Profile for J. P. Mowatt > Reviews

Content by J. P. Mowatt

J. P. Mowatt (Cambridge UK)

Page: 1 | 2
AFMS Pro Acoustic Foam Microphone Screen , Portable Vocal Booth, Reflection Filter
Offered by Comfortex

4.0 out of 5 stars It seems to do the job pretty well. I bought it to try and lower ..., 17 Dec. 2016
It seems to do the job pretty well. I bought it to try and lower the sound floor in my room and it did just enough to get the level I wanted. This accessory isn't going to rock your world but it does block some extraneous sound and therefore improves your recordings.

The Letter: The #1 Bestseller that everyone is talking about
The Letter: The #1 Bestseller that everyone is talking about

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 April 2016
A story vividly told and very moving.

The New World
The New World
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Would like to see more, 17 Jan. 2015
A really classy looking episode that managed to re-create a whole alternate world. I would love to see this made into a series

The ELF - Ultra Portable Mini Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker for All Devices with Bluetooth Capability + Siri Compatible - 8 hours Playtime (rechargeable battery) / with Built-in Mic for use as a Powerful Handsfree Speakerphone (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 Nov. 2014
A good solid, reliable piece of kit. Makes a pleasing sound too.

The Frood: The Authorised and Very Official History of Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoop that Frood, 3 Nov. 2014
A surprisingly good book.
I've studiously avoided reading biographies of Douglas Adams so far.
I've often feared that we might stray over into the dissecting of comedy problem. It's a bit like dissecting a frog. It might be an interesting exercise to do but at the end of it all you have are bits of frog.
This book was a lot of fun. I bought it looking forward to the unpublished bits of Douglas' writing that Jem had promised us. These were fun but such a lot of short unconnected pieces that felt a little strange to read one after the other. I was just beginning to enjoy the creation and then it would end for the whole process to begin again with another piece.
The biography of Douglas, however, was very entertaining indeed with Jem managing to portray a real joy and delight in the works of DNA. It gave a very clear picture of Douglas' fervent amble to fame and fortune in the world of BBC light entertainment.
Most enjoyable.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable murder mystery thriller, 31 July 2014
A fine murder mystery story. Cormoran is a great big lump of a private detective who gets himself into potentially hazardous situations without really accepting that he's no longer able to fight his way out of them. A biting story that kept me enthralled and managed to misdirect me as to the killer's identity until the final few pages.

Future Perfect
Future Perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Excellent Fun, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Future Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I was a little unsure about the first few pages. There’s a brutal murder in a public park and the murderer then runs away gibbering something about having disposed of a ‘Shaper’. This seemed a giant non sequitur to me but I just filed it away and got on with the rest of the story. This was a splendidly fast paced adventure romp full of abductions, tasering and possibly the end of life as we know it on the planet Earth.
The characters felt very real in such a way that I could almost hear them speak and picture how they might move, talk, cough or order a drink. This helped to draw me in as I was carried onwards into a world of international intrigue and downright naughtiness from the police to FBI agents and even to the dodgy seeming East European landlord who is probably not really called Nigel. This novel gave me a fine roller coaster of a ride consisting of excitement, adventure and really wild things. Very much recommended and BTW, the ‘Shaper’ episode is explained a good deal later and I was kicking myself for not having guessed what it was much earlier.

In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 1)
In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Breathless Thriller, 30 May 2014
Just another assignment. JT is researching a family who left the United States over 200 years ago. Then someone wallops him over the head and things start to get very dangerous indeed. It's all extremely riveting stuff and I raced through the book at a gallop.

The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, Book 3)
The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Queen goes to a rock concert, 11 Mar. 2014
Queen goes to a rock concert, gets over excited, causes a ruckus. A fine conclusion to this section of stories. Wibbles around a little more than Vampire Lestat and Interview With The Vampire but is still most excellent fun.

Cable Matters Active HDMI to VGA Male to Female Adapter with 1 Metre USB Power Cable in White
Offered by Cable Matters

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 1 Sept. 2012
I can only assume I must have got a faulty item as I plugged it into my Raspberry Pi and a monitor and the Pi stopped working immediately.

Page: 1 | 2