Profile for lawler53 > Reviews

Who is Jill Scott?
Who is Jill Scott?
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality offering, 6 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Who is Jill Scott? (Audio CD)
When my girlfried and I split up a few months ago I recorded a lot of her music she was planning to take with her. As I knew about Jill Scott from Roots albums, I knew it was worthwhile.
'Slowly Surely' is a quality track. The lyrics perfectly sum up a women walking away from a relationship - very apt.
I've since bought this album.
Despite the emotional attachment I have with this album, it's just a superbly crafted work well up there with Erykah Badu and Kelis.
Jill Scott. At least something good came from our break up!

Illumination
Illumination
Offered by mrtopseller

1.0 out of 5 stars How the mighty have fallen, 20 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Illumination (Audio CD)
I'm sorry to have to say this, but Paul Weller has well and truly lost it. I have always been a fan of the man, Wild Wood being my all time favourite album, but this offering is absolute trash. How a bloke who put together The Jam and resurrected his career as a solo artist can pedal this absolute load of complete rubbish is beyond me. Apart from 'Written in the Stars', which I admit is a superb song, the rest of this album is lumpy rock durge and tired old tunes. My review earns one star based on the aforementioned track only. The duet with Kelly from Stereophonics is abysmal and made me want to cry. An absolute outrage. He's obviously lost the plot. Avoid like the plague.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2012 11:15 AM BST

Black on Both Sides
Black on Both Sides
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSIQUE QUALITAT, 1 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Black on Both Sides (Audio CD)
At 28 years old I have spent a lifetime listening to Guitar based music, until a couple of years ago. First it was De La Soul, then A Tribe Called Quest. When I was sure I liked Hip-Hop I got into The Jungle Brothers, Gang Starr and The Roots. Now I've found Mos Def and, to be fair, he's the cream.
Black on Both Sides is just the absolute business. From the opening 'intro' track onwards, this album just inspires. The lyrics are superb, and the beats are spot on. I hate the whole Gansta Rap scene, so quality lyrics blended with beats that help you walk rather than give you a blinding headache are what's needed. Mos Def does that.
Best tracks? Ms Fat Booty and Love stand out. But they're all superb. Q-Tip pops up later on in the album.
Get this album to complement your Soundbombing and Lyricist Lounge albums. And if you haven't heard Fortified Live (not on this album, but featuring Mos Def with Reflection Eternal) then hear it soon.