Profile for Hazel Mills > Reviews

Content by Hazel Mills

Hazel Mills "Hazel Joy" (Cambridge UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Trouble to Check Her: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
The Trouble to Check Her: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful journey, 14 Sept. 2016
What a wonderful book! I don't normally go for too many sequels and particularly not ones that aren't about Elizabeth and Darcy, however I am so glad I made this one of the exceptions. I enjoyed the book that this follows, Mistaking Her Character, and love Maria Grace's writing so I knew I was in with a good chance of an enjoyable ride. This really was 5 stars of pleasure for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Lydia's well paced journey, and the characters of the other girls at the school and the impact they made on our reluctant heroine. Mrs Drummond reminded me of my own headmistress so much! I was also rewarded with a lovely little bit of Elizabeth and Darcy's input at the end. Now, Maria Grace, I wonder what Kitty is up to?

The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen
The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen
by Ada Bright

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Charmed, 24 July 2016
What a gem of a book! Although written by two authors the book is seamless with absolutely no clue as who had written which passages.
The characters are beautifully drawn and I soon began to care about the main protagonists and, of course, a certain author. The story held me from beginning to end and was one of those books I couldn't wait to see how it turned out and was at the same time disappointed the journey was over.
You don't have to be a Jane Austen fan and know her works inside out to thoroughly enjoy this book, but for those like me who do, there are some delicious titbits here and there from the Juvenilia and from the extended history of the Austen family producing a wonderful 'link'.
The book ends very satisfyingly with more than a hint to a sequel, for which I cannot wait. I hope this is the beginning of a long and fruitful partnership if this first book is anything to go by!

Jane Austen Speaks: About Life, the Modern World, & Heavenly Pursuits
Jane Austen Speaks: About Life, the Modern World, & Heavenly Pursuits
by Maria Emilia de Medeiros

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, fun, thought provoking, 6 Jun. 2016
I would write a lengthy review but I am far to busy planning my afterlife dinner party with Jane Austen and guests after reading this fun, witty and charming book by Ms de Madeiros. Miss Austen's take on the modern world is fascinating, often laugh out loud and peppered with lovely illustrations. Having said how funny it is, the book is also very thought provoking, comparing contemporary values from Jane's own time with those in which we live now through the same witty, sometimes, quite naughty,eyes.Great fun for Austen fans but can easily be read by those who do not know her work. Now, off to plan those menus from the delicious recipes which appear as wonderful extras and work on my guest list!

Jane Austen Lives Again
Jane Austen Lives Again

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read, 5 Dec. 2015
How to make the unbelievable believable! This tale is so beautifully told with intricately interwoven characters from across Jane Austen's books. I could not help but become caught up in the lives of this disparate family group of characters as the Janes, character Austen and writer Odiwe, weave their magic to bring the family together. My heart stopped when Jane fainted; was she going to be allowed her happy ever after, or was her job done? You will have to read it to find out, it's well worth it!

The Unthinkable Triangle: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
The Unthinkable Triangle: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

5.0 out of 5 stars The unthinkable so well thought out!, 26 Sept. 2015
I have loved all of Joana Starnes books so eagerly anticipated this one but with some trepidation as I love the character of Colonel Fitzwilliam and worried for him and his HEA. The book drew me in really quickly and although it probably has more angst than I seek in these books I couldn't fail but be taken along on poor Darcy's tortuous journey so brilliantly written. For a long time I found it hard to see how the author could make things right for Darcy and Elizabeth but at no time could I possibly give up the journey with them.When they did finally find each other the scenes were written so beautifully but leaving things to the imagination so that anyone can read them. As for the Colonel's Happy Ever After? Now that looks like a whole new book!!

Alone with Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
Alone with Mr. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful variation. Enough angst and misunderstanding but not too ..., 17 April 2015
What a wonderful variation. Enough angst and misunderstanding but not too much and a great, if a bit tortuous, happy ending. Great twist for Anne de Bourgh and I didn't want to stop reading. Absolutely loved the character of Crewe, Darcy's valet! Don't do summaries and spoilers just recommended you read it!

The Falmouth Connection
The Falmouth Connection
by Joana Starnes

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful setting for an excellent read., 21 Dec. 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this variation on Pride and Prejudice where the story takes up at Hunsford when Darcy's plans are thwarted by Elizabeth being called away to Cornwall. He must therefore follow her! The characters remain true, there is angst (but not too much!), intrigue, a rival to Darcy for Elizabeth's affections, passion without being explicit, wonderful descriptions of the landscape, a surprise for Colonel Fitzwilliam and a suitable comeuppance for one so deserving of such! I couldn't wait to finish it, then was sad when I had! I really enjoy Joana Starnes writing and look forward to her next!

Pride, Prejudice and the Perfect Match
Pride, Prejudice and the Perfect Match

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable read, 1 Mar. 2014
The main characters are taken from Pride and Prejudice but the story is all the author's own. The prejudices are definitely there and for Darcy seemed so overwhelming I wondered if there really could be a happy ending! It is very well written and kept me absorbed throughout with me totally engaged in the characters, to the extent that I was personally disappointed in their dishonesty and misleading each other and kept shouting 'just talk to each other' at my Kindle! Great book.

Project Darcy
Project Darcy

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully researched fun, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Project Darcy (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this modern, timeslip version of Pride and Prejudice. Within the first few pages the five friends' characters were easily identifiable as based on the Bennet sisters, but what I loved most was the intricate weaving of what we know as true from the letters of Jane Austen with the fictional story spun by the very clever Jane Odiwe. Some may have reservations about the ending, but this is Jane Odiwe, not Jane Austen! It surprised me I must admit, but it didn't upset me. I liked the change from third person to first when we changed time and I wish I had been on the Project Darcy dig!

A Lasting Love Affair: Darcy and Elizabeth: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (A Darcy and Elizabeth Love Affair Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick but satisfying read, 7 Feb. 2014
I wanted a book to read whilst travelling back from holiday and this fit the bill nicely. I do like Pam Dixon's work and enjoyed this one very much. She has dared to do something to a major character that surprised me at the start but it was vital to the plot. Darcy seems somewhat more determined from the start than the original, but this is a variation and doesn't pretend to be anything else and this is quite a unique take! My only wish in the end was that there was more of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3