Profile for Stephen > Reviews

Stephen (London, UK)

WaveSense JAZZ Wireless Blood Glucose Meter Kit from AgaMatrix - mmol/l only
WaveSense JAZZ Wireless Blood Glucose Meter Kit from AgaMatrix - mmol/l only

3.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor, but room for improvement, 5 Sept. 2016
As a monitor, it works just fine and I have no issues with it.

PLUSES: This is my first glucose monitor with Bluetooth, and I think it's wonderful that all of my readings are automagically transferred to my phone. The app lets you add in carbs, medication, etc and lets you It's the smallest monitor I've ever owned and has the right form factor to take with you on a run. I had the Contour Next USB before this monitor, because it was the smallest and lightest monitor I could find, and the Wavesense wireless is easily less than half the size and weight of the Contour.

MINUSES: Sadly, this monitor lets itself down with its case design. Specifically, the storage pocket you're provided is secured with a thin strip of velcro which easily comes unattached, meaning you need to be careful that everything doesn't spill out every time you test. I test anywhere from 6-12 times a day, and often I'm presented with the scenario shown in the photo provided. This oversight makes it feels like the case was designed with little or no consultation from those who would be using the product. The frustration that would've been spared if a zipper was used instead of the velcro would've been well worth a modest price increase.

SUGGESTIONS: The app for this monitor is somewhat limited, compared to other diabetes management apps I've used. Roughly a quarter of the screen real estate is devoted to tracking your weight. It would be nice if this area could be customised by the user, to track something like exercise or other medications instead, as not every diabetic has trouble with their weight. There should be a 'fasting' meal marker. I feel the absence of this to be an oversight, as 'fasting' can mean something different than 'Pre-breakfast', which is the closest meal marker provided. Also, it would be nice to be able to set reminders for post-meal and post hypo/hyper testing.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bayer Contour Next USB Blood Glucose Monitoring System
Bayer Contour Next USB Blood Glucose Monitoring System
Offered by Easywellbeing

3.0 out of 5 stars Progress from earlier version, but middling at best, 23 Aug. 2016
I like that you can now log carbs and insulin (and there are more markers for meals, etc), but I also have two pet peeves with this monitor:
1) The case for the monitor is just a fraction too small, meaning that every time I test (4 to 10+ times a day), I must struggle with the zipper to get the thing closed up properly.
2) Insulin units are logged in half units, and there is no way to change this to whole units. The lion's share of T1's do not use half units, so one would expect that the mechanism in place for log entries would be able to reflect this.

Boriyuan New wireless microphone bluetooth speakers with Bluetooth V3.0 Special Waterproof design with sucker and Handfree function design, reply for calling for iPhone/iPad/intelligent mobile phone/computer/tablet PC/ Other Bluetooth Mobile Phone Color Yellow

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Speaker, shame about the suction cup, 27 April 2013
This speaker functions as well as one should expect, but a few factors let me down a bit:

1) The suction cup is EXTREMELY weak. Even wetting it before adhering it to my tiled bathroom wall does not keep it on there for long. If the suction is absolutely necessary for your intended use, I'd continue looking for a more suitable product.

2) The instructions for this product are only in Chinese. In order to determine how to use it, I googled for other bluetooth speakers which seemed to have the same button set-up. The most important thing to know is that in order to make the bluetooth signal visible, you need to hold the power button down until both the red and blue lights start blinking (5 seconds or so).

3) In a time when mini-usb is the nearly universal, this product uses the needly nokia-style charging point. This means that you now have a somewhat exotic usb charging cord to keep track of.

The Essential Blender: Guide to 3D Creation with the Open Source Suite Blender
The Essential Blender: Guide to 3D Creation with the Open Source Suite Blender
by Roland Hess

3.0 out of 5 stars A valiant effort, but..., 22 Sept. 2007
...I found it to lack some of what I have come to expect from 3D software texts.

The positives about this book...

It provides a good overview of Blender and is very throughly illustrated. It contains information on features added with Blender 2.43 which can only be found in online forums otherwise.

But the book is structured in a somewhat irratating way.

The index of the book is not at all complete, so it does become frustrating when you want information on a specific topic. I have found myself either having to thumb through entire sections of the book to find the information I need (due to an index which really could have used a bit more consideration) or resorting in frustration to online resources .

As an example, I was searching for information on adding an audio track to my animation... nothing in the index whatsoever about audio... quite an oversight, I would think. I have encountered this looking for information on other topics as well.

Hopefully, this will not be a template for future publications by the Blender Foundation. Remember that proceeds from the book do go to the Blender Foundation, so that alone would merit buying the book, but even having said that... consider this book more an introduction and overview of the software, rather than an exhaustive and indispensable resource.