Profile for Jason Hales > Reviews

Grand Thieves & Tomb Raiders: How British Video Games Conquered the World
Grand Thieves & Tomb Raiders: How British Video Games Conquered the World
by Rebecca Levene

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder of the glory 8bit gaming days, 14 Dec. 2012
I really enjoyed this nostalgic trip down memory lane; transported back to mid 80's 8bit gaming, bedroom coding, hours spent typing in listings etc.

I'd thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in the history and evolution of the British video games industry

10 PRINT "Hello"
20 GOTO 10

SHURE CABLE RALLONGE NOIR 91CM Miscellaneous adaptators Headphone extension
SHURE CABLE RALLONGE NOIR 91CM Miscellaneous adaptators Headphone extension
Offered by AUDIOGO

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great over the long term, 11 April 2012
I've had my Shure headphones for over a year and am now about to order my third Shure Extension Cable.

Each cable only lasts for around three months (used twice daily during train commute to/from work) before I start to intermittently loose sound in one or both of the earphones. Fiddling with the connection/pulling jack in and out/rotating jack does help a bit but it's very frustrating.

At £12 at time this is a costly regular replacement and for that reason I won't be purchasing any more Shure equipment once the headphones themselves needs replacing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2012 4:32 PM BST

Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests (Beck Signature)
Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests (Beck Signature)
by Steve Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Coverage of TDD Principles, 4 Dec. 2009
Some of the other reviewers are referring to this book as 'advanced'. I think it's advanced if you're relatively new to TDD. It would certainly help if you're a competent developer (which is probably why you're looking at TDD anyway), but it's 'advanced' if you want to change the way that you develop software.

It's a good read and I found quite a few "aha" paragraphs (my copy's now punctuated with permanently folded corners/post it notes).

It's nicely written without sounding arrogant. I think it's quite a hard topic to cover without getting bogged down in the minutiae of whys and wherefores of decisions, which it covers at exactly the right level

My only criticism is that I found it wee bit annoying the way it referred to the latter worked example when introducing an aspect of TDD, forcing me to skip back and forth a bit - but I think that's just a personal book reading preference.

I'm not sure how much an experienced TDD practioner would gain from it (except to see some of your own thoughts mirrored in black and white), but would very much recommend it to those new or getting started with TDD, wishing to `do it right'

Although the code samples are in Java it is applicable to other languages, such as C#, as the concepts are language independent

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound reproduction, 4 July 2006
For the last year i've been using a pair of Sony earphones with my iPod. I really wish I'd bought the Etymotic ER-4Ps sooner.

The sound reproduction is incredible. I'm now hearing parts of music that I didn't even know where there.

If like me you spend a few hours every day commuting by train to work then I'd suggest you buy some of these - I can't believe I'm saying this but I almost enjoy travelling to work now.

I'm rediscovering old tracks that I'd previously got bored with

The sound isolation is great too, I'm no longer bothered by people's mobile conversations or even the noise of the train

As it says on their instructions you do need to push these things into the ear canal to get a good bass - it's a bit disconcerting at first but I'm getting used to it

These are expensive but I'd consider them a worth while investment. If you can afford it, go for it!

Crash: Music from & Inspired by the Film
Crash: Music from & Inspired by the Film
Offered by records100

5.0 out of 5 stars Blissful!, 14 Jan. 2006
If, like me, you were left with tingles down your spine, or indeed puffy eyes, after watching this wonderful film, then you won't be disappointed with this soundtrack.
It contains music from all of the evocotive scenes.
My ultimate favorites include Bird York's stunning In Deep, Safe Now, and No Such Things as Monsters.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 6:15 PM BST

Da Vinci Code Decoded (Disinformation Movie & Book Guides)
Da Vinci Code Decoded (Disinformation Movie & Book Guides)
by Lunn

2.0 out of 5 stars A Rather Long Winded List of Criticisms, 6 Oct. 2004
The first thing I'd say is - don't do as I did and buy this book the same day as finishing the original Da Vinci Code. I was still geared up for Dan Brown's excellent narrative style.
This book reads as a long list of topics in no real order. However, it is obviuous that a great deal of research has gone into these topics but the text just too long winded. A few less paragraphs on each may have been sufficient to counter some of Brown's fiction. I only managed to read 3/4 of the book.
I had the feeling that Lunn had a axe to grind against Brown, on what is, after all, just a work of fiction.
You will find some relevant black and white plates covering some of Da Vinci's work, Priory logos, and buildings mentioned
I'd recommend just enjoying Brown's book for what it is - unless of course you think that statement makes me a heretic/pagan

.NET Multithreading
.NET Multithreading
by Alan L. Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Coverage of Multi-threading, 7 Sept. 2004
This review is from: .NET Multithreading (Paperback)
Put simply, this book covers everything you need to know about multithreading but were afraid to ask, or didn't even know to ask.
Packed with lots of great tips and background info on the common pitfalls of this great/explosive dotnet aspect.
By the end I found that I had lots of post-it notes stuck to each chapter.
I sometimes find myself re-reading an intro paragraph in MSDN to get the gist of a new part of the framework but not in Dennis' book - his little definitions are easy to digest.