdiness that feels you can keep clicking that wheel for a good few years and all will be well. On the X100F, it feels little plastic.
The ISO seems quite off. (This is discussed in a few Fuji forums).
There is a noticeable difference between the viewfinder and rear screen. (Even having played with all the adjustments). So what you see in the EVF is not quite the image you end up with. The XT1 also had this, but not quite as badly. One can work around it, but...

I think there's a lot of unproductive discussion about equipment. At the end of the day, no camera does everything well. A Leica M3 is still a good camera but they'd be no point in complaining that it doesn't shoot 8 fps or have 4k video. It's not designed to do that! So no, the X100F doesn't focus as quick as my Canon D1 did. And, no, I wouldn't chose to shoot sport with it... but I didn't buy it to do that.

Likewise, all cameras have their quirks. Yes, we shouldn't expect to pay for duff equipment, but there's also a lot of complaining that's down to people spending more time moaning than they are spending learning how to use something.

Video? I have never engaged the video function on any camera I've owned, so I can't comment!

Would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely... for certain types of photography. And finally, the retailer was excellent - quick delivery. Well packaged. My box actually had a small part missing, (the hot shoe cover) and the dealer dealt with it immediately and had one sent to me within a week.

Lowepro Flipside 200 Photo Backpack for DSLR - Black
Lowepro Flipside 200 Photo Backpack for DSLR - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for smaller kit, 3 Aug. 2016
Due to the nature of the opening method, these are clearly not walk around bags where you might need to get your camera out quickly. However, these are ideal job bags, where you don't need to unpack until you arrive.

I am gradually downsizing (moving from pro size Canons to Fuji X series) and wanted something smaller to carry kit around. I've had numerous shoulder bags, but, slipping past 40, I find all my kit on one shoulder to just give me neck ache for the rest of the day. So I wanted something with two shoulder straps and also something that someone else couldn't open without me knowing! (I've never been a fan of the camera rucksacks which can be opened whilst on your back, seems like asking to have things nicked in crowded areas). So this seemed to tick the boxes.

The only dislike are the pads inside, which I'll probably convert myself. It is divided vertically, which leaves two narrow compartments. It's OK if you remove the lens, but if otherwise it doesn't really work so well. There is also a totally removable 'bag' at the top end.

Once packed, the side pocket becomes pretty tight - so don't expect to carry a lot in that! I like the inclusion of the netted side pocket which will just take a small water bottle.

The tripod support is good for a small or light mid-size tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - if you have the right size camera, 3 Aug. 2016
I love these little padded bags which mean you can use an unobtrusive shoulder bag without advertising you have a camera with you.

It will happily take Fuji X series or 35mm camera with a bit to spare. I use the divider to give me a small end space for batteries + spare card in a small box or extra films.

Can't grumble at this price either.

Fujifilm X-T1 Eye Cup
Fujifilm X-T1 Eye Cup
Offered by DigimediaUK

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent addition, 3 Aug. 2016
Certainly helps, although in certain light I still do find myself shielding my eye with the other hand. Sometimes gets caught when whipping a camera out of the bag quickly! But fortunately it stays in place (unlike Canon's - which often end up on the floor).

River Cafe Cookbook Easy
River Cafe Cookbook Easy
by Rose Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars A cook book that doesn't require a million ingredients for every dish, 3 Aug. 2016
Great simple recipes which only require a few ingredients! Thoroughly recommend!!!

Fujifilm Fujinon XF35 mm F2 R WR lens - Black
Fujifilm Fujinon XF35 mm F2 R WR lens - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I made the choice!, 3 Aug. 2016
Ummed and ahhed for ages between this and the older 1.4 model. Finally went for it and I haven't been disappointed.

I like my cameras to look nice (it shouldn't matter what camera you use if you get good photos; but it's nice to pick up something that makes you happy. And the happier it makes you feel, the more you'll use it, and the more you use it, the more likely you'll get good photos... well, that's my thinking!) I don't like the tapered barrel at all, but finally felt that the other plus points out weighed the cosmetics. (And in the end I solved this with the expensive but decent lens hood).

Having had the wider lens as my walk-around lens for over 18 months, it's taking some time to get used to the focal length, but that's just a personal quibble. The actual lens itself is superb. It focuses well, feels sturdy and clicks reassuringly into place. Since getting it, I think it's only been off the camera once - and that was for a specific portrait shoot.

People will say it's not that quick to focus, but if Don McCullin, Larry Burrows, Henri Huet et al could manually focus and correctly expose a shot under fire, then my generation has no excuse for missing a shot and blaming the autofocus! :) Maybe it's not as quick as my DSLRs but you learn to work with the tools you have and it's size, weight and capabilities more than make up for any millisecond delay in my opinion.

Travel Mask - Stellar Deluxe Eye Mask by Sleepstar - Midnight Coloured Sleep Mask - Perfect for Home and Travel
Offered by Sleepstar Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine... if you use black pillows and have a wide head!, 3 Aug. 2016
This certainly keeps out the light, but is so padded that it doesn't bend to your face very easily. However the biggest gripe is that it loses it's colour, so all your pillows end up blackened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra money, 3 Aug. 2016
I thought I'd get away with the cheaper third party brand, but having bought one it was immediately discarded. I then stumped up the cash for the proper one and haven't been disappointed.

The third party one screws into the filter thread, thus extending the overall length. Also, I really dislike the tapered shape of the lens, and hoped the hood would cover this up a bit. (I know some people love the 'Leica look' but I don't). Again, since the third party one screws on the end, you still get the tapered shape.

This one however, fits as it should with the bayonet fitting. This means it doesn't stick out so far at the end of the lens, thus reducing the overall length compared with the screw in one. Also, it helps cover the tapered shape giving the lens a much nicer shape.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - if you use the right size camera., 3 Aug. 2016
Much as you'd expect - smallish padded bag which means you can put your camera into another bag without scratching or destroying it. I guess the most necessary bit of information is the size. It can happily take the XT1 with a 35mm lens (or shorter). But not if something like the 56mm is fitted. Likewise, Pentax SL or Nikon F, FM, etc with 28mm, 35mm or 50mm lens will fit. A DSLR though? I doubt it....

The Velcro tab does the job without getting in the way.

I'll be buying another two, as for the cameras I use, they do the job nicely.

eFonto/JJC Metal Lens Hood for Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R WR lens Replacement Fuji LH-XF35-2 (Black)
Offered by eFonto UK

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a reason this is cheap..., 31 May 2016
There's a reason this is cheap... I thought I'd done well here but it's not quite as nice as it seems. It is metal, and fits 'OK' but it has a screw in attachment rather than the bayonet fitting that it should have. So once you screw this in it sticks out quite significantly making the lens even longer.

(I had hoped the hood would make the lens look less tapered - since I don't like that look - but because of how it fits, it just makes it look worse. Yes, all only cosmetic, I know....).

If style and compactness is what you need, go for the proper one!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5